Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hurst Pro-matic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Aug 30, 2020.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will be looking for a T350 shifter later in the year. Have read some threads on here and elsewhere. Key requirements are I can manually shift it safely, reverse lock out, neutral safety switch, gear indicator and would look OK in a late 60s style build.

Has anyone used a Hurts Pro-matic in an A coupe (or another A). If so did you use the standard length handle or the 'truck' version? They look kinda OK besides the plastic black box they sit on which could be changed I guess by used of a console or similar? If anyone has some ideas on how to change the look of the box I'd be keen to see them.

614LrtN2YbL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Just Gary likes this.
  2. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

looks more late 80s than late 60s......i would use a winters - still not a 60s look, but far better quality

Just Gary, egads and panhead_pete like this.
  3. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah I dont disagree re the look. Have struggled to find anything appropiate and dont want a T handle etc but need the features I mentioned :(

4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I agree with you on shifters!

It's hard to find a simple "working" shifter that actually performs as advertised.

Been trying to find one for my 727 auto.

panhead_pete likes this.

5. papajohn

papajohn

Had one on a powerglide in a 60 Chevy Biscayne about 30 yrs ago. Didn't care for the looks, and it was kind of clunky, but it worked awesome for downshifting the PG. Made the car more fun to drive.

panhead_pete likes this.
  6. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

I've got one in my '62 Holden wagon (see avatar picture) on a 327/TH350. The black plastic box is nothing fancy - easy to remove and replace (or cover in vinyl/carpet). It's just a slip cover, not structural. There are lots of mounting lugs on the shifter frame (which is structural) to attach your own console. The frame size is a little big for a rubber boot, but a leather/vinyl boot might just do it. The shiny chrome insert doesn't age well - lots of micro-scratches on mine from storage. Shift knob is easy enough to change out - standard UNC thread. The light bulb holder is OK, though needs an incandescent bulb - LED bulb won't throw enough light around to light is up enough. Shift pattern works nicely, and is notchy without being obnoxious.

Cheers,
    Harv

panhead_pete likes this.
  7. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cheers Fellas, appreciate the input

8. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

isn't it funny how threads are started just when you are in need of them. i just bought a mr gasket shifter for a truck i am building just before i got on here tonight. off the bay for 90 bucks. may have to make a longer handle for it though.

Just Gary and panhead_pete like this.
  9. Pete, I have the same requirements for my '28 Tudor build.
    Am leaning toward a Hurst V-Matic 3 but gotta admit like @ididntdoit1960 it looks a bit 80's Pro Street-ish.:oops:
    huu-3838530_xl.jpg
    @61cad any experience with the B&M 60 repro? It does look better.:cool:

panhead_pete likes this.
  10. Wow...I dig those imperial shifters

Just Gary likes this.
  11. (Spelling) Geni shifter.

12. Nope... My next project will need one.

Just Gary likes this.
  13. If you do get the Pro-Matic, the easiest thing to do is paint the chrome indicator cover and the plastic skirt to match the dashboard. The idea of a "console" in an A coupe jangles my sensibilities a little, but you might have something in mind that will look appropriate.
    The shift lever length depends on the height of the seat cushion. I'm not familiar with the Pro-Matic but if it uses a standard Hurst stick with the 7/8" hole spacing, you have a lot of options, including making your own stick with a more 'vintage' flavor.
    Just have fun with it. You can do and un-do the cover more than once until you are satisfied.

panhead_pete, X38 and Just Gary like this.