Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hydro lock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cannuk, Aug 5, 2013.

1. cannuk

cannuk

Ok hows this for a piss off I gota vent to someone I have a 40 ford pic up with a brand new GM crate motor and I have 30 miles on it,the hood is louvered and on fri night we have a down pour so I figure its ok with the air cleaner on ,not so its one of those repoped caddy air cleaners with the inward dimple for the wing nut ,so all the waters going down the carb ,you can guess what happened ,broke the snout off the starter ,pulled all the plugs and cant roll it over DO I feel stupid oh ya

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  2. brandon

brandon

I lucked out on my last lock up....only cracked 2 pistons:rolleyes: water is a bad thing...:D

3. jkeesey

jkeesey

My brother hydrolocked his brand new race engine and blew one of the cylinders right into the bottom end.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Seen two, from leaking gas, SBF and SBC..Bent the rods pretty scary but that was all that had to be replaced, or than fixing the gas leak..

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have seen a con rod out of a top fuel engine that took the rest pin and shoved it all the way to the big end of the rod.

6. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Hydro-lock can do some bad stuff to an engine. Knew of an alcohol injectioned car that also uses water with it and the owner went to a cruise in and forgot to kill the pump for the water injector.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Bad way to raise compression...water...

8. stimpy

stimpy

freind of mine did it with methanol injection on a O/T turbo Ls motor last week at the drag strip , rod is C shaped and the piston was trimmed by the counter weight of the crankshaft.

9. But no pics ?????

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

No gasket under the wingnut on the air cleaner? Seriously, you must have had a gully washer pouring right down a louver straight past the mounting stud. I've driven 1000s of miles with an open engine with air cleaners and never had any problems.

11. derpr

derpr

who puts a gasket on a air cleaner?

12. HamD

HamD

You gotta face your louvers forward and drive fast so the wind blows the air cleaner dry.

Looking forward to your next thread on air cleaner choices. :D

13. stimpy

stimpy

whats a air cleaner ???? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. BigAl1961

BigAl1961

Who puts a gasket on an air cleaner??? I Do!! Top and bottom. I've heard this happen way too many times. A 1/4" rubber gasket is cheap insurance.

15. cannuk

cannuk

heres the pic

Attached Files:

16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Wow, That was an expensive rain storm!
    Sorry for your loss.
    KK

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like that powder metal rod held up pretty good.

18. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Did the same thing with my 79 ElCamino, Xmas party at MIckey Thompsons House, Before I got there I filled the tank with water to have some fun on the fwys going home, Left the party and heard the pump running and the tank dry. Borrowd some tools and pulled 7 of the 8 plugs I could and spun it over without any damage. If there was a lotto back then I would have bought tickets.

19. cannuk

cannuk

Yep that's what I did two tickets on the lotto wed night

20. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I had a 350 with tri-power. One night, the float stuck on the center carb and filled the cylinders while I was a cruise night. At the end of the evening, I turned the key and the motor immediately hydro locked. I pulled the plugs, allowed the fuel to drain and had the car towed home. Pulled the valve covers to check the push rods. A couple were bent so I replaced them. Started the motors and everything else was fine.

21. murfman

murfman

Back in 1985 a buddy and I went to Azusa Canyon in his new Toyota pickup and proceeded to Hydrolock the motor in a creek crossing. we pulled the plugs cranked it over and it was a water fountain! Put the plugs back in it drove it the rest of the day and he drove it to school all next week. It was down on power (Not that you could REALLY tell with the 80 or so HP it was making. Took it back to Longo Toyota and all 4 rods looked like that one^. They put a warranty long block in it under warranty. Hate to say it but those 22R Toyota motors are tough...

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Driving, and sitting with water leaking in, are two different things. I've got a Hilborn style scoop on my Austin gasser, and riven it in down pour rains also. Unless you drive into a lake, there's not enough rain getting in to hydro lock an engine.
    But if your car is sitting and a cup of rain water goes down the intake it will hydro lock when you try to start it.