Register now to get rid of these ads!

HVLP Turbine Paint Systems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TxF100, Nov 9, 2010.

1. stacy532

stacy532

i can tell you my two stage unit cant even spray Thompson water seal very well. until i get this one finished i cant comment on how much of an improvement this 3 stage is . i have hooked it up and i can say the flow of air seems almost double.

2. hfseas

hfseas

Hello everyone first time poster. Enjoyed reading all the great information so far. Hard to find a definitive resource on these turbine sprayers really.
    Looking at building my own and utilizing commercial gun/hose, for automotive painting application. Should save some money over a purchased one and think it will be fun to build one and will have a better understanding of the machine in doing so.

I was reviewing a thread linked earlier, from quite some years ago:
    http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fine-woodworking-knots/finishing/homemade-hvlp

I am trying to decide on my turbine arrangement. My first thought is that I would prefer to "overbuild" it. As discussed in that thread two turbines were hooked together, inlet to outlet. A 2 stage and a 3 stage turbine, thus equating to a "5 stage unit". Given that a 2 and 3 stage unit purchased together are a decent amount cheaper than a single stage 4 or 5 unit I am in favor of that idea. However, this is where I am confused. My understanding is that a vac turbine can only "put out" what is takes in. For example, given that the stage 3 is taking air from a stage 2, would that not mean that I would then only have basically 2 stage 2's, since the 3 can't suddenly make more pressure/cfm than the 2 is putting out?

My other concern is heat and power, would 2 units not put out more heat than one larger single stg 4/5 turbine, and require more current?

I am trying to decide between joining a stage 2 and 3 together and rolling with a single stg 4/5 unit.

Thanks for the time and help.

3. Todd F

Todd F

I created this account simply to post my appreciation to all that have contributed. This thread was a big motivation for me to craft my own turbine unit. Enjoy the pictures and feel free to ask any questions, I'll attempt to answer them.

A few details:
    • I attempted to emulate some of the features of the Fuji Q-series with convoluted air intake paths and segmented cooling air for the motor.
    • I went all in with the Apollo 7500T with PPS H/O gravity feed. Finish Systems had the best package pricing I could find.
    • The motor is a "scratch-and-dent" unit out of a 5-stage Capspray 105 from JNEquipment. It was obviously used, but works perfectly. Pricing was quite good.
    • I got the Graco hose from them as well.
    • I really liked the system Apollo has for their variable speed units and I wanted to be able to get to something similar down the road. This drove my decision to both do variable speed control and then drive it with an Arduino.
    • Way down there is my safe measurement of the chopped AC waveform with control coming from the Arduino.
    • The Apollo system uses PID control and a pressure sensor to tell when it isn't in use a reduces the motor to idle. No time to work on that now, but everything is in place to do so.
    • (I would really recommend getting a cheap HF motor controller and using that to vary the speed. WAAAAY less time and frustration!)
    • With this unit, I've been able to spray SW Duration or Behr Premium Plus Ultra un-thinned. Not to mention varnish, etc.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

jack_pine likes this.
  4. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

Just catching up with this thread. I looked at the Turbine HVLP systems when I was restoring the Wild Child back in 2004 and did my own comparison to a conventional system for both capabilities and cost. I decided on buying a TP Turbine system. What I really liked about it is that there is virtually no over spray meaning I can paint in my home based shop a lot easier that a regular system. And there are no fish eyes with the warm air system.

I first painted the Wild Child with base/clear in 2004 and it came out great. Sure I have to wet sand it down but who doesn't do that anyway for a good finish. It looks great to this day.

I then painted the Raven in 2009 with the TP Turbine HVLP system using Ditzler DDL9200 double deep black lacquer and it came out simply fantastic. We unveiled the restored Raven at the 2009 Detroit Autorama show and took a first place Radical Custom Convertible award. We were next invited to show the car at the special History of Customs at the 2010 GNRS show. From there the Raven went on exhibit at the Petersen Museum and in 2012 we were invited to sho the car at the Pebble Beach Concour D'Elegance. The Raven is now on exhibit t the Owls Head Transporttion Museum in Maine.

After almost 7 years the paint still looks fantastic. It actually looks so much better than the base coat / clear I had a professional body shop paint on my 67 GTO. I'm painting my 37 5-window next with the system.

I really like it a lot .....

Attached Files:

jack_pine likes this.
  5. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Now that is an endorsement! Is the TP Tools unit a 3 stage, 4 stage?

