Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration I’m a tree hugger, but I’m pretty pissed at this one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clunker, Jan 31, 2019.

1. There is a guy on U Tube Bah 53. He is fixing up a 60 caddy. and has two parts cars. you might be able to get parts from him?

2. afaulk

afaulk

I love trees too so I took a class in Silviculture and Timberland Management. People just don't like to see their big old trees go but just like people they are going to die. There needs to be a plan to either maintain or replace mature trees. Loggers cut mature trees, hopefully before they die and create fire hazards (like in CA)where you can hardly get a permit to cut a tree on your own property. We all use the wood products in a great variety of ways and the Wood Products Industry is a HUGE part of our Economy. So cut that sucker off the Caddy, build a Bonfire and invite some friends!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  3. wicarnut

wicarnut

A memory came to me from your story/pic. 1964, 16, my first car I put a 348 in my 57 Chevy using a swing set to attach chain for chain fall hoist ( friend helping had a chain hoist borrowed from his Dad) now visualize this, we're were not dumb, just kids making do with what we had, swing set too low, stacked cement blocks up at the 4 corners to get height, we guessed tubing too thin, another neighbor/friend that helped, his Dad had long 2X12 boards (was a house painter) we v notched to fit tubing with a hacksaw, put vertically at width of car so we could roll car in/out. It worked so well, this rube goldberg death trap looking set up changed a few more engines of friends involved until friend's Dad showed up, said No, No, No and allowed us kids to use his shop for this type of work, (in/out at night, was a business) said we were lucky nobody died. I have stated this before, I have a Guardian Angel watching over me all my life and have read here on HAMB, Angels watch over Fools and Car people.

loudbang, Old wolf and Truck64 like this.
  4. Hey thanks man. I actually am subscribed to his channel. He’s basically fixing up the same exact car as I have for his brother, (they were supposed to do it together, but the brother never shows up to help! Ha!) I like his attitude, an ez way about him, and I dig watching as he messes with all his cars and stuff. I like the way he thinks, he makes do with what he’s got. I try to do the same.

I live up in Boston, and by searching some Craig’s List ads, a guy gave me another guy’s phone # in Connecticut who happens to have a storage building full of old Cad parts. He had 5 - 1960 hoods and 7 - 1960 fenders. He pulled the best ones out and sent me some pics, and I’m going on Mon or Tues to pick them up.[​IMG][​IMG]these may look like butt to a lot of you, but up here in “rust country”, these aren’t half bad! And they are priced reasonably too. I can’t afford to buy any from the dessert and have them shipped, so I’m making a day trip out of it and drive to CT. I’ll buy a dozen doughnuts and a box-o-joe, and that should get me there and back.

I was going to do the work myself, but the insurance appraisal is really low. I rent a commercial space, and am good friends with my neighbor who runs a body shop there, and he is going to fix it all up then fight with the ins company afterward for more $$, so I’m in good hands.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I hate Slivers!

6. ... Found this unlucky '35 in another Hamb thread ...

3 22.jpg

clunker likes this.
  7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

No. It's a '50 Ford front clip. Was going to do a swap later on...

8. I see both sides....trees and people never mix...especially when you try to live where they live...had my share of tree experiences too...but in the end...without trees, there would be no life as we know it now...
    and it never ends well when they break apart near our man-made stuff either...

MikeC

flatheadpete likes this.
  9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Unlucky car, but lucky woman!

[​IMG]

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With a lot of rain and wind here in SoCal this week fallen trees are in the news. Most have no deep root system at all and its ez to see why the come down. The other thing is boughs from palms; they are everywhere and hit a lot of cars too.

11. Thanks for the reply. I wasn't even close but then, it happens more and more often as I get older.

12. Jeff Hammers

Jeff Hammers

Because glacers came through and took all but a few feet of topsoil in the west a few hundred thousand years ago, trees here are "shallow rooted" and tend to blow over in wind storms. Not having them growing close to parking/houses is the only way to avoid disaster.

13. A big ice storm About 6 years ago toppled trees and knocked out power for a 100 miles. and a cedar rootwadded and fell on my old 63 chevy Pk. I still haven't cut the tree off it. I drove that truck when my wife and I where dating and several more years after that. On the property we just bought there was two old elm trees. I already felled one. I cant think of anything its good for? twisted and hollow doesn't have a saw log in it. Elm firewood would not burn in hell with a fan of it. I want grass to grow there. and that elm was not doing anything but sucking up moisture and shading the grass. The second elm is next to a walnut tree. It has a large muscadine grapevine growing in it. I need to be prepared before it cut it. immediately after its cut I need to make some type of trellis for the grapevine. I will leave the walnut tree trees bulldozer 017.JPG trees bulldozer 018.JPG trees bulldozer 019.JPG trees bulldozer 020.JPG trees bulldozer 002.JPG trees bulldozer 003.JPG trees bulldozer 004.JPG . they don't make a lot of shade and grass will grow under them. and the walnuts are food for squirrels.

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Was that a Chinese Elm maybe? It has small leaves.

American Elm is probably one of the best hardwood firewoods around, oak/elm mix is great for campfires. Burns hot, quiet, good long lasting coals. Morel mushrooms like to grow nearby, good place to look. Most American Elms are long gone killed by disease.

15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I'd take the elm firewood over the willow I'm burning right now.

16. I mostly burn oak, hickory, ash, hackberry & cedar. Cedar has turpentine in it and is good fire starter. I don't have any Locust but it makes as hot a fire as hickory.

17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Back when I was a young man, I cut fire wood off the ranch to help clear land and earn money. Did it for several years in partnership with my brother in law. There was even a project where a semi was loaded and was taken to Dallas. We had one customer that ordered 10 ricks at a time and ordered several times a year.
    What I learned in that enterprise was, all wood will burn, if it is seasoned. Some wood has different burning properties. Everyone has their favorite wood and not everyone’s favorite wood is the same spieces of wood. Also people want different lengths, I sold wood as short as 10 inches and as long as 36 inches. If you want to keep customers, give them what they want and don’t argue with them. Just smile and tell them that their right!

Bones

Old wolf likes this.
  18. I will burn whatever I can get my hands on for free in my outdoor burner. I've burnt, Oak, Elm, Ash, Birch, Locust, Walnut, Chestnut, Grape vines, Eastern White Pine, Sumac (an endangered species in Virginia) and that is right, it all burns and produces BTU's to heat. Favorite is still deep mine coal, and will burn strip coal if needed as it all burns hotter and longer then any wood.

Rolling Coal.JPG