Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hypothetical question ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doc., Oct 31, 2006.

1. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Will there be Ham and Roastbeef at the party?

Ohhh....Shrimp cocktail!! I love shrimp.

:D

2. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Grumpy, if i'm in charge of vitels, there is always shrimp.

Doc.

3. Stroked

Stroked
    from DFW, TX

For Louisiana, you will want to start reading here:
    Louisiana Department of Revenue, Office of Charitable Gaming
    Or here: Chapter 17 - Charitable Bingo, Keno and Raffle

LAC 42:I.1721 - Raffles
    (.pdf) - I think this is the "official" raffle regulations page.

I haven't read through all of it but when raffling larger items, like cars, some states will require that a minimum number of tickets be sold... but I dont really see that being an issue here. :D

Like others have mentioned, if you want to do this soon it might be easier to go through another car club or group that is already non-profit registered.

I would volunteer the non-profit student organization I am president of, but i think the logistics of clearing something like this with the university would be an even bigger hassle than going through your state. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

- Matt

4. George

George

Check with the State as far as permit/licences are concerned. In some States it's illegal to have a "lottery", but a "giveaway" is OK. On a giveaway, if someone wants a free ticket, you have to give 'em one.

5. TRUCK_RAT

TRUCK_RAT
    from tulsa

don't say that its a car

6. Good idea ,,,call it a toy!:D HRP

7. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Hey,

There may be a loophole here. If I'm reading this right, you don't need a gaming permit if the raffle tickets are 1.00 or less. Some of you more scholarly types look at the last link and see if you interpret it the same way.

Doc.

8. Anderson

Anderson

For the hypothetical chance of winning a car, if the tickets are under $1, a lot of people owuld be buying a LOT of tickets...might be more than you'd like to keep up with.

I'm torn between hypothetically winning the Lander and hypothetically winning the race Viper...:D

oh, and Doc., you are the most generous HAMBer around. Very classy...hypothetically speaking of course.

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Hands down the LANDER. No tough choice for me. A Viper, while very nice, can be purchase easily with the right amount of money. There is ONLY ONE Lander in this world and unless the owner agrees to give it up/sell it, no amount of money can purchase it.:cool:

and I certainly agree that Doc is one of the most generous people here on the HAMB.

10. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Us big girls like to scream too.:D

12. Hmmmm, should I or shouldn't I......No, I won't say it:D

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

14. Bugman

Bugman

Somebody has to...you know we're all thinking it :D

15. Kustm52

Kustm52

you two get a room or something.... !:rolleyes:

Brian

16. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Hey Doc, The way I read that is the ticket price has to be less then a dollar. You may also qualify for exception "E" and possibally "F", but either way it sounds like you need to contact them. I'm sure they will be more then happy to render an opinoin on the matter.
    Gene

17. Bugman

Bugman

Hey now, I'm just a director/camera man, not one of the "actors."

Would it be possible for you to privatly raffle it off, or have a local club do the raffle, then just cut Ryan a check for the amount as a donation? That way you wouldn't have to involve the HAMB in anything across state lines(they sometimes get funny about that).

18. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I would be up for anything. When I contacted Ryan, I told him that I liked the idea of a raffle instead of just doing an auction. That way, even HAMBers who may be on a limited budget would be able to get in on the action. Ryan agreed that it would be cool, but he wasn't sure how to do it either. When I get back in town next week, I'll just make a trip down to city hall and I bet they can give me a thumbs up or down. I just thought that someone on the board may have already been through this before. I love you guys but I ain't doin' time for ya. HAHA

Doc.

19. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

There are half a dozen charity car raffles advertised in Autoweek every week. There is a book somebody hawked in the Autoweek classifieds as to how to do a charity car raffle. Try www.autoweek.com. My wife is a games manger for raffles in CO and the rules are tight.