Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hydraulic clutch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deere boy, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Deere boy

Deere boy

Getting the linkage to my clutch to work properly is just about an impossibility. Getting good alignment is extremely hard. I was thinking about getting a hydraulic clutch kit from Speedway or somewhere. The thing is the clutch disengages pretty hard. I consider myself an almost average strength male and I can't disengage it by pulling on the three inches or so of the "lever" that sticks out of the housing. Since it is the only standard shift vehicle I have on the place I don't have much to compare it to. Anyway, I guess my question is, will one of the 3/4 inch bore master and slave cylinders operate a tough disengaging clutch?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 55willys

55willys

That is normal to not be able to move the clutch fork with your hand. Your leg is much stronger and when you add the multiplication of the pedal ratio (probably 6:1) you have a huge mechanic advantage. A hydraulic clutch will work but you should buy the highest quality parts or you will hate yourself. I would much rather use mechanical linkage if at all possible. If you run Hydraulic NEVER use D.O.T. 5 brake fluid in it. You will be sure to have a failure if you do. Post a picture of the area you can't fit it in and we will see if we can help.

chryslerfan55, racer-x and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  3. Dennis D

Dennis D

If you are strong enough to disengage the clutch by pulling on the lever with just arm strength, please don't ever punch me!

4. Deere boy

Deere boy

Good to know that they all pull hard. I am going to make another effort to fabricate mechanical linkage.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Pedal through the floor or hanging from the dash ?

6. Dont know what chassis your working with ,but several guys here have done cable clutches using I believe subaru clutch cable.Theres some bracket fabing,but for under floor pedals its pretty straight forward.If this would work for you do a search here for posts that will have pictures included.

7. Just Gary, 327-365hp, Bcap55 and 13 others like this.
  8. iagsxr

iagsxr

^^^^ That's pretty slick.

neilswheels, SlamIam and D-Russ like this.
  9. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have used the Brizio cable on several customer chassis with good results.

chryslerfan55 and D-Russ like this.
  11. Deere boy

Deere boy

D-Russ likes this.
  12. dont go cheap on the parts. i prefer Mcloud products for the throw out bearing. they have alot of cool features to them. use a hydraulic cylinder from wilwood with the largest bore they make. this will move the most fluid for a good pedal feel. ussually around 1 7/8.

chryslerfan55 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  13. Deere boy

Deere boy

Does it matter if the clutch cable is a little long? Ordered a standard Mustang cable and it could be a foot shorter, but since I have room for it, is that a problem? Seems like if it is extra long the bend can be smoother.

14. I would think as long as it fits,and you have enough adjustment to suit your needs its all good.

15. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

If leaving the cable long, you may want to add a support or two, to anchor the center of the loop. Some support would help control flexing, that could alter cable adjustment/throw.

D-Russ likes this.
  16. wandi harry

wandi harry

What is the issue with dot5?

chryslerfan55 and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  17. I agree with this. Think about a bicycle shifter or brake cable – when they're not securely anchored, the housing moves some resulting in less travel in the cable. Also, the longer the cable, the more it can stretch.

18. 55willys

55willys

For some reason the hydraulic clutch release bearings that are inside the bell housing fail and leak in a very short time after using DOT 5 brake fluid. The external slave cylinders seem to be a bit more tolerant to it but also have shorter lives. I think it has to do with the rubber composition.

chryslerfan55, D-Russ and wandi harry like this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They don't seem to like it.
    upload_2021-7-22_15-13-12.png

20. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I use hi-temp Wilwood fluid in mine and they said it was fine...

21. I run a hydraulic clutch in my Ford, 3/4" Wilwood master and Speedway 7/8" slave. I made up a steel plate for the firewall that locates the brake and clutch masters. The OG firewall had too much flex to it. I used the stock pedal location and a rod with heim ends.

I had previously made it too complicated, took about 3 weekends to go back to the simplest configuration with it.

22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  23. Hydraulic clutch ehh? Sounds shifty. He he.

bobss396 and SS327 like this.
  24. Mine has a small leak somewhere, looks like the slave. I lost feel in the pedal when It was low on fluid, added some and it felt normal. Has not leaked much since. I just added fluid, did not have to bleed it.

25. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

The ONLY way I'd ever do hydraulic is with an external slave !

26. brading

brading

Like the man says.

27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Update: Got a similar to the above lucas Hyd Stop Leak locally. Topped MC off and put about 10 miles on after pump up, on or about June 1st. Used today and did not have to pump up, leak seems to be fixed. :)