Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUSTLER straight line sander, worth the $$?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ray, Oct 8, 2006.

1. ray

ray
    from colorado

so i'm sick of the crappy import straight line sanders that don't last worth a damn. i've been thinking about picking up a Hutchins Hustler, or Hustler II, they're not exactly cheap, about $230-260. is it worth the long green? any others you'd recommend?

2. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Most of the major body shops have these because they're well make, they work and they last a long time. I would spend the money.

3. DHD

DHD
    from Ottawa, ON

I've had mine for 11 years of professional use, no problems, same goes for the orbitals. No one makes a sander like Hutchins, I've seen lots of ancient ones still around in the trade, you won't go wrong with one of these

4. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

As said there excellent quality and reliable,i also have a viking ive used for years that id say is every bit as good as the hustler may check them out if they still make them.

5. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

I'm head tech in a tool repair shop, I've rebuilt a few of the Hutchins sanders over the years and they ALL come in very used up.

The don't seem to fail for no good reason or be bad out of the box. All the ones I've seen through my shop are about 10 years old and are honestly worn-out.

They can be rebuilt and seem to be about the best ones going.

Dynabrade sanders are good too, they make a drop-in motor kit. When the air motor goes bad just unscrew it and screw in a new one.

Surprisingly I have to say stay away from Ingersoll Rand and Chicago Pneumatic, their customer support is terrible.

As always, you get what you pay for.

Shawn

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The first air tool I bought was my Hutchins Hustler. Back in about 1979.
    Still have it, still works great.

7. if it says hutchins on it ya cant go wrong. i have had my air file and a DA now for almost 12 years and seldom oil it and they both still work perfect.

8. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

I have a Hustler 2000 straightline, and its great. I bew up several cheapo inline sanders, but the Hustler is almost indestructable. It is smooth and easy to use. I also use a National Detroit 900 orbital sander with an 8 inch disk. This sander is used to shape the repair, then I hit it with the Hustler inline, then I block by hand.

9. Sinner

Sinner

I'm usin' my dad's that he bought in the seventies.
    It still runs like a top.

10. ray

ray
    from colorado

thanks guys, sounds like i can't hardly go wrong.

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Do they still make the ATCO straight line air file? I had about 20 years on
    mine, untill December 2 1991, when some prick stole it! , but I'm not
    bitter!

Swankey Devils C.C.

12. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

I use a Hutchins 4500 D/A, and it's the nicest one I've ever used. It's a superb tool for finishing work.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

13. Hutchins and Dynabrade are excellent brands . You really need to be aware of the balance of the sander, (does it transmit alot of vibration into your hands) This goes a long way as far as how well the sander removes material, how long the machine will last, but most importantly your hands are what you use to determine if your panel is straight . If the sander is not balanced correctly it makes the job of identifing your hi & lowspots more difficult because the vibration numbs the feeling in your hands. I find that most shop guys today use a straightline very little and many prefer an 8" orbital and a good flatboard. The orbital will sand just as straight as the airfile, (Its really the operator that controls the tool) , and is actually faster and easier to work with.

If your going to purchase one get over to a local auto body supply house dont buy mailorder. A good one will let you test drive the tool to find out if its really to your likeing ,you will be able to compare one to the other and be able to make the best decision for your needs.

Larry

14. ray

ray
    from colorado

i ordered a hustler, yeah, mail order, i did check for a local supplier that carried them first though. anyway it should be here any day now. i do have a couple of good orbital sanders and a board. i actually prefer sanding by hand using a flatboard, but my arthritis dictates otherwise:mad:

15. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

If vibration is a concern, the Hutchins 4500 D/A has a short stroke and four bearings. It hardly vibrates at all.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/