Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical hydroboost question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texas57, Feb 10, 2015.

1. I got my '57 fired up for the first time yesterday. I'm running an '02 Mustang hydroboost brake booster because of clearance issues. My question is do these things run really hot? within a minute or so my ss reservoir on the ps pump is almost too hot to touch, as are the ss braided fluid lines and the hydroboost itself. Thanks in advance.

2. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It should not get hot when not using the brakes or steering. It will pump up the accumulator then go to bypass until you use the brakes.

3. 55willys

55willys

It might get hot if the lines are hooked up wrong.

4. It sounds like I've got some checking to do. The car has not moved since starting, so no brake or steering usage. It does have rack and pinion steering, new. I drove the donor car before pulling the engine, so there should be no issues with the ps pump, and since the lines are hot to the boost unit, it apparently is pumping. The hydroboost came out of a salvage yard so that's an unknown. I'll recheck the lines to make sure they're hooked up correctly. Thanks for the info.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. 55willys

55willys

If you have not cycled the steering it could have an air lock in the system causing it to heat up. Jim Ford

6. Sounds like it's plumbed wrong..

PowerSteeringLineMap.JPG

7. stimpy

stimpy

some models do use a cooler and some don't has to do with the rack and pump .. if you know what year and submodel ( gt .lx ect ) moosetang it came out of look it up to see if there was a cooler for it .

8. A bad accumulator will cause the pump to pressurize the booster full time and overheat it.

9. The fluid gets hot when it's working.
    If your brake booster push rod is too long, the booster thinks you have your foot on the brakes & the fluid and booster will heat up. Pretty common when swapping the system into another vehicle.

If the plumbing checks out, have a look there

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'm running similar setup and adding a filter between the pump and hydroboost as well as an oil cooler to dissipate any additional heat.