Register now to get rid of these ads!

I am at a crossroads here

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike1951, Mar 28, 2012.

1. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

And I seek the advice of my HAMB brothers and sisters....
    I have a nice bone stock 53 buick. Nothing I have done to it cannot be easily reversed... (It's been lowered by swapping springs) I am thinking about increasing driveability..open drive line, 12 volt, upgrade front suspension etc...I WILL NOT 86 the straight 8. I like it, but I have thought about a tbi set up for it... and HEI distributor...(yes they make em) Should I go this route or part ways with the car for something more suited for mild kustom duties?

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Good thing you're not at a fork in the road then...!!!

FWIW, a friend of mine had (still has) a '53 Buick, he did some engine work on his straight 8 (new head, gaskets, duals) and spent a bunch of money...all for naught. It wasn't very good on gas, didn't have much power on the open highway and he couldn't keep up with the rest of us...and thot of selling the car.

His solution: a 350" SBC and a 700 R-4...now he keeps up with us...and now he's now decided to keep the car...and he's working on the body in prep for paint. He's put on wide whites, fender skirts and a new interior...need I say more...???

There's nothing wrong with your Buick, you can still make a nice kustom cruiser out of it IF you decide to.

R-

3. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Nice write up in Rod and Kustom BTW....
    As far as gas mileage, don't care about that.....I like the looks of the Buick, 53 Buick...as Greg Pitman said, not much you need to do to them to kustomize em...they are already pretty.. I was just thinking better rear end and suspension...maybe 12 volt and a few other mods.. I was just thinkin ethics...this is a prime bone stock resto...very clean car... I know you saw her at paint and primer..I got kids who like to cruise...I also like the odd ball engines... the straight 8 fits that bill... Someday dare to dream a caddy flathead powered roadster

4. Ed "Axle" II

Ed "Axle" II
    from Evans,CO

Keep it has the room for the kids and have fun with it. Me I would put a V8 in it but that's just me...

5. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

I'm thinking I'd leave it as is. Sounds like a good example of the breed and they aren't all that common anymore. Lots'a room in a big 'ol Buford for the kids......

6. Well there arent that many good examples left these days. Maybe just make it a "bolt on" custom. Rebuilding the front end with aftermarket suspension pieces, but making it so you or the enxt guy, can make her a stocker again if they wish to.

7. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

'53 always one of my fave Buicks ! Check-out a look at my '53 in my Albums section. Ya don't have to do a lot to 'em. Just love 'em and drive 'em.

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

8. Zandoz

Zandoz

Personally I'd try to keep my modifications as reversible as possible. I believe front disk brake conversions and modern transmission adapters are available. The HEI ignition sounds good. Maybe mill the head to up the compression a tad bit. Rather than the TBI, I'd go with one of the popular back in the day dual carb adapters, and keep my eye out for a vintage multi-carb manifold. Stick with larger diameter rear tires....it's always surprised me how much difference that makes both in mileage and highway cruising.

9. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

As long as you keep the original stuff and avoid any serious grinding/cutting/welding, I don't think HEI, TBI, or even suspension mods are outside the realm of reversible.

10. I have this and as its one of 12 I need to keep it OG but I want to drive it so it will have bolt ONS and stashed OE parts
    Pointless it they. Any or won't be driven

Attached Files:

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, by open driveline do you plan a transmission and rearend change? the "8" with more gears would make a big difference in the "experience". the external engine mods you are thinking of would kill the "Classic" when you lift the hood. how about a better carb, or multiple and a Pertronix type distrib? 12V upgrade would be a plus.

12. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I like the three on the tree....and dual carbs and exhaust are the stuff wet dreams are made of... When I find the right deal I will jump on those...I was always a die hard 6 volt guy....but it would be nice to have a proper stereo... I just am sick of constantly dumping fluid into the front suspension....IF I can upgrade to 54-56 upper A arms and do a few other mods, that would be sweet... I just wonder how many mods are acceptable to a nice bone stock ride...it's the ethics...I would love to nose it and deck it, do a few other tasteful mods...but how many of the 53s are left in such primo condition for a proper bone stock resto..

13. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

rear end would be open, stock trans...or other options...I even thought of hiding a 12v alternator in my 6v gen casing

14. Friend built a Buick using a Corvette IRS (very simple to adapt) and a Fatman front clip with Mustang II based IFS. It was a sweet driver. He used an LS motor but a straight eight with a four speed automatic will push you along as well.

15. 53Hattie

53Hattie

All that's been said aside, I still don't know if I'd call it a truly rare car, so I'd say it's your car, do what you want to do with it! I've always had the attitude that I'd rather see an old rig goin' down the road than not, whatever it takes to make that happen! Better'n crushed, or rottin' in a field, or even gathering dust in a shed or garage for that matter! But, ...ultimately you gotta decide.

16. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Good point, it is a nice clean candidate for a mild kustom. Ah let the fun begin

17. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

It's been said on here before: "There only needs to be one bone stock example of any rare (or not so rare) car". I like the idea of keeping the straight eight but a 700r4 and a modern rearend with about 3.50 gears would make a great driver out of the car, imho.

18. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I can't lose the straight 8....It's too cool. I want dual exhausts on mine.... I think I have a 700R4 at my buddy's shop. Granted that damn plate to mate the 700r4 to the 8 is like $700

19. never seen a straight eight that couldn't cruise at 80+ all day long. but if I were going to change the drive train I'd stuff a 52 or earlier 320 with multiple (up to 5) carbs or injected

20. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Multiples are tempting....I started lookin for 54-56 upper a arms to lose the knee shocks

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx for the kudos on my Caddy, however, do you think for one minnit that I'd keep a '55 Caddy bone stock...??? Not a chance...!!! I can't keep anything bone stock...seen my '40 Stude coop...??? Same with your Buick...and I don't think it's all that "rare"...!!! And yeah, I kinda remember your Buick.

Granted, Buicks like yours aren't plentiful these days which makes it ripe for you to do some K-U-S-T-O-M work on it...stone stockers are only for really, really, really old guys...of which there aren't that many anymore...!!!

Nose it, deck it, slam it and put in some highway gears...it's time to go rod running...

R-

22. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Yeah, it's time to get goin on it...Thankfully I have enough common sense to shut my mouth and listen to guys like Greg and build it right. Ok here we go with a kustom. It's not a rare car, in terms of year and make, but I know it's gettin hard to find ones that have not been messed with. I was just makin sure I was not cuttin something up that should not be.

23. This is one of those 'you make the call' things. You're here, on the HAMB so the answer may be apparent - change it in a traditional way to make it better. Or, if you like the stock appointments - set her aside for sunny days and get something else and chop the shit out of it. :)

24. bohica2xo

bohica2xo
    from Las Vegas

I would pressurize that I8 a little. Single carb, draw through. Simple, bolt together work. 5psi will make a different car out of it. No need to change the driveline then. Turbos are not too expensive, certainly less than the cost of a trans swap.

6v? Just put a decent 12v alternator on it, that sort of thing can always be un-done. I would just use a n MSD ignition & trigger it with the points. Keep the OEM distributor & get a better spark.

B.

25. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Yep, traditional is the way I will go. Nose and deck it seems to be the first logical choice...for body mods... I am gonna dump the knee shocks and swap to an open rear end.