Register now to get rid of these ads!

History hypothetical question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 5, 2018.

1. I just did that this past Spring. After a 25 year disappearing act and a long time hunting it actually turned up right here on the H.A.M.B. and back in my local town. Being I had done all the work myself back in 1970 what I was looking at told a Sad Sad story. It had been wrecked bad enough to take everything back to the firewall including both doors but due to the fact it sat very Low (as they should) the custom chassis escaped the damage. This had to have happened very soon after it left my hands due to the plate on it had 2 months left until it was due. It is still wearing that plate and the Title was never transferred. It apparently went through 4 more hands then came back to the same address it left from. Now I'm looking at the renderings of something I loved to own and drive and only see a massive rebuild. Were it not for the Chassis still usable and the Body being sectioned and channeled I'm not sure it would have any future at all. Now the question is, can I live long enough to get to it and bring it back? So yes I'd do it again and glad it's back where it belongs but Dang is it depressing to see what has happened to my Truck.
    The Wizzard

2. southerncad

southerncad

Yuuup, there are two I'd buy back, a Stude wagon and a Hawk, and both were finished, more than I can say about my current (for over 17 years) ride:rolleyes:

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and dana barlow like this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yeah, I've got a few off topic ones, my second 67 Mustang, my 77 Firebird Formula, my 47 Ford coupe. I bought another car, and the folks wouldn't let me keep both, so I sold the 67 Stang. The 77 Firebird went because me and the wife were both unemployed at the time and couldn't afford the payments anymore. The 47 coupe was a complete car in need of restoration, it got sold to finance something else, should have kept it and built it but got tired of seeing it sit in the yard.

4. There was a car, not a hot rod, not a custom, but one I can't mention because O/T (by 2 years). It was a street'n'strip'n'daily driver that I would buy in a heartbeat. I picked every option and upgrade at the dealer and waited 5 weeks for the manufacturer to build it. It's the one that put my street credentials near the top of the chalkboard back when I was shaving more fuzz than I was hairs. I've been blessed to own a lot of very fine cars in my life but that one, for me, is head and shoulders above them all.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I bought my very first car in December of 1966, a 1926 T Tudor for $220.00 delivered. Over the next two years I replaced enough rough to poor parts to have a 1927 T Touring. Sold the unfinished but running project to a guy I thought would finish it. It turned up on eBay, the guy died and the new owner was selling it one piece at a time, I think he made a small fortune. I did go to look at it, Body and chassis was still there. I passed, but a HAMB Member bought it and it ran TROG 3-4 years ago. That made me very happy. Bob

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The only one I would want back was my dads 51 Ford that I sold shortly after his death to concentrate on the 55 sunliner,I did regret selling the 53 Olds but the owners after me kind of screwed it up and would rather start over with another.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. Yea, a couple of them. But most of them were pretty well used up. :)

8. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

The deuce pick up is what comes to mind anytime I see your screen name. Such a perfect little pickup...if I could've afforded it when you put it up for sale,it would've been Arkansas bound in a heartbeat.

9. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I think about some of my old cars, trucks, and bikes that I have had but I really don't get attached to them. I really enjoy building them and enjoying them for a while but I do sell them to make money to build a new dream. It works for me because I don't have tons of money but I have always had nice rides, I just keep rolling them over and rolling along. Sometimes I wonder where the old stuff is.
    I am sure that it is considered some sort of disorder. :rolleyes::eek::D

10. trollst

trollst

Yep, I'm looking for it right now, never should have sold it.

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You sure you didn't have the wng on it ? Mmmmm:D

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Actually my 31 Ford high boy and my O/T Challenger.

13. slowmotion

slowmotion

The '62 Belair bubbletop is a always regret. Dumb kid, but I made money!:rolleyes::(
    The '62 Impala, black/red 2drht, 283 4-spd, stings a little too.:(
    Then there was the OT '66 deuce....:(

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  14. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

I would and in fact did. I lost this car in a divorce in 2007. Out of the blue 3 or 4 months ago I get a call from new owner with a few questions. Turns out his wife recently passed away and was ready to let the car go. Took a week or so to agree on a price but We did and I went and picked it up and brought it home for good this time. 15292846939701427439161.png

15. D-
    How ever were you able to fold up enough to get in a Model A pickup. I couldn't get in to mine, even with a thinner seat back. Traded it for a 40. My wife still reminds me.:rolleyes:

Got any pics of yours with the wing? Could start a new trend.

