Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hurst shifter bracket help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deto, Oct 13, 2015.

1. deto

deto

Guys,

Bought a tri 5 hurst 4 speed shifter, minus the bracket.

A fellow hamber reached out and said he had the correct bracket.

I can't figure this one out... am I missing spacers or something? Did I buy the wrong bracket

If anybody knows which one is right can you put up a picture or a link to it?

1444790095246.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. deto

deto

Don't know if this helps

1444790238820.jpg 1444790246516.jpg

3. squirrel

squirrel

that looks like a 3 speed bracket. The 4 speed bracket bolts to the tailhousing with three bolts,

4. deto

deto

... and that's what I get for letting someone tell me it's what I need instead of doing my own research. Thanks squirrel.

5. squirrel

squirrel

[​IMG]

this is the new installation kit you can buy for the competition plus shifter, although it may not be specific to tri 5 chevys. It gives you an idea what the bracket looks like. Some of them were cast aluminum.

6. deto

deto

This one?

Attached Files:

7. You bought the wrong bracket..Mark T clearly says it fits chevy back to 1955....no 4 speeds back then. It's for the chevy 4 bolt side cover 3 speed trans. The 4 speed bracket is a little aluminum bracket that adapts the Hurst 4 speed shifter to the tailshaft housing with 3 mounting bolts. 34muncie.jpg 34muncieand hurst.jpg

8. squirrel

squirrel

There are a bunch of similar, but different, brackets for putting a Hurst shifter onto a 4 speed transmission. You need to make sure you get the right one, it has to put the shifter where it belongs, and match the linkage. If you have linkage, then you can kind of figure out where the shifter needs to be based on that, and figure out what the bracket needs to look like. If you can find an old Hurst catalog or instruction sheet that lists the part numbers, you might be able to figure it out that way.

I would not buy a shifter without all the stuff that goes with it...and also without knowing the exact application for the mounting kit.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

deto, There are plenty on that auction site we all know and love; course they usually want more than they're actually worth. Pretty sure "brigrat" had a few for sale; he's across the mountains from me. IF you can't find one soon, let me know, and I'll take the one off my spare trans and send it to you N/C. Probably should have done that to start with. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. deto

deto

You're correct. I posted a thread asking what bracket I needed to install a hurst on a Muncie 4 speed. I posted that it was the curved one to clear a tri-5 bench seat. I was clear it was going on a 4 speed muncie, and I assumed the years he was giving me was showing compatibility for bench seat cars. Not transmission. I'm going to order the bracket now. Thanks

@Rocky

11. deto

deto

Butch, you're too good. Don't sweat it. I know which bracket I need. Gonna order it right now. You already cut me a killer deal on the shifter

12. Check this site, lots of good information here that will help you. They have old instructions too. I just went through sorting out the Hurst for my Ford... no idea how my OG shifter box wound up with enough parts to build 2.5 shifters... this helped me sort it out. If you need a specific part number mounting plate, PM me and I'll see if I have it.

http://www.hurstshiftersonline.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=54

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^Bingo. I used this page to help sort out what parts I needed for a comp plus on the toploader in my falcon. A link to this should be on every musclecar guys desk top.

14. deto

deto

I looked up the shifter I had on that website, and then bought the matching bracket. Thanks guys