Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hurst shifter rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jsteph, Jan 24, 2016.

1. jsteph

jsteph
    from phoenix az

Anyone know how to put this piece back together. Two springs inside and a washer any pics on how it goes back together would be great

Attached Files:

2. Is It a 3 speed or 4 speed shifter, in the picture it looks like a 4 speed shifter , there is some difference between the two. Since this is your first one I suggest you find someone who has some shifters and then you can see how to put it back together. What your showing in the picture is not all of the parts and to try and explain how to put it together on Here would be a pain in the butt, so I would see if I could find someone that has a shifter you can look at to see how to put it back together. It pretty easy just take your time, also make sure you have all the parts. Here is a picture of all the parts for a 4 speed shifter. 4 Speed Shifter Breakdown.jpg

3. jsteph

jsteph
    from phoenix az

I don't know??

4. jsteph

jsteph
    from phoenix az

It is a 4 speed but it doesn't contain the parts shown it is a little different

5. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

6. Go to Google and type in exploded view of hurst 4 speed shifter there are two you tube videos a part 1 and a part 2 they will show you how to rebuild a shifter.

pat59 likes this.
  7. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

If it doesn't have the parts shown in 38 2 DR Sedan's photo you are missing most of the shifter.
    Your photo shows an early handle. Not a later bolt on unit. It could be a Competition Plus ( 4 speed ) or a Syncro Lock ( 3 Speed ). The handles were the same.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have built a few Comp plus's over the years, and I haven't seen this piece. that and the early style stick was why I asked if it was a syncro-loc. and yes, whatever shifter it is, most of it is missing in this photo. I have a syncro-loc I need to dis-assemble so I can get the stick re-chromed, but I haven't taken it apart yet, so I don't really know what it looks like inside.
    image.png
    When the op said this wasn't even the shifter in question, I decided discretion was probably the better part of valor, and decided to bail.;)

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Google "Hurst shifter rebuild" and you'll find a lot of videos detailing disassembly, rebuild & assembly.

10. mopacltd

mopacltd

Hurst has a service to rebuild the shifter for you, but they are pretty proud of their service and it is pricey.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you got a photo of the shift levers that should come out the bottom? A four speed will have three of them.
    I don't remember ever seeing a Hurst brand shifter with that base/body on it but it could be a factory setup for some brand of car from the 60's or 70's
    The shape of the handle resembles the shape of the truck handle on the Hurst 3 speed in my 48 but mine bolts on just as most all other Hurst handles do.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^I read this to mean the one in the photo isn't even the shifter hes working on. Maybe the op can clear that up??