Register now to get rid of these ads!

I am quitting hot rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slazzen, May 12, 2005.

1. i just got out bid on a junker 34 sedan it had all the parts i needed for my 3 window i bid 2k thinking it wont go past $800 some newbie with a rateing of 5 just watched monster garage and out bid me !!!!crazy!!!!

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

3. dude, that's enough to drive a man to drink a case of Rockstars! I feel your pain

4. Johnny, give up hotrods and go surf with me

5. Slazz, you ever get that PM about inner fenders? Apal here has 2 sedans, I think he wants 1500 ea.

6. That's the way auctions work.

auc·tion
    Pronunciation:
    'ok-sh&n
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Latin auction-, auctio, from augEre to increase
    Date: 1595
    1 : a sale of property to the highest bidder
    2 : the act or process of bidding...

7. eberhama

eberhama

Make sure to email the seller and let him know that if aforementioned newbie fails to complete the deal, you'll be waiting in the wings with $$$. I've made deals as a buyer and as a seller this way. Seems to happen alot when noobs are involved.

8. What was the auction number?

JOE:cool:

9. 1Shot-Scot

1Shot-Scot
    from Minnesota

The best thing to do on ebay is wait until there is like 30 seconds
    left in the auction - then throw a bid in there that is the absolute
    highest that you are willing to go. That way those assholes don't
    have enough time to catch ya...

10. Squablow

Squablow

A '34 Ford relatively complete that you didn't think would do more than $800? I'd like to see it. So you're quitting hot rods because there's no more $800 34's anymore. Just cuz the guy has only 5 Ebay feedbacks doesn't mean he's a young, talentless kid watching too much TV. 2K for any '34 Ford doesn't seem outrageous to me.

11. JamesG

JamesG

Dude, calm down, step away from the mouse, take a deep breath and say, "I will read more often".......................

12. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Can I have your RPU?

13. jersey fink

jersey fink
    from jersey

they got software that will bid for you with 5 sec left,so im told never dealt with e-bay.So if thats true yer screwed.

14. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

That just means that there's a BETTER deal waiting for you down the road a piece...and the poor sucker that outbid ya will cry blue tears when he sees what YOU score!!!

:D ;) :D

15. bellyjello

bellyjello

Dude, Start going to more swap meets. You can find better deals there than on egay. Advertise in the local paper wanting old yard or barn cars.....

16. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

I can get my hands on a cool Import if you want to trade for your RPU????:D

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Wait!!!!! HELL....USE eSnipe.com and bid the most you want

Nobody knows your there till it's too late......

Saves lottsa time and money.....screw the mano-mano shit

18. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I hate snipers. If your going to bid, crap or get off the pot. Swap meets are better and funner, but don't cover as much ground as the dreaded ebay. And the inflated prices of the bay are dictating what people think their parts are worth.
    Better luck next time slazzen.

19. ray

ray
    from colorado

oh, the irony.

20. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

i got out bid by $2.50 in the last second for the rolling chassis for my truck.... i was bummed to say the least

21. djmartins

djmartins

Slazzen,

I'm afraid you either have to join the snipers or give it up.
    Unless someone else doesn't really want the item, there WILL be a sniper
    you don't know about who'll bid on it.
    I use one called Snip out of Poland. Works great and is cheap.
    I too love swap meets, but the long drives to get to them suck and if I am not there first thing in the morning, all the good stuff is already sold and marked up for me to buy when I do get there. :D

regards,
    Doug

22. Mutt

Mutt

I've said it before and I'll say it again - If you bid the maximum you will pay for an item, you can't blame snipers, slow computers or anything else for not getting the item. If you are outbid, after you bid the most you're willing to pay, the other person wanted it worse than you did.

If you are at a live auction, and reach your maximum, you stop bidding. If someone else wants it, they keep going. It's very simple.

The only thing a sniper can do is stop you from getting a bargain. If you NEED the item, don't look for a bargain.

Mutt

23. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Some folks don't know how E bay works. Waiting till the last 30 seconds and bidding is very poor policy .
    When I find something I want I will bid my highest price even if it's the first day .E bay then keeps me current with the high bid until I reach my top bid. I don't even look at the item again until I am notified that the auction is over.
    You see any auctioneer knows that if you keep the bidders interest up you will tell yourself "It's only another $1 or $2 what the heck ,I really want it"
    pretty soon your over your head.

My advice ,buy locally ,sell on ebay.

Over $1000 profit last month.

24. McFly

McFly

I couldn't have said it better!

25. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

I think Slazzen's post was a tongue in cheek rant of frustration on the escalation of the price of junk. But he could have been totally serious, I suppose. Just calm down a bit. If I told you you were a cross eyed goon, would you get all upset and jump up and down like a cross eyed goon, or assume that I was making a joke?

26. Hey, Slaz Where the hell you been? On Egay of course. I want your 34 if you're quitting. Also, need to have your body man. Anyway, I doubt you will quit hot rods, it's in your blood. Take care guy and don't let those sleeze bag egayers get to ya.

27. screwtheman

screwtheman

That's all well and good. But you have to admit if you put down $500 as your max bid and it goes for $501.50 that it's a pisser. Because you'd consider going a few more bucks, right? I figure the next time I bid (very rare) I'm either using a snipe program or picking an odd number.

28. Always bid a odd amount like STM said. Some folks only think in even amounts. Dont bid $499.99, or $500.00 go over a few bucks and some cents.You really have a better chance. Of course if $500.00 is what you want to spend and someone else is willing to go $700.00 you are out of luck.

Richard

29. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Fat Hack is right:) i got out bid on some 1930 CAL plates on EBay and i was super bummed, then a month later i found better ones at a swap meet for half the price i would have paid for them on Ebay!
    Things are not always as horrible as they seem:)
    keep your eye out and you'll find the deal you want someday, just may take a bit longer than you want.
    CAB

30. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Slazzen's still a homo.