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

TP tools info:
    SHOWTIME 90 HVLP Advantages:

• Low overspray - 80% LESS than conventional guns
    • Up to 50% paint savings!
    • Always dry, oil-free air supplied to gun
    • No air compressor required to paint
    • Plugs into any 115 volt 12 amp electric outlet
    • Professional results in your own shop!
    • 60 cfm - 5.7" XH-duty 2-stage turbine with permanently lubricated bearings
    • Large 7" rear wheels and easy-maneuvering 2" locking-swivel front wheels
    • 16"w, 18"d, 28"h. Ship wt.: 61 lbs.
    • Tested and proven - patented Turbine Power Unit made in USA since 1993!
    Obviously the guys who say 2 stage turbines won't work are wrong.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  7. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

I am super pleased with the system. There is almost no over spray and it works just fine for me. I'll be painting the 37 5-window coupe over the winter and the lower part of the RV this spring. The fact that I can paint the RV outside with no over spray to cause concern in my neighborhood is a good thing.

IMG_0428.JPG IMG_04251.JPG

Attached Files:

8. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

I doubt it I will ever paint with a conventional spray system again after using a HVLP Turbine system. For me if just works. Lost of reasons. First a complete system can be bought for about $700 and that inlcudes the turbine unit, hose, and gravity gun with two tips. There is virtually NO over spray and no stirring up of dust. The air is warm; hence no fish eyes, no water spitting, and the paint is pre-heated when it goes on. And you use a lot less material.

Okay so it might not be as smooth as an expensive gun in an expensive spray boot but who ever paints a show car without color sanding and buffing. All said and done, the Raven took a 1st Place Radical Custom at the 2009 Detroit Autorama, was invited for a special History of the Customs display at the 2010 Grand National Roadster Show, was on exhibit at the Petersen Museum in L.A. for 13 months, was invite to the Pebble Beach Coucour D'Elegance in 2012, and is currently on loan and display at the Owls Head Transportation Museum.

And my friends all said "You can't paint with one of those HVLP Turbines". I just look at them and laugh.

Raven-5_87.JPG 5455922497_d1cf295201_o.jpg IMG_4466.JPG
    MB2_Raven_SM_1689-DG.jpg Raven OHTM 1.jpg IMG_0298.JPG
    2012-pebble-beach-concours-drsquoelegance-photo-470625-s-520x318.jpg

slack, dubie, oldcars.acadia and 2 others like this.
  9. papajohn

papajohn

Anyone spray flake with an HVLP turbine?

tattoos by brandon likes this.
  10. ehjun

ehjun

i just got a turbine thanks to this thread. it was a local buy so it didnt come with a gun. whats a good gun to get with one of these sprayers? does any hvlp gun work? i got a fuji minimite 4

11. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Has to be a gun made for use with a turbine. Guns made for use with high pressure air reduce the pressure within the gun while a turbine type gun is made to use air supplied at low pressure. The hose from the turbine to the gun, and its connections, will be closer to the size of a garden hose and much larger than the normal high pressure hose used with other guns.

12. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Yes. I use turbine hvlp systems to spray floor coatings for different effects. We've used all kinds of metallics and pearls for different effects and they spray fine. If you do large flake, you need to use a large tip and continually shake the cup to ensure it doesn't settle. The thing to watch is a large tip can spray out a quart in a very short time, so watch volume. I also use a slower reducer than normal because the turbine increases temp, and things won't flow out properly if it dries too quickly.

papajohn likes this.
  13. vwwesty

vwwesty

Hello, I have been using a Fuji Minimite 3 with a 1.4 needle for about 3 years now, to shoot lots of trim and cabinets using shellac primer and acrylic/latex paint. I was initially warned by the vendor that the learning is very frustrating and it turned out to be true - I wanted to throw the unit out the window. But once you manage to dial it in for a particular paint, it lays down like glass and it never has problems. I would like to try my hand at painting my VW bus and I would like to ask what type and brand of automotive paint and reducer to use, as well as what size needle setup for a single stage paint. I watched some of the videos in the thread and I was surprised to see that the guy was shooting from afar and with a pretty wide fan pattern. If I do that with shellac primer or water thinned acrylic house paint, the particles dry by the time they hit the surface (I use a 25ft hose and 6ft whip and the air is hot). Thank you

14. 4horsefrank

4horsefrank

I've been reading this informative thread and would like to add the attached info I have.. There is very little difference in the cost of a 3stage turbine to a 6 stage turbine. ($150) or so. I am attaching a spec sheet I found for Ametek.

15. 4horsefrank

4horsefrank