Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hydraulic lifters NOT made in China or Mexico

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beep, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a "good precision" set of hydraulic lifters for my 351W engine. The last three cam kits I have purchased has been Comp cams and every time at least one, but usually three or more of the hydraulic lifters rattle due to improper pump up. Replacing these lifters usually solve the problem.

I would rather buy a set made in AMerica if possible.

2. stimpy

stimpy

try mellings , made in jackson or muskegon michigan , or spend the money and by morels $$$

3. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

You sure this is a lifter problem?

4. Brian,,,Try Melling Tool in Jackson,Mich...They make most all lifters for most of the cam Mfgrs

5. Well you are probably putting them in a Mexican engine so I don't see the problem with Mexican lifters.

The last set of decent anti pump up lifters I bought were Erson maybe try a set of them.

6. 73RR

73RR

Hy-Lift Johnson, a division of TopLine Automotive
    Info line 800-441-1400

This is the good stuff.

7. oj

oj

What do you man 'rattle'. Something you might be doing, the recent lifters are 'stuck' in the upmost position - thats the way they come out of the box. When doing the initial adjustment you'll have to take it on faith to get the right preload, it won't collapse like the traditional lifter where you snug the pushrod and give it another 1/2ish turn and you can feel the lifter 'give'. They feel more as if they are 'pumped up' and solid.
    That last few cams I've done, Morrell lifters I'm told, have all been the same. Normally you'd have the intake off and run thu valve adjustment, be able to see what the lifter is doing and gage the preload but these lifters are stuck in the upmost position and you'll hear a 'pop' when they break loose as you rotate the engine by hand. Not all will break loose.
    You have yo take it on faith you did it right, when you fire off the engine they'll work proper but you'll be wondering.

8. sorry to comment here but its replies like the one above that slays me....Kinda like someone giving advice to Garlits on building a fuel engine...Brian has been building fuelie motors for longer than most members here on this board are in age..
    he was not asking for a cure to the problem,.,,just where to get some damn lifters

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That cracked me up:D

10. I maybe mistaken but it seems to me like most of not all the fuel motors I have ever been involved with ran solids, that being the case a man who builds fuel motors may not be familiar with anti-pump up hydraulics. Not to beat up on Beep or anyone else just something thing to think about.

I can't make this stuff up. :D

11. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

with out a doubt,I use them often. Truth be told there are only a small amount of lifter manufactures 3 maybe 4 in the u.s.
    Morel are proud of their stuff but it is worth it. I use their roller stuff but not sure of they have flat tappet stuff.
    Most cam company's are just reboxed ,same story with valve springs.
    Try bullit cams,they are a morel dealer and I have purchased hylift Johnson from them as well.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Who does make the lifters for Comp cams,I think I have them in my 351-W and have a couple that make noise after sitting and after a long trip. I talked to a local engine builder and they had trouble with them.

13. They are made off shore but where Im not sure

14. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I've sold countless sets of lifters over the years & agree the comp cams hyd lifters are prone to be noisy. They don't have as much "sponge" either. Kinda remind me of Rhodes design. I perfer for mild street build customers selling Melling, Erson or Comps "next step up" offerings. I'm 100% with you in the USA. That's why I like Melling. They been good to us last 40 years. Flux

15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