Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hydraulic Emergency/Park Brake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seb fontana, Jan 23, 2019.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Title meaning can you use the hydraulic brake system for park/emergency brake..Will keeping pressure in the system be detrimental to longevity? I ask because I am noticing that ATV's are just locking the master cylinder in brake applied position for the emergency/park feature..

2. squirrel

squirrel

Might not be very useful as an emergency brake, if it depends on the same system to apply, as the regular brakes do.

Will it hurt stuff? I doubt it...

3. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, it covers the "park" piece of it. The "emergency", not so much.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Not legally in most, if not all states.

Black_Sheep and zzford like this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

In some forms of car racing it's popular to have a hydraulic hand brake, either on the line to the standard rear brakes or a separate system with its own caliper(s) on the rear. Way more braking force than a standard mechanical hand brake.

For a parking brake it usually isn't allowed on cars since even a microscopic leak will cause the brake to release in a while. For an E-brake I supposed it could be okay, at least the version with a completely separate system.

6. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Have used hydraulic caliper on a pinion mounted rotor that was a super park/E brake. Also the cable caliper on a pinion rotor that is also good since with either the braking force is multiplied by the rear gear ratio. When you run 5.14's the E-brake is awesome. The old trucks and Chrysler's had a drum and band on the trans output that was also a good brake.

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Street legal vehicles are supposed to have a redundant system independent of the regular brakes afaik. At least that's how it used to be.

zzford likes this.
  8. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

A buddy of mine is working on using Tesla electric parking brake calipers with rear disk brakes. The calipers are fairly compact and just need a simple bracket to mount. Not totally sure on the wiring, they are controlled through cars computer but looks like simple push button switches will work. we'll see.

9. slim39

slim39
    from pa

In 1967 UPS delivery trucks had a Micro brake that worked with the regular brake system, They used them for a quick stop to deliver. They also had a hand emergency for parking for a long period at the terminal

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Good replys, I hadn't thought of short term/long term....I have rear calipers coming but pretty sure there is no mechanical emergency/park mechanism; maybe I can add something..What I know of a caliper that has an additional park/emergency mechanicals has too small of a piston...