Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hydraulic Throwout Bearing with Y-Block?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bradberry00, Jun 9, 2009.

1. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, this my be a brain dead question, but I know nothing about hydraulic throwout bearings. I am in the planning stages of a build and I think a hydraulic throwout would be a nice and clean solution, freeing up some space at the same time. I am planning on running a y-block with a t-5 trans. Question is, do I just get a throwout bearing that is designed for the T-5 and everything will be gravy? seems too easy.....

can I use the yblock pressure plate and clutch?

thanks in advance,
    David

2. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

Hey David how ya been, haven't seen or heard from you in a long time.....Do a search for John Mummert on here or look at the y-block.com web site, i looked into doing this on my model A too, but didn't write any of the throwout bearing info in my notes. Hows the 55 doing? Hope your driving the wheels off it.....are you bringing it the Back to the 50's this year? maybe we could get together and BS a while....Scott

3. BigChief

BigChief

1957-64 truck Y-blocks have hydraulic clutches. They use a master and a slave cylinder. The slave cylinder bolts to the engine block. Makes for a very nice and compact installation. New and reman parts are readily available. LMC truck, Macs, Napa, etc, etc has everything you need.

4. RAY With

RAY With

The way I read his article is he is trying to free up some space and with the truck hydraulic set up you still have the TO bearing fork hanging way out there. I personally do not like the hyd internal TOB. I have one and its way to slow for my needs but if it makes the application work go for it

5. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah i know about the hydraulic clutch with the slave cylinder, but I like the cleanliness of the hydraulic throwout....its all just brain storming right now...thanks for the replies.

Scott good to hear from you, I sent you an e-mail.

6. ems customer service

ems customer service

make sure you get a throw out bearing with a bleeder port, i needed one and it was pain to find.