Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hydraulic Clutch - If leaking TOB, shouldn't fluid be low?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheMonkey, Sep 2, 2018.

1. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

Question: If my TOB went bad and leaks, shouldn't the fluid be low?

Clutch has stuck down on me a couple times, but fluid level is okay. Can bad TOB stick clutch down if it's not a leak?

Wilwood MC, McCloud internal hydraulic TOB.

The inspection hole, it all looks like it works okay when the clutch actuates. I can't tell if it's leaking in there, it's a Pontiac and it's pretty messy anyway from oil.

Worst problem to have is an intermittent problem. I have a road trip planned. What are the chances that it will be okay just from bleeding the system? Or is sticking pedal a guarantee that TOB ate it?

I have read that McCloud has had problems with these in the past. Vintage of this McCloud TOB is circa 2006. It's the one that goes on TKO600. If TOB seals went bad and it leaks, shouldn't fluid be low?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

McCleod HTOB needs to be used often. We've had seals leak and no fluid or slight leak. Replaced with Ram and never had a problem even when not used in between seasons of racing. Good luck.

3. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

This car stores through the Winters.

Not really understanding your message. Are you saying that TOB could be leaking but the fluid looks okay in MC? (Like what I'm seeing). Is that because so little leaks and causes sticking pedal?

Is sticking pedal a symptom of a leaking seals in TOB?

Thanks for any info. Sounds like I need to pull the trans before road trip... guess that's why this hobby isn't for everyone lol. I'll check out Ram, looks like they have one for the TKO600.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had my downs and ups with the McLeod TOB. They recommend activating the TOB occasionally during long storage. Having rebuilt the unit there isn't much to it. Your looks a little grimey up in there but mine will soon with usage.

Watching with anticipation for what others have to say.

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm wondering what that crud is around the piston and whether any has got into the seal. And as the clutch wears that piston will retract further to compensate for the wear, thereby putting more crud towards the seal, which can't be good. Might not be a help or possibly too late but I'd be trying to remove it, whatever it is.

btw, if the crud is some kind of lube, which my guess would be that its not required, it might have contaminated the seal, or worse, attracted grit and muck that's damaged the seal, or may do in time, but I'm just guessing.

An obvious question would be how many miles / years are on this? If it's 2006 as you appear to suggest it's already had a lot of use?

A small amount of leakage can look a lot worse than it is and wouldn't necessarily manifest itself in an obvious deficiency in the master.

Hang on! The clutch plate wears. The piston retracts. The fluid level in the master should rise (like retracting brake calipers)! Maybe it's leaking some but the aforementioned rising fluid factor is disguising the loss? Must be a small leak though as the wear factor wouldn't displace that much fluid, surely?

My 32 project has a Ram hydraulic TOB in it but it's not been ran yet, lots to learn!

Chris

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No pedal return spring? Also, did you adjust the pedal throw so you don't through too much pressure at the TOB? They don't need much travel, you could push fluid past the orings. Another thing, you are using DOT 3 fluid right?