Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical hydraulic throwout bearings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The green latrine, Mar 24, 2017.

1. jvpolvere1 likes this.
  2. earlymopar

earlymopar

There are hundreds of thousands of cars from the factory that use these. But, I don't like the idea of hydraulic fluid and the potential for a leak near a high dollar clutch. For this reason, I used an external hydraulic slave cylinder (also from Speedway). -EM

Montana1 likes this.
  3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have put one in my 34 behind a 312 Y-Block. Mine´s from Howe´s Racing.It seems to be nice quality, I think it was about 150$ through summit. The car is not yet on the road so not so much exeperience here. IMG_4714.JPG 01.03.2017 003.jpg

4. Stonebird

Stonebird

Not from personal experience but I have heard they can be very difficult to bleed sucesuflly

Ol Pasqualy likes this.

5. I have experience with the McLeod ones. Very straight forward and a quality piece.

As with most products, do a search on here, you will find many discussions and a lot of them involve the difficulty/pain in the butt factor of adjusting Howe ones with their shims.

6. I also use the McLeod hyd. bearings . I have had one in my truck 390 ford ,toploader ,for 5 years now and never a prolem
    and one in my car ,also 390 t oploader . never a problem. the only wat to go in my opinion !!!!

7. mike bowling

mike bowling

I had no problem with one from speedway on a flathead/ 5 spd set up, but access to the inside line to bleed is a challenge. We ended up cutting up an open end wrench and " making" a tool. I almost considered cutting an access hole in the bell housing, but it wasn't necessary. DSCN1387.JPG

8. ace5043

ace5043
    from Florida

I have a Howe...worked great for a little while but now leaking and clutch slipping. Changing out to an external slave. I would not do it again

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Fern 54

Fern 54
    from Pomona, CA

I'm also running the McLeod one on my 34. I called and told them what I was running, they hooked me up with the correct one so no shims were needed. Not too difficult to install and has worked great for me.

10. One of the good things about McLeod is they don't use shims.

Adjustment is via piston length. Measure correctly, fit the right piston and all is good.

11. I have a master/slave in my '06 Pontiac GTO 6-speed. The up side is in the factory's favor because it allows them to easily build for both left hand and right hand markets. So any linkage issues can be solved which may be helpful to rod builders, too. The down sides are one more fluid to service, contamination and leaks are possible, and adjustments are done with shims (in my case) and is not a simple project. I have no experience with the mix-n-match we do in the hot rod world so I'll let others who actually know tell the tale.

12. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Just a FYI. When it leaks you will need to drop the transmission to work on it. The clutch disk will be toast from the brake fluid. I have a stock 97 chevy truck. 350 with a NV 3500 daily driver on its 3rd clutch because of fluid leaks. The 2nd "Part store" system started leaking in less than 30K. Something to think about. For me I would look at an external cylinder setup. They can be changed out in 15 minutes and the fluid is not close to the clutch material. If you need the internal setup. Spend the money and buy good name brand parts.

13. R Pope

R Pope

Ford uses that hydro clutch bearing on pickups. They blow the seals in cold weather, and the transmission has to come out to change the bearing. PITA!

14. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The things you find when your not looking. Not 20 mins ago my buddy called me about troubles he was having with the one for his '55 Nomad. I have never used any after market ones. So I am of no help. He is using a McLoed one. He said to get the pedal hooked up. He has to have some pressure on the master cylinder. He doesn't think it's enough to move the throw out bearing much if any. But it doesn't seem right to him. McLoed has been calling him back for three days now. But hasn't yet. Anyone have similar problems??

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always use external. Easier to adjust, and replace.

16. External here too, plus I was making mine up as I was going along. I mounted my slave with a plate to the side of my '55 Chevy cast iron bellhousing.
    SLAVE.jpg

H380 and Dog_Patch like this.
  17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I run McLeods.... on both 32's.. never a problem.I wanted to run externals..no room.

18. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

I bought one a couple of years ago, then I read the reviews. Seems like the speedway unit had a lot of leakers. Am going to buy the complete external set up from Novak Conversions. Comes with shift fork, slave cyl, beefy bracket, push rod and spring. Fits almost all chevy bellhousings.

turboroadster likes this.
  19. mgermca

mgermca

There have been several threads on this subject here on the HAMB over the years. The one thing I have retained from reading them is that the cheaper ones have O ring seals and tend to be 'leakers', the expensive ones ( McLeod and Tilton for instance) have proper square cross section seals that are correct for sealing on a sliding piston.
    One of the posters on one of those threads said it is not correct engineering-wise to use an O ring to seal between two surfaces when one of them moves.
    Made sense to me, bought the McLeod. Expensive but no leaks.

Dr. Greg likes this.
  20. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

The McLeod takes the place of the bearing retainer and works fantastic. It is a aircraft quality piece that is self adjusting. I have run one in my Chevy gasser hooked to a M22 since '03 with no problems. Has a separate braided AN -3 line for externally bleeding. But a external slave cylinder from Speedway is a good less expensive alternative.

Turbo26T likes this.
  21. Good points on the McLeod and Novak products, totally top-notch and less likely to fail. Not cheap, but spend your $$ once.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That one is my favorite. I just put one a '40 Chevy, with a T5.

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On our dirt race car all but a Howe all were "Junk" and leaked some right from the package. I won't say whose but the are mentioned above.

24. no55mad

no55mad

I can vouch that the Speedway units leak - lots of work/expense to repair!

25. 327Eric

327Eric

I have a similar unit from Southwest speed in my Stude. 327 with a 65 truck bellhousing and a saginaw 4 speed. No problems bleeding or with reliabilty. I had to remove a shim after the initial test drive, otherwise trouble free for 8 years so far.

26. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

i have a mcleod unit in my jailbar 400clevo/toploader..been there a few years and not a problem...
    saved me more than a few headaches over the old standard one.....
    i found being in australia was a bit of a problem when setting it up....couldn't just run down the store and change pistons....so found making shims the easiest option.
    would not hesitate to use one again:)

27. I have a Tilton in my '32. They were one of the first and MANY road race teams have used them for decades now. I really like the feel of it - I'm using Wilwood pedal and master with it.
    I didn't want a slave style as the main reason for going hydraulic was to free up room for the exhaust.

52plybizcoupe likes this.
  28. I put a Tilton one in my car mainly because working in the marine industry I have seen o rings on hydraulic cylinders fail in the Tilton throughout bearing has lip seals

29. 32Tudor396

32Tudor396

The 57 to 60 Ford truck hydronic clutch works well if you want to have something on firewall that looks traditional.I believe parts can be bought at any parts store.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app