Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hydrulic Roller lifter question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1fastbyrd, Mar 7, 2008.

1. 1fastbyrd

1fastbyrd

This may seem like a dumb question but can I use hydrrulic roller lifters on a non specifice standard hydrulic cam?

Jeff

2. tomslik

tomslik

nope, the cam lobes are ground tapered to the side to promote lifter rotation on a flat tappet cam.
    i'd think it'd put a wierd side load on a roller lifter and that'd mean funny chunks of metal in your oil pan.

3. jonny o

jonny o

Sure, for a couple hours.

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Spend a few extra bucks and do it right. I am starting with a factory roller cam engine. Its cheaper than all the work to convert an older block.

5. There wouldn't be any point to it, so far as performance is concerned, and the hydraulic cam is not going to last for any time at all, metallurgically speaking. As tomslik mentioned, the taper will also cause problems, (& cam walk) or would if the cam actually lasted long enough.

If you are concerned about cam failure after break-in and want to use the roller lifters to prevent that....well, there are better ways to accomplish that goal. :)

6. tjm73

tjm73

You would also wear the cam lobes off in a hurry. Roller cams are hardened to a different standard than a normal hydralic cam. Do it right or don't do it.

7. von Dyck

von Dyck

Flat tappet cams have a totally different profile. Putting rollers on a flat tappet cam will net you an extremely short duration and a guttless engine!

8. If price is an issue checkout J.C.Whitney. They have cams in the book that the exact match to the wolverine blue racer.I have had customers bring them to me and they work great. I have been told they are made by the same group.

9. lostn51

lostn51

this would be a quick way to grenade a motor if thats what your shooting for. for one the push rods are shorter on a roller motor, and the lifters are not suposed to spin like flat tappets do. if you want a roller motor get the cam kit and go for it i swear by them. the lifters for a roller cam are expensive thats why if you look a summit or jegs they are around $350 or so for the kit. but make sure you get the right push rods if you dont you'll have a headache for sure.