Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hurst Racing Slicks.........Feedback

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1940 Willys Coupe, Aug 7, 2008.

1. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

I was wondering if anyone had recently bought a set of the pie crust slicks from Hurst and what their opinion was. My questions?

1. Have you run them on the strip and do they "hookup" ?

2. Did you screw them to your rims?

3. What air pressure did you run?

Any other feed back anyone could give would be appreciated.

Thanks to the H.A.M.B. and all the people who make it great!

Gary

2. novadude

novadude

One more to the list....

4. Do they take a lot of weight to balance?

3. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

4. pkj

pkj

i have not run my pair yet, but the balancing was an issue. one called for 2 oz. the other is using 40 plus oz. and yes the tire was moved on the rim twice to find the least amount of wieght needed. still love the look of them. pkj

5. hotrodtodd

hotrodtodd
    Member Emeritus
    from Houston

I run a pair on the street with the dirt track cut. I have the same problem with balancing, 40oz of weight even after rolling on the rim.

6. beatnik

beatnik

I just got a new set 2 months ago, 28 X 6.5-15.

My roadster runs mid 12's on 6.5 inch cheaters and hooks up really well. It's an automatic and I've got a ladder bar coil over suspension on the car that is set up for drag racing. I think anything faster than 12's especially with a 4 speed and your going to want a modern day wrinkle wall to get the most out of your combo.

I never balanced my current cheaters and my roadster drives just fine even at high speeds.

I've bought a quite a few pairs over the years, sometimes they do take a lot of weight to balance, but I've had the same problem with new Firestones too.

Gus

7. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

8. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

i run mine on the street, they are pretty nice! i love em!

mine didnt take too much to balance from what i can see on the wheels...

they seem to hook up a LOT better than firestone bias plys, thats all i can tell you, im not track bound (YET)

9. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

For the lunch crowd

10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Do they make fat Bias?? Looking for something around the Old G-60

And does anyone regularly abuse them??

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have a set they made for me from a brand new pair of Coker G78-15 tires. I also had them cut the dirt track thread for me.

Mine took very little weight to balance, drive incredibly well on the street (even in the rain), and have held up very well.

That said, my motor really over powers them... I can smoke them in any gear and can't launch it all... That's more of a suspension and "too much motor" problem though as I had similar experiences with modern slicks on the car.

12. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

I run the 30 x 10 x 15s with cheater grooves on 8.5 Torq Thrusts on the back of my '55 with 28 psi. I don't remember balancing being an issue. I love the look and so far no problems. Street driven only so far.

13. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

40 ounces?

Did you forget a decimal?

14. Muttley

Muttley

I hope so, two and a half pounds?!?!? There is no way that can be correct. :confused: :confused: :confused:

15. Maybe he poured 40oz. of malt liquor in there.

16. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

The only 40 oz of anything you'll find in my car is this, sucka:

[​IMG]

17. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I have a set of 8.20-15s that I bought from Ron Hurst before he/they sold the company to HotRodRubber. They were new Coker L78 casings recapped by Hurst. I have run them for about 8 years or so.
    They do not hook up like a modern slick or even drag radial does, but they are what they are-Recapped slicks-just like what everyone was running back in the early 60s.
    They get a little soft when doing a burn out, but again, not like a modern tire. They are more like the old Atlas Bucron tires.
    I have run them as low as 12psi and as high as 28psi. I seem to get a bettter footprint with 26-28psi.
    As far as taking 40oz of weight, I can believe it. I actually sent one of my tires back because it was calling for more than 30oz. I think they now take about 12-14oz each-that is correct, nearly a pound. I think the radial casings are usually a better quality than the bias ply casings and take less weight. I have no proof of this though.
    If you are buying them looking for the most traction available today-they are not for you. If you are buying them looking for more traction than a set of narrow bias ply tires-they are an improvement. just remember, Goodyear came out with the Bluestreaks for a reason...and M&H's days were numbered from then on.

18. Mine are 8" wide w/ street tread and I have no problems with ride or traction. I have good weight transfer to the rear and an adj. pinion snubber which plants the rear into the ground when hammered. They don't take more weight than norm, 30psi. When they get hot they get sticky!!
    That sounds cool.:D

19. Here is a Pic on my 48 Plym.

Attached Files:

20. Mine ran on two cars and still have tons of life left in them. Ran em at Mokan, hook up so-so like Ryan said. Looked like they were going to take a bunch of weight so I told the kid to leave it off and I would spin balence them on the car. He had an odd look on his face until I did a large smokey burnout across their parking lot......then he got the joke!

21. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

1. Have you run them on the strip and do they "hookup" ? Never been on the strip but I can smoke them through drive on the street.

2. Did you screw them to your rims? No

3. What air pressure did you run? 14 psi

4. Do they take allot of weight to balance? yes, It got to the point where I ripped all the weights off the wheels and run them without. Theres a little whoo-whooen going on at higher speeds on the highway but in town they are fine.

22. I actually have a set of Bucrons! I am wanting to use the Hurst tires for actually doing some dirt track time in my modified coupe. Keep the look but get some speed.

23. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

New Hurst tires are crap.... Need lot of weight for balance, Grip is shit...

what they save them is the LOOK...

[​IMG]

You want grip, Buy new slicks...

you want good tires, by goodyear or michelin etc...

you want the real look, save money, and take time to find old original hurst slicks...

I sold mine after 1 month...

24. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I got the 28 3/4" x 6 1/2" x 15" on 5" wide steel wheels on my 50 Ford, I could smoke the tires well into second gear with a 3 spd manual and 2.79 gears combined with those tall tires! I got a mildly built 351W in it. You HAVE TO warm them up really good for them to work! Also unlike drag radials and more modern slicks, they work better with the air pressure @ 30-35 believe it or not! I worked at a tire shop for over a year, years ago, so I did not even bother trying to balance tires that tall especially if they are re-caps! Speed balancing isnt as big of an issue in the rear as it is the front. Mine ride smooth if im just cruising, but at higher speeds (70 mph+ I do feel a little wobble nothing dramatic. Really my only complaint about I have about the slicks is that I couldnt get a wide white in the particular size I got. I'll have to paint them or something.
    Here is a pic of me getting a decent launch, compare it to how it sits normally in the other pic and that will give you a better idea of how they hook when warmed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. pkj

pkj

as far as 40 oz. goes, maybe i put my foot in my mouth. at the time i have the wheels and tires back in storage untill final paint is complete. i really thought it was about 40 oz. on one but could be wrong. but one thing i am sure of is the wieghts cover at least 1/3 or more of the rim. clip on weights on backside only. i am still happy with them, as i bought them for the look, not to hook up with. pkj

26. They really do dig excessive heat. I did a way-to-long burnout at a local show that had a pit setup for it. When I got done, and for some time afterward the rubber was TACKY, I mean real sticky.

27. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

My friend ran Radirs and Hurst slicks on his '30. Both performed about the same on the strip....in fact, I think his 60 foot only changed by 0.01 between the two. As suggested, they need a big burnout.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

28. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

how long have you had these... a long time as i can recall. about how many miles have you put on them? that should speak for their lifespan.

and IMHO they can not be beat in the style catagory

29. He is on a second set Cliff.

30. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

ahhh,

thanks, trent.

repeat customer... that says something, i guess.