Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hurst style mount for inline six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jethro, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's been a while since I've posted anything Jalopy related. I've finally got the place to where I can get back to working on cars again.

Here's where I'm at...
    A while back I decided to go inline on this car , just to be a little different. I flipped the firewall and snuck every inch I could to move the engine back. Well, that still wasn't enough! So I tunnelled the firewall back a couple more inches and started to move everything backwards. I was thinking about re making my motor mounts again when I had a "aha" moment. I was just recently going over some model a builds and the best one was Mr Bass's 29 roadster build. the one detail that I just fell in love with was his take on a Hurst type mount. He's a visionary! he took the utilitarian looking Hurst piece and transformed it into a stylish , beefy piece of art. If I could only get mine to look half as good I'd be giddy.

So I got out my crayons and paper and drew my first attempt. Transferred it to metal and burned it out. Grind , grind , grind....weld , weld , weld and voila (not WALLA)....I was pleased with the result , but not in love with it. Back to my crayons....draw , draw , draw , ...cut , cut , cut , .....burn , burn , burn , ...grind , grind , grind , weld , weld , weld and VOILA! I gotta say I spent a lot of time looking at Mr Bass's mount for inspiration....now if I could only weld like him.....

Attached Files:

2. LowFat48

LowFat48

very slick , I like that alot .....

3. troylee

troylee

thats cool.

4. F&J

F&J

I reworked my front saddle mount today for a 324 Olds. I just needed something that was strong and fits.

No carma today; I kept finding out that the metal that is hot enough to cause blisters, looks exactly like cold metal.;)

As far as welding; One hamber said "I am not a very pretty welder, but I am great with a grinder"

5. hotdamn

hotdamn

seriously you're some kinda badass bro...

6. what inline 6 is your engine? any side pic's?

7. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a 292....I've posted some pics in other threads

8. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

As always, nice work Jethro.

9. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bonehead, is that your car in your avatar?....Got any more pics of the motor?

10. David Chandler

David Chandler

I've only seen one mounted like that. It was a 250 into a 57 chevy. But instead of side to side, they mounted it in the front, on two small rubber blocks. Your's looks a Hell of a lot better. And I know what you mean about setback in a model A. I've been mocking mine up with a 250, and I'm thinking of using a V6 instead. There just isn't enough foot room without moving the whole body backwards, on top of the firewall surgery.
    Good Luck!

11. Nice job - But I wonder if you aren't putting one hell of a load on the Bellhousing by hanging that big old heavy six from the front and the trans from the rear. Or are you going to add a mid mount as well?

12. josh highley

josh highley

13. cederholm

cederholm

Now that's cool!

14. I think he said he was taking those off :confused:

15. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

very nice!!!!!!!

16. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

General concensus is I should use a mid mount...I was kinda leaning that way anyway. I am thinking of using the botton four bellhousing holes for the dust cover and making a mount that mimics the front one. Once I get the frame mounts in and set my height I'll tackle that hurdle.

17. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Yes I do, I will see about posting some up for yea.

18. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Here you go...The headers that you see here are no longer on the engine, I made a set like you have, thanks for the idea....mike

Attached Files:

19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Nice work. I love inline sixes.

20. Snarl

Snarl

Looks good...

I believe those front corner mounts were intended for boat applications. In my opinion, It would be best to run the side mounts and one under the trans (assuming automatic?) for a 3 point setup, rather than trying to do a 5 point mount. My concern is that any meaningful frame twist with that 5 point setup, and you could have some broken parts on your hands. Your call....

21. hotdamn

hotdamn

wasnt the AD pick ups mounted like this though? they had biscuit mounts in the front and bellhousing mounts in the back?

now grant it they were only creating 120hp max but mounted the same though correct?