Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hydroboost Brake Power Steering Problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by darms, Nov 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darms

darms
    from PNW

My 1953 Chevy Panel got a Fatman II IFS along w/an LQ4 6.0L w/the hydroboost system. When I finally accepted it from the shop after returning it a time or two, it was with the understanding that the "scary steering at speed (70+mph)" was due to me being 'old & feeble' or some such rot. (I'm 64 btw) The steering rack overboosted? Nah, no way. They'd had my truck for almost four years, I was moving out of state & that's that. Very few miles, especially on the twisty-turney highways out here. At least until this summer (NOTE: I'm NOT a salesman) when I found this article from "Hot Rod Magazine" -
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hydroboost-brake-system-conversion/
    & this company - https://www.heidts.com/
    who sell a proportioning valve for the power steering which enables one to lower the pressure to the steering rack while keeping the full benefits of the hydroboost brakes. Heads up however, you're on your own finding the AN-6 Tfe hose.

I'm posting this here in hope that it helps someone out there who is also puzzled by hydroboosted brakes and scarily-twitchy power steering, especially if their mechanic is equally clueless as was ours. Before, driving our truck at speed was a white-knuckle experience, now it's enjoyable...

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Change the rack to a 3-turn one for an 1987 Thunderbird.

You can get rebuilt units for about the price of the valve, and keep full brake boost.

darms, egads and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the record, AN-6 interchanges with JIC-6, which can be had at any hydraulic hose supplier.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.