Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hydro Boost brakes....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terry in Bozrah, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Terry in Bozrah

Terry in Bozrah

New here to this forum.
    I have a 46 Dodge that I would like to put a Hydro Boost system on.
    It has front Disc with manual peddel pressure. Not Good!!!
    I know that the newer Caddy's and Chevy trucks that have Hydro boost that may work?
    Has anyone used one of these and put on there older vehicle and liked it?
    Thanks
    Terry

[​IMG][/quote]

2. Scott K

Scott K

NICE POWER WAGON!!!!

Never messed with hydroboost...but modulating can be difficult, turning your brake system into an on-off switch.

I have hydroboost on my 98 Dodge Ram. The brake pedal is like pushing on a rock, can be grabby at times. It stops ok, but I like a vacuum booster better.

3. v8 Bake

v8 Bake

Older chevy deisel pickups had them as well as my dodge.If you are set on it it will work but im not a fan of them myself.

4. Terry in Bozrah

Terry in Bozrah

This is the system that I'm looking at with a Gen and steering pump combo.
    Will the plunger work if I can mount on peddle unit?:confused:
    I like the slimmer HB units that will fit under floor board and inside frame rail. This one is at $695+ and is a little costly?:eek:
    Thanks again
    Terry

[​IMG]

5. henryj429

henryj429

I used a hydrobooster from a Lincoln Versailles in my 36 Nash. I used all the components from the car including the disc brake 9" rear, 11" front rotors and proportioning valve, so I have a matched system. The brakes work terrific. Pedal feel is ideal and the car stops straight and quick. I believe the larger lincolns of the same era (late 70's) had hydroboosters also, so you could look there too.

Goof luck!

6. Steve M

Steve M

I'm pretty sure that I have that exact same system in my '79 Corvette. I noticed no change in the power steering and brakes that were the best that they had ever been. One of the odd things that I found out when my car died in the staging lanes at the drag strip while it was still rolling. When the back up bleeds out you will lock up the brakes with toe pressure.

7. Scott K

Scott K

Everyone pay attention here. The right way to do a DIY brake upgrade on your ride.

8. aplayer

aplayer

I used a Hydratech hydroboost system on my Chevelle. Works great. Pedal feels better than ever. I bought it after I got tired of my electric vacuum pump running all the time.

9. Terry in Bozrah

Terry in Bozrah

Thanks Guys yuo've been alot of help.
    A Player Nice motor?

[​IMG]

10. aplayer

aplayer

(A Player Nice motor?)

Thanks. And ditto on yours. Nice truck.

11. I put a hydraboost system from a Pontiac SW that had diesel engine in it into my 49 Cadillac about 15 years ago. I used front rotors from a '73 Chevy along with the master cylinder and combination valve from the Chev.,and used Ford rear brakes that matched the Chev.(both shoe size and wheel cylinder bore). No one had seen a hydra boost on a rod before and were intrigued by it. But it packaged real well where I needed it to go, and works well . No problems because of low vacuum. I can't understand why it isn't used more often.

Good Luck
    Alden

12. ray

ray
    from colorado

the most common donor out there for hydroboost units is the chevy astro van. forget those kits for stupid money! get the donor unit from an astro or whatever, a donor saginaw steering box that will adapt to your motor, and have a local hydraulic supply shop make your hoses for you.

Classicbroncos.com or Pirate4x4.com will have lots of info in hydroboost swaps.

nice power wagon, get some cable on that winch and go use it!:D

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had the hydro boost on the 77 Chev 1 ton 4x I had and loved it. I'd suggest looking on the diesel powered gm rigs from the 70s or 80s.

14. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

We used a GMC truck unit in a 32 Packard. Used the GMC power steering pump that came off junk yard truck also. Three lines to booster. We put a Heidts power steering adjustable valve on the system so we could adjust boost pressure. Works great.

15. FastLivin

FastLivin

I have an 82 chevy 4x4 1ton that has hydroboost brakes. Works great.

16. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

My 1999 K2500 Suburban has it, and I have a unit from a 2002 Mustang Cobra to go on my 68 Camaro project, and a unit from an Astro van to go on my 51 Chevy truck project. You can also check out http://www.hydratechbraking.com/ for information and they also list a kit for your application if you want to go that route.

17. stragedy

stragedy

Don't many late model mustangs also have Hydroboost ? I think I checked on a late 90's Cobra unti once and it was $130 ish from ford new.

Just a thought.

18. As siad earlier, Astro vans have them. I know this becose my dads took a hodro-dump last night while trying to park in the garage. I sure got a workout trying to park that thing with no power brakes or steering.