Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hyd throwout brg

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by larry k, Sep 9, 2013.

1. larry k

larry k

Somebody school me on using a hyd throwout brg,,,do i really want to ??, what traps will i find when using one ??,can you shift fast ?? {help me}

2. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

The only real downsides are: if the TO bearing leaks you oil down the clutch and have to drop the tranny to repair, with a traditional clutch fork/ slave cylinder you have a bit easier adjustment and all leaks happen outside the tranny if it fails. The hydro bearing is an easier install initially though.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. larry k

larry k

i have a slave clyinder on now & can't shift very fast & the peddle has to be pushed to the floor every time i shift ???

4. cayager

cayager

what size master are you running. maybe need to change the bore size.

5. larry k

larry k

running a 1" now !... maybe smaller will give me more movement, but won't speed it up ???see my problem...

6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Decreasing your mc will increase the travel of the slave in relation to the master but also increase needed force at the pedal [think about it] maybe increasing the line/fitting sizes will make it faster acting , i.e. quicker fluid return, that's what I never liked about the "old style " hyd. clutch setups , you couldn't shift fast .
    dave

7. If the pedal effort's really light you can go slightly bigger bore on the M/C or slightly smaller on the slave cyl. Whichever's cheaper/easier. Hydraulic TO's are expensive and inaccessible for service/repairs IMO

8. PackardV8

PackardV8

The hydraulic throwout bearing has become universal on OEMs. I use them exclusively now and think they're the way to go. There can be a learning curve, as there is no "bore size" to calculate as with a master/slave.

It does take some getting one's head around the fact the throwout bearing is running hard against the pressure plate fingers all the time. All old guys learned to drive with dad saying, "Never ride the clutch. You'll burn it out!" The hydraulic throwout bearing is riding the clutch all the time and they seem to go at least 100K miles.

jack vines

9. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

It seams the OEM Hyd. setups are much better engineered and less troublesome than aftermarket units. If you can adapt an OEM unit It probably be OK.

Ago

10. larry k

larry k

so what you are telling me is to run the bearing touching the fingers on the plate with clutch peddle out, ????:eek: your right im an old guy and that is different, damn the power of the hamb, i learn every day on here, thanks jack for your help...;)

11. gtowagon

gtowagon

I have found the mcleod hyd throwout bearings to be very reliable. You have to be careful with the measurements when ordering to get the correct one. A lot of leaking problems are caused by overextending the bearing pushing the piston past the seals. I like the bolt on one for a muncie

12. mustangsix

mustangsix

OT MGB, but I had not room in the tunnel for a releaase arm so I made an adapter plate and AN fittings to put a late model Camaro HTOB unit on my Ford T5.

I used a stock 3/4" MGB MC and it works very nicely.