16. gene-koning

gene-koning

I actually had the chance to buy back my prized off topic Road Runner. I sold it to help with funding to buy the house in the country. 20 years later, I had the chance to buy it back. It was in pretty rough condition (it was in rough condition the 1st time I bought it as well). I walked around it, kicked the tires, and started reminiscing about the old days when it was in its glory. It was priced well, actually a little low for what it was, and at the time, I had the money and resources to rebuild it again. In the end, I walked away from it.

I concluded the only right way for me to build it was the way it was the 1st time, and I was passed that stage in my life. Life had moved on for me, and that car, like it used to be, no longer fit into my new life.

As I think about all the cars and trucks I have sent down the road, I realize all of them were stepping stones to get to where I am now, good or bad. Those old stepping stones would be way out of place these days. It would be better for me, to leave the past in the past. Gene

17. I did a lot of modifications to the Model A just like the 32 pickup.

The firewall was gone in the Model A and I made the seat very low and padded the back of the cab for the back rest. HRP

3W JOHN and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I would buy my 36 ford pickup or my 27 high boy. Miss them both. I used the money from the 36 to go to law school and the 27 roadster paid for the material to build my house in Gravelly Srings Alabama. Both were great cars and I would love to get them back but the sale money was not wasted. Both cars went to good owners who have enjoyed them. I kept up with the 36 through magazines and the 27 through friends.

3W JOHN likes this.
  19. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

After posting the last bit, I got to thinking. There are dozens of cars, trucks and Harley’s that I would like to get back, but after being semi retired, I doubt that I could afford them in any way but my dreams.

20. Dave B.

Dave B.

Whenever I consider a question like this, I remember what my Uncle Frank once said: "Money's a funny thing. It don't do you a darn bit of good unless you spend it."

There are only a couple of cars that I've sold that I'd buy back, but - that's because I've held on to the ones that meant the most to me. Yeah, I've been lucky and have a VERY understanding wife. But, as far as I'm concerned, the real question is: When you open the garage door and see your old car sitting there, does it make you smile?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  21. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Ain’t nothing been done that can’t be undone ..

22. I know that I will never get this car back, but I would surely love to find a reasonable replacement. It had a 289/C-4 combo, but I would settle for any drive-train arrangement. Wimbledon White would be special, but would consider others. Really not interested in an XL as nice as they are (great bucket interior) as I'm sort of a bench seat guy.:) 11092014_0001.jpg

Thor1, dan31, 3W JOHN and 1 other person like this.
  23. jim snow

jim snow

Absolutely. Snowman

24. pkhammer

pkhammer

I can think of a couple I regretted selling.......'67 GTO, '68 442, but I doubt if I'd buy them back now if I found them. The one I would love to have back though is my 1st car (truck). My Dad helped me to buy it when I was 15, a '57 Ford pickup that came up for sale about a half mile down the road. It was red, had the big back window, and a 312 T-bird engine with dual exhaust. I hauled my buddies to high school in that truck. I'd buy it back in a second!

25. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

No. Once it’s gone it’s in the rear view mirror.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Gman0046 like this.
  26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I forgot there was a 64 Ford custom 2 door sedan that I would like to have back.

27. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Unfortunately yes, don’t remind me..:(

28. 2935ford

2935ford

I miss a couple I had but buy/want them back........nah.
    I just move ahead with my latest rods and enjoy!

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Gman0046 like this.
  29. Gman0046

Gman0046

A couple of cars I've sold I have a fondness for but getting them back not so much. My taste in cars has moved on so much I'll keep what I currently have and enjoy them. Its amazing how your taste changes as the years go by.

Gary

30. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Just did that exact thing. It has turned into such a cluster.... thanks to import regulations I'm not sure if it will be worth the effort or in fact, the cost. We'll see.