Register now to get rid of these ads!

hydramtic ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lexington, Sep 25, 2011.

1. lexington

lexington

Can anyone tell me about this hyramatic trans? The only id numbers I can find on it are IKH14023 casting number 8602272.It appears to be water cooled. At least I think it is. It has copper tubes running from 1 head and into the pan then back in the block on the other side. It is behind the flathead Caddy I mentioned in another post.I have searched this website as well as the internet and find no info about this unit.If anyone knows any info about gears and if it operates the same as the rest and what year it maybe, I would appreciate any thing you can tell me. Thanks Steve

2. lexington

lexington

3. BigJim394

BigJim394

Search some of the Hydramatic threads and you will find some info on water cooled hydramatics, that I believe were available for some vehicles like taxis.

4. BigJim394

BigJim394

Found this in an online article about old hydramatics:

"In 1954 a heavy-duty Hydra-Matic conversion package was available. It has an external transmission oil cooler, larger annular pistons, a modified engine water pump, and some other parts. It was intended for police cars, taxis, and road mail carriers. it could not be used on air conditioned cars. The cooler mounted on the transmission."

By the 56 model year the Jetaway had replaced the old style "4 speed" hydramatic. This 54 Conversion package may have only been available/used in the 54-55, or possibly even in just the 55 model year."

5. lexington

lexington

Thanks for the info. Anyone else have any info?

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If it's behind a flathead Caddy, and with "1" in the serial number, I would think it's posssibly a 1941 model trans. That was about the time Hydramatics appeared in Cadd
    ies. Also, flathead Caddies with Hydramatics were used in army tanks in WWII.

Maybe all wet here..........just offering food for thought.

Ray