Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hurst Indy Shifter without reverse lock-out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Adam F, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Adam F

Adam F

Hey Guys,
    I am running a Hurst Indy Shifter on my Saginaw which is behind my flathead...anyway, I obviously don't have the reverse lock-out that is usually fitted to the lever on the reverse gear.
    I have had the gears lock up on me a couple of times when I shift down to 2nd/1st etc.

I have adjusted the linkages as per the instructions but still get the occasional lockup.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? I have seen dudes install a sepearate reverse lever...anyone here done this?

Adam F

2. McGrath

McGrath

I have had a couple of "Indy" shifters and neither one of them had reverse lockout. As for the Jams, get used to it. The Indy's come with universal parts to fit just about every three speed tranny known to man. Because of that they aren't exactly precision shifters.

Everytime I tried to slam through the Gears, I would end up underneath the Vehicle un-sticking the linkage.

3. McGrath

McGrath

You could always do like the Dirt-Track guys and use a Two Lever set-up. I think Speedway offers them, but I know several people that have made their own.

One lever controls Reverse and first, the other controls second and third.