Register now to get rid of these ads!

HVLP Turbine Paint Systems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TxF100, Nov 9, 2010.

1. 55CadillacTed

55CadillacTed

I'm a first time painter. Spent $500 on a Fuji HVLP turbine system. It works amazing. So glad I went this direction instead of buying a compressor, air filters, etc.
    Perfect warm dry air every time.

2. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

There's a guy locally selling a Croix CX-8 turbine setup with the 2 qt remote pot. Does anyone know anything about this setup? What would be a good price, assuming it works ok? If I can get it cheap enough, I may buy it just for the hell of it - I can always use it to paint my house!

55 CadillacTed - which Fuji setup did you get? Where did you buy it? Thanks

3. husker

husker

So did you buy the local one dads?

4. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

The seller traded it for a set of drums, but he thinks the guy he traded it to just wants to sell it, so he's gonna check into it for me.

5. dubie

dubie

I just bought a TP Tools Showtime 90 Sprayer the other day. I'm going to mix up some paint and shoot my door panels this week for it's first test drive. After reading so many great testimonials on the turbines, I decided to give it a try.

6. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Cool I'm interested to know how it goes for you!

7. 57210

Does anyone know of a gravity cup retrofit for an Accuspray model 10 gun?

8. Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  9. Anyone know how these would work with the newer water based paints?

10. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

Talk about digging up an old thread. I just started doing some research on these turbine systems and the one thing that keeps being mentioned is that the hot coming out requires more thinners and retarders. Is it ok to cool the air before it goes into the gun? Maybe a long length of hose for cooling, or coiled up in cold water or ice. Maybe it is not necessary at all- just add some more thinner and retarders? Just thinking out loud. I will be spraying lacquer.

Jim

11. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I read somewhere about someone doing just that - coiling the hose in a bucket of ice. I wonder if that wouldn't introduce some moisture into the air stream though, with the cooling of the air causing some condensation.

12. 70 El Camino

70 El Camino
    from California

I just bought a used TP Tools turbine and have not have a chance to use it so I can't really answer your question but I heard another suggestion of putting bags ice near the turbines intake to cool the air.
    I think this the only active forum on the use of turbines for car painting.I hope it keeps going because I have a lot of questions myself like what's the best gun.I think read here someone used a Fuji gun that was really good but I don't know what model

13. LittleBritishCar

LittleBritishCar
    from Napa, CA

I have the T tools rig and love it so far. I have only used it to apply epoxy primer but I appreciated the lack of overspray versus a HVLP or conventionall gun

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

15. 70 El Camino

70 El Camino
    from California

I plan on painting my car with lacquer so I don't think I'll need a fresh air system but take any precaution needed.

16. lrapso

lrapso
    from Costa Rica

Hello Will like to know if these system is the same as airless painting?

does the regular guns work with the turbine systems?

thanks

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Not the same as airless, and no.

18. dubie

dubie

I use 3M organic vapor cartridges on my respirator for spraying base and clear coat in my home shop. I have a high CFM barn style exhaust fan that is filtered at the back of my garage, as well and a filtered fresh air port in the opposing wall to draw air from. You can buy disposable Tyvek suits in 1 piece or 2 piece and it only costs $50 for 25 suits, it's money well spent guys. It's very important to protect yourself as much as possible when making a liquid paint solution atomize into tiny airborn particles. You don't want to end up with rainbow lungs that cut your life short because you were "to cool" to wear the right gear.

slack likes this.
  19. enigmatic

enigmatic
    from Allen tx

Ok, I know this thread is old but I have a question about turbine systems. I am looking at a Croix cx-5 which is a 2 stage turbine.... the question is, is a 2 stage system sufficient to paint with or does it have to be a 3 and above. Thanks for any advice/help you can give me on this topic. :confused:

20. txturbo

txturbo

mine is a single stage and it paints cars just fine.

21. I shoot with acrylic enamel and I use the high temp reducer to solve this problem.

22. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I just purchased an HVLP Turbine system and can't wait to try it out.

I have many friends who own one and swear that it is one of the best tools they ever purchased.

I also like the fact that it is portable and that there is so little over spray that it really pays for itself in paint it saves.

All of the guys who fix small dents at dealerships seem to be using them.

Jimbo

23. enigmatic

enigmatic
    from Allen tx

txturbo, which brand/unit do you have. Just wondering... Thanks for helping out the FNG LOL

24. I wasn't aware of these type of units till last year when a co-worker of my wife, a hot rodder, used one to paint his '47 merc custom in metalflake brown. He's not a painter, never claimed to be, just a DIY guy that needed a car painted he's got the TP system and swears by it, I saw the car up close and no visible flaws, tiger striping, flake flop, mismatches, etc the usual stuff to look for in a high metallic paint job, you could've sworn it was done by a pro shop, I've been interested in the turbine system every since after seeing the results up close, have yet to use one myself but have painted a few cars the "traditional" method (HVLP)...

25. These systems have always interested me. The savings on paint alone would be great if these systems really live up to the claims. I would really like to see a video of somebody using one of these systems to shoot a finish coat on a complete car so that I could get an idea of the technique used, since I am used to conventional systems.

26. luckystiff

luckystiff

I bought a used Apollo 2 stage off ebay a few years ago. new price on it was over a grand. I got it shipped to my door for $350 I believe it was. after using it I would spend the $1000 on one new if I needed it without thinking about it. the learning curve is short. as said High Temp(I've used mid in COLD weather) Reducers and spray a few test panels to get used to it's flow and your golden. with the current cost of paint if you get one for the right price it'll pay for itself in a coupla complete paint jobs....ken...

27. TudorTumor

TudorTumor

I'm getting ready to paint my Tudor at home as soon as it warms up a little. I've been researching Turbines and have decided it's the way to go. I like the Fuji, parts are available locally.
    I'm wondering what size Turbine those with experience using them to paint cars would recommend, Two Stage or Three?

Update: email from Fuji advising that the 2 Stage inadequate to Paint a Car.
    I purchased the 3 Stage.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  28. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Going to put my HVLP on the market. Served me well.

29. '48IHC

'48IHC

X2! I bought my sata 3000b 1.4 tip and sata 100bf 1.7 guns for $400 with very little spray time on them. I won my sata 4000rp 1.4tip in a state wide refinishing competition in colorado last summer when I was finishing up school.

30. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Very informative thread.Thanks to all the posters for the info.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo