Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hydraulic brakes on '36 Lincoln???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fory, Apr 19, 2017.

1. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

This isn't for a hot rod per se, but u figured thus would be the best forum to ask in..

I am looking to upgrade the brakes on a '36 Lincoln Zephyr to hydraulic. All of the information I can find is regarding fitting Lincoln hydraulic brakes to early Ford spindles, but I cant find much of anything regarding earlier Lincoln stuff, including dimensions of spindles in regard to bearing size, backing plate bolt pattern, backing plate offset, etc...

I suppose the most important question is how similar are these to the Ford spindles? If they are the same or similar enough it would be just like doing this to any Ford front end, and I could go from there. Otherwise, I'd love to hear some ideas. I can take any kind if measurements tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

memory says the 40's lincolns had the star style brake adjusters, like the later 50's and 60's brakes...

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster

I will try to look in the Lincoln parts book tonight. I'm pretty sure that will show your spindles to be '36 Ford, which can be readily adapted...though they are differrent both from '35 and '37. I think rear end is also going to be Ford based...if my memory leaks are correct, '36 was before LZ went to the hypoid rear...but in any case, axle ends are going to be just like Ford.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I doubt your brakes have much in common with Fords, they are probably bigger. I would start by measuring the diameter of the brake drums and trying to find hydraulic brakes the same diameter, possibly from a Ford pickup truck. Adapt the backing plates to your axles and fit brake shoes of the appropriate width.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster

Brakes will be totally different from Ford, but they aren't the issue...he wants to toss them for hydraulics. I'm pretty sure that catalog will confirm that this has the same range of conversion possibilities as a Ford.
    I think pre-hydraulic LZ's use entirely different brakes from Ford, but same 12" diameter.
    Will see what I can find on spindle tonight.
    Anyone with a '36-48 H type Lincoln should get a parts book, as it gives you quick ID of which parts are Ford and which are peculiar to LZ, giving a boost to the parts hunt.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

My impression was he wanted to keep stock appearance stock brakes and stock hubs and brake drums and stock wheels. That is why I suggested adapting backing plates from a car or pickup truck with the same diameter brakes.

7. choffman41

choffman41

I had Lincoln hydraulics on my '34 Ford so they should fit an earlier Lincoln I would think.

8. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Sorry, I did actually mean that I want to repkace the entire brake system with hydraulic, and am hoping that the later Lincoln Hydraulic brakes will fit my spindles. Everything else can go except the spindles, preferably. In more looking for the easiest route from A to B, which is why I'm hoping I could bolt up a complete later brake and just have to worry about the master cyl set up.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster

OK...finally remembered to look in the book. 1936 LZ used 1936 Ford front spindles and the rear axles and tubes are also pure Ford. Later LZ's changed all this stuff considerably, making it harder to research without parts in hand!
    So you have good spindles that follow same swap rules as Ford...but remember that '36 spindles are unique, different from 1935 and 1937, but not in ways that make life difficult if you know what's what.
    Choices...1936 spindles use the smaller backing plate pattern used 1928-35. Two paths here...I believe several years of early LZ hydraulics used this small pattern long after Ford did, and repros made thus are sold by one supplier...MT? Early V8 garage? Then, any brake setup made for '37-48 Ford spindles should adapt easily by the traditional routes of slotting the bracket/backing plate holes inward or welding them up and redrilling. Rear axles and axle tubes are plain Ford, and so adapt all the same.
    The unique '36 spindle uses the same backing plate pattern as Model A--1935 Fords, and so for some conversions will use the "piston Ring" spacer from the hydraulic conversion kits to center the backing plate. The length of the actual spindle shaft the hub turns on is the SHORT version used '37-48 and so needs no conversion there for anything I can think of...that means you discard the little bearing spacer ring that comes with the other spacer noted above.
    Some would go to the '37-41 spindle because that's what Street Rodder would do, but I don't see why you would want to actually raise a Zephyr and the other dimensional differences are trivial and have been handled by rodders on a zillion conversions of early Fords since 1939. Also the steering arm heights and Ackerman match the car...

10. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Bruce & others;
    Mr. Richard Lacy (Early V8 in Southern CA) sold me a great brake setup so I could use my original 32 spindles. These are the Lincoln brakes & work well & bolted up perfectly to the 32 spindles. A virtual bolt-on deal
    Call Richard. He made it sooo easy & not too expensive.
    With his setup, I then got new drums, hubs, etc thru Speedway.
    Brakes are great.
    I can't comment on the rear, as I use Ford 9" brakes on the rear of the Banjo.

11. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Thank you all for the recommendations!!! Very good to know its all Ford stuff there, that will make research and parts hunting much much easier. This is a "parade car" and so needs to be safe and reliable, and only more or less look the part from the outside.

Jimmy2car- thank you, I'll give Mr. Richard a call this next week sometime and see what we can come up with.