Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical hurst mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oliver westlund, Jan 20, 2019.

1. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

for those of you interested, i am working with a local fab shop who has a waterjet cnc on recreating the old hurst front mounts for y blocks and olds motors to mount to the flathead mounts. if interested in helping or getting one holler out!

2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

How much for a set for 324 Olds?

3. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

have to see what they cost to make. not doing it to get rich though, just want to help guys get their projects done

dana barlow and nochop like this.
  4. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

if i model them to fit my 47 ford mounts and my 394 will that cover all early olds applications?

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. F&J

F&J

Olds: You should make direct copies of the original dimensions & bends. Then there will be a very strong demand. There were some perfect copies selling on ebay years back, ...but as of a year ago when I last looked, they were no longer there.

6. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

If you would like to actually make a lil' profit I have a mint SBC one with the two pieces of flat stock that's always missing.. I would let ya borrow... Kool project

7. Budget36

Budget36

Somewhere I have a BBC into 35-40 Ford...be happy to let you borrow it

oliver westlund likes this.
  8. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

that would be awesome! thank you!

Hollywood-East likes this.
  9. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

that would be great! thanks!

10. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

thats what i want to do, that way they even look period correct for that kind of swap

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

At the point your ready to sell. Will you be using the name and or wording "Hurst"?

12. Or maybe stamp them with "OLLUND" or "VERWEST".........could even number them.

13. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

no, i dont want any copyright infringement suits or anything, not trying to step on their toes. we just NEED THESE haha

14. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

yeah, itd be cool to identify the ones we made in some way...create our own tiny scratch in hot rod history

15. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

might put our car club name on them or something

16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The BBC into the Tri-Five Chevrolet's would be something I'd be interested in. The Hurst saddle mount was what I first used in 1971, and I can't see any real improvements in over 40 years. OK, no fuel pump access, and a little firewall massaging was needed, but it was THE engine swap at the time. Everything worked out great. Now-a-days, it seems to involve 3/4 to 2 inch forward mounting, and then the headers don't fit. I was 19 years old, did all the work outside, and only had one person helping me (the guy who sold me the 396 BBC). Should be easy enough to duplicate the Hurst mounts. They come up on E-Bay from time-to time, but really, are they actually made of gold? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

17. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

im not going to do huge runs so my steel prices will be higher, i do think i can sell these for around 100-125 a piece and at least offhand i THINK thats a fair price, i have to get a quote on steel, what are they? 1/4"

18. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

19. Are you thinking about building the engine mount kit that allows a small block Chevy engine to be installed into a 55 - 57 T Bird ?
    (Oh , the heresy)

Oldmics

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Oh yeah! But, what about the frame mounts? There a price on it? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

All I can offer are these
    Hurst1.jpg Hurst2.jpg

Just Gary, gonzo, egads and 1 other person like this.
  22. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

sorry to disappoint but as of right now no

23. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

wow! awesome thanks! as of right now the focus is on applications involving putting desired ohv swaps where flattys used to reside. i had planned on y block and olds only (because thats what i need haha) but if enough of you are looking for chebby big and small mounts im game! i dont want to do a huge run with a lot of variables and wear out my welcome at the fab shop. i want to get templates for the flat pieces and crank out as many as i can then get out of their hair and weld em up, number or id them in some way and start taking orders. if we run out we can probably make more but i dont want to ask for too many favors back to back. i really need to get my hands on one of each we will be reproducing so i can get accurate measurements so anybody willing to loan one on a short term would be making a big difference. the reason i even thought to tackle this is that cnc can cleanly cut out a ton of flat parts identically and from what i have seen thats really 80% of the pieces of those front mounts. the curves are bends i will have to figure out

24. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I was thinking about making y-block to EF mounts a few years ago. I never followed through with it. I do have a Hurst y-block mount I can send you the dimensions on

25. 34Phil

34Phil

Car Craft had SBC dimensions in their T bucket book. I posted it years ago but will look tonight.
    scan0002.jpg scan0001.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  26. 34Phil

34Phil

Jegs and Summit sell Allstar 3/8" aluminum for $55. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  27. sdluck

sdluck

That is for a sprintcar front motor mount,not that it won't work.

28. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

please do!

29. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

okay i am starting to put together dimensions to enter into cad so anyone who has one theyll loan me or the dimensions, pls reach out via dm, thanks!

30. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

anybody have one for an olds?