Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hurst reverse loc out Need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49coupe, Oct 1, 2010.

1. 49coupe

49coupe

I'm running a 4 spd on the column in my '49 Ford coupe with a 4 spd Super T-10, therefore I need separate floor shifter for reverse. A few people I've spoken to put me onto this Hurst reverse loc out set-up, but I can't see how this set-up works.

Does someone have a picture of what this kit looks like installed? I've having a hard time seeing how a plate & shifter that moves up and down will move a lever back an forth on the transmission. Maybe I'm just tired and it's Friday.

Attached Files:

2. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I've never run one, but my understanding with them is it doesn't operate reverse. It is an accessory to prevent you from accidentally puting the trans in reverse. It doesn't substitute a shifter.

deathrowdave likes this.
  3. From what I understand they are pretty straight forward, the instructions come in the package, cant be that difficult. Put on your man boots and do it. :)

4. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

It doesn't operate a lever it just blocks the shifter and prevents it from shifting into reverse. I should have a picture of the instructions that I can post as soon as I can find them.

It won't work for what you're wanting to do. It only works in conjunction with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010

5. Larry T

Larry T

You might look at some circle track shifters. Seems like there are some that have 1 lever/shift arm. If you can rig up a 4 speed column shift, it shouldn't be too hard to rig something up, even if you can't get a "factory built" unit.

You might look at this.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stock-Car-Automatic-Shifter,2801.html
    Larry T

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

A reverse Lock Out means just that . You can't put into reverse with out disengaging the lock out . If you want a separate shifter for reverse that shouldn't be that hard to make . All you need is a rod attached to the reverse lever and just have it come thought the floor into a console or something like that and just open up a lid on the console and push or pull the rod to engage or disengage reverse that way with a simple push or pull of a shift rod .
    just my opinion .

Retro Jim

7. Why have a 4 speed on the column if you're going to put a lever in the floor for reverse anyhow ? It would seem to be much easier to make that lever out of the floor work all the gears.

8. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

That's funny. The Modified I ran had two shifters. One for reverse, and one for high/low. Never put the transmission in two gears at the same time was the rule. You probably don't want something set up that way.:D

9. Larry T

Larry T

I've got to admit that I don't see the logic of setting up a 4 speed on the column, if you're gonna run a floor shifter too. It kinda looks like twice the trouble to set up and twice the trouble to use, but 49coupe was looking for how not "should I?". (G)
    Larry T

10. The kit you pictured goes INSIDE a Hurst shifter to prevent accidentally throwing the lever into reverse when bangin' gears...

Retro Jim is correct in that all you need is a simple push pull arrangement connected to the reverse arm on the trans. IMO, it should be pretty beefy, as those old boxes can be pretty tough to get into reverse sometimes.

11. 49coupe

49coupe

Thanks guys. I didn't think it would work on it's own. I'll come up with a lever. I went through the trouble to put the 4 spd on the column since I'm not a fan of bench seat shifters. This way I can keep the stock appearance and put a small lever on the floor.

12. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

I had a friend that used a choke type cable set up and mounted it in the dash in place of cigarette lighter.

Just looking at the car you'd never know it was there. It was a pretty nice set up.

13. sonoramic

sonoramic
    from Maryland
    1. Maryland HAMBers