Register now to get rid of these ads!

hydraulics for shop press question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sealed Power, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

I bought a used shop press frame today, need to find a jack or hydraulic ram for it. I would like to add air over hydraulic ram, something like the set up on the press pictured below.

Will an air over hydraulic jack like the one pictured work mounted upside down? I assume it will but just thought I would ask to be sure.

Where can I find a 2 speed air/hydraulic pump and jack for a reasonable price? Does anybody know a good source?

I'm open to other ideas and suggestions if anybody has any feel free to chime in.

Attached Files:

2. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

It won't work upside down. The jack has air space above the reservoir and when upside down jack will pump air.

Just put it in right side up and make a base plate with a steel ram welded on the bottom. Make two guides using one tube fitted inside the other. Weld one guide tube to a plate for the top with a cup for the the jack's ram. Weld the other tube to the bottom plate. Then attach the return springs to the bottom plate.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got this, (the green one) bought off Craigslist for cheaps. And it will end up similar to the orange one which is a standard HF unit. HF 20 ton bottle jack and some more iron and I will be in business if I take the time to put it together.
    That should press a wheel bearing off and on or bend what I need to bend and that should do me.

Attached Files:

4. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

I understand what you're saying, a setup like the picture Mr48chev posted.

I wanted to hang it upside down from rollers so it could be moved from left to right.

I was going to move the reservoir and pump to the side if possible.

Would that solve the air problem or is there air in the actual jack that would prevent it from working upside down?

If that won't work were can I find a set up like the one on the press that I posted a picture of?

5. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

any input from the daytime crowd on this?

6. 61bone

61bone

Try Northern tool, formerly Northern Hydraulics.

7. greaserzombie

greaserzombie

Yeah, it just wont work upside down. You can however, get a regular cheap hyraulic ram, and buy an air over hydraulic pump. They're not that expensive, the ram you shuold be able to get anywhere. If you were way up here you could go to princess auto, HF probably has it all too.