Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hypothetical question ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doc., Oct 31, 2006.

1. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Hey guys. Does anyone know the legalities/technicalities of setting up a raffle. Lets say,hypothetically speaking of course,that a guy wanted to raffle off a cool vehicle. And, lets say that he wanted all of the proceeds to benefit the HAMB. How would you go about setting that up. Hypothetically speaking of course.

Oh yeah, I promise this is not off topic.

Doc.

Flexicoker likes this.
  2. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Dude! You're outta control!

Does the winner get to pick from your list of cars?:D

3. Doc,

I'm thinking you just sell tickets and pull 'em out of a hat.

Try getting ahold of Ryan I'll bet he could set you up with a place to hawk tickets.

4. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I'm hoping he adopts the winner... :D

Dad?:)

5. NoSurf

NoSurf

All I know is raffles are illegal in the State of Kansas...

6. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

It would come from that list. Hypothetically speaking of course.

Doc.

7. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

They are illegal in Texas too. I did contact the boss and he wasn't sure what to do. So, I'm reaching out to you guys. I donated a restore '67 Mustang to a local school for the mentally challenged a couple of years ago and they raised close to 50,000 on that car. They were a non profit orginization though, so normal rules don't apply.

Doc.

8. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Dad hell!

You wouldn't happen to be looking for a partially used Italian Cabana Boy would ya?

9. Same rules as the engine raffle at the drags? I can buy tickets for that (as a Kansan) and win it in Missouri right?

10. Yeah, I would think that as long as the Raffle is set up in a certain state that raffles are leagal in, anyone from any state could win it.

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

sooo....you been writin' your own prescriptions lately, huh?...

You're a mental case, bubba...:D

12. Chad s

Chad s

Wow, you own the Lunar Lander now? Wow, Id buy a lot of tickets to win that!

13. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

You still live in Shreveport, right? I ask because I want to try to do some research on how this can legally be done.

14. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Yes I live in Shreveport. I'm sure there is a way to do this I just don't know how. The medical board tends to frown on doctors who engage in illegal activity, so things have to be set up all legit.

Doc.

15. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

For sure. This is extremely generous of you, hypothetically. We need to set it up so it doesn't put you, Ryan, or the winner, even anywhere close to any hypothetical "gray" areas.

16. 32chevysedan

32chevysedan
    from Texas

I choose the '55 sedan (American Graffiti Tribute) please................

17. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

In NJ, you have to get some kind of license or permit from the State to do a raffle. It probably varies by state.

18. Plowboy

Plowboy

Why don't you GIVE said vehicle to Ryan and let him raffle it off then?

Unless he doesn't want you to. I could see that.

So what are the chances of me winning my car back anyway? Ha Ha Ha

19. Would it be like a lottery ticket,,,,,you can buy them and not live in that state,,,? HRP

20. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Giving it to Ryan wouldn't help. Only the Tx. Lottery Commision can run a lottery/raffle outside of charity, non-profits, in Texas.

21. I don't know the answer, but I hypothetically want in.

One of the bars I worked at raffled off a car. To avoid legalities, they actually raffled off the keys to the car, and threw the car in for free. Long time ago now, the details have long since fallen out of my weary brain.

22. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Doc, perhaps you might investigate the legallity from your attorney.

23. guiseart

guiseart

:eek: really? :eek:
    I've had a few... one at KKOA last year. How illegal ? :rolleyes:

24. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

can one of the nonprofit car clubs take on the task.....

25. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

Don't doctors always have lawyer friends?
    Giving it to Ryan to take care of might keep you our of hot water, and I bet a lot of the outcome will depend on how HAMB is set up. Is it non profit?

26. husker

husker

I have done these before for non profit organizations which is a bit different.

Your state is going to want a cut for taxes, and of course uncle Sam will need to have his cut. You may need a special permit. Your local city hall can more than likely fill you in.

27. husker

husker

An example of what I am talking about. The wife made it to the show case last year on the Price is Right. California had to have $800.00 on the spot for taxes and then Uncle Sam got another 2K on our tax return.

We ended up with some real fancy patio furniture that retailed for 4k, hand made iron that all of you would like, an overpriced grille and a nice hot tub they sell locally for $5500.00 so we did alright.

28. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

You should run the raffle through a 501C3 organization. Locally we run a lot of things through our volunteer fire department since they qualify. I am sure someone on here has some type of non-profit status connections. Oh, and if you would rather adopt a hot rod daughter instead of a hot rod son (ThirtyFivePickup) I'm in.
    PS-- I fit in the Lunar Lander really nicely.

29. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

In IL you have to get a permit. That requires a bond to insure that what ever is raffeled off is actually given away. Our car club does an engine raffel almost yearly, but it is also non-profit. We also had to have a permit and the bonding to set up and sell tickets in WI. We have had a "few" organizations approch us to set up a raffel for them for a "donation", but we have declined, that is a huge can or worms.

I would suggest you start at your local chamber of commerce, thay should be able to get you in touch with who ever has the info you require. Be sure to tell them it will be an online raffel as they probably have a unique set of rules also.
    Gene

30. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

What if it wasn't a raffle at all. What if their was a big Hamb Christmas party, and the vehicle was given away as a door prize. Each one in attendance would qualify by buying a diner plate and getting a number. There could be other door prizes too. I've been to many parties that gave out door prizes. Our local Mopar club gives out hundreds of prizes each year at shows. You would not have to be in attendance to win if you purchased a plate.
    Would something like that work.

Doc.