Register now to get rid of these ads!

History HURST - HISTORY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D. GLOVER, Apr 19, 2020.

1. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Would like to initiate this thread to feature Hurst history. This company, HURST - CAMPBELL has played an important part in our automotive interests, whether it is hot rods, customs, drag cars, or many other automotive applications. George Hurst started the legend around 1954, with motor mounts, bumper guards, and later shifters. As time went on, many other Hurst related products came about. Hurst created special vehicles, and had a great PR enthusiasm that kept our hobby going through the years. I met George Hurst in 1959, when our car club member in Phila. was searching for
    information to put a Hemi in a 1952 Ford. We heard that there is a guy in Abington, Pa that does engine conversions. We visited and gained valuable information. I was very impressed with the small operation, I kept a continued interest of his automotive business. In the next few years, I applied for a
    position in the engineering dept. In the spring of 1967, started working at Hurst - Campbell. It was a great place to work, many of the employees were gear heads. I worked on the development of Hurst / Olds, rescue tool, Super Shifter, many shifter applications, as well as other products. Left in 1976.
    Many of us could share our experiences about Hurst, Armed Forces Club, Hurst Aid services, and
    many other memories of this legacy.

2. 270283

The first piece of speed equipment I ever bought was a Foxcraft shifter for my '55 Chevy. Shortly thereafter I made my second speed equipment purchase, a Hurst S/L shifter from Walt Weney at S&W when it was a basement room behind the machine shop. Lesson learned. Save up and buy quality the first time. It"s actually less expensive.

3. Can you tell me when did Hurst switch from 3/8-24 (fine) to 3/8-16 (course) for their shifters and knobs?
    I've had people tell me 1965-ish and also as late as 1975-ish.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  4. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Hurst made t-handles and knobs in both size thds, up till 1984. Some of the "Indy", and "Mastershift"
    products, had 3/8-16 thds. When a change to different thds I do not know. I would guess it could have been 75 ish.
    All from memory, some files.

1Nimrod, Stogy and loudbang like this.

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

No Hurst story would be complete with out mentioning the Jaws of Life.

6. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Shift as hard as you want but don't break your arm...

1Nimrod, Deuces, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  7. Fordors

Fordors

62949C5C-D648-4938-960C-23A98153B161.jpeg
    One of the smaller pieces of Hurst history.

1Nimrod, chryslerfan55, enloe and 7 others like this.
  8. egads

egads

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  9. One of the first of the speed parts I ordered in 1959, was the Hurst, Olds into 1934 Ford front mount. I mail ordered the mounts, and some engine parts from either Vic Hubbard or McGurk out of LA.
    I had done a fair number of engine changes, but this was my first real big swap, where I was going to transplant engine, transmission, and rear end. The front mounts were instrumental in setting up a successful installation.
    With the exception of my Buick powered 47 Chev, which had a vertical gate unit, all my shifters have been Hurst. I started with a dual pattern Hurst 3 speed unit for my Cameo in 1967, followed by a couple of Competition Plus units.
    Every Hurst Product I used, exceeded my expectations.
    Bob

1Nimrod, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess were in for 50,000 or more pictures of Linda again.

Irish Mike likes this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

First brand new Hurst I bought was this Competution Plus "C" shifter for the T-10 in my 57 Chevy in 1971.
    This advertisement still makes me smile!

f7ab49b41a9f8e1e0a4e6471e438cd9a.jpg

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

13. deucemac

deucemac

I met George in 1977. By that time he had sold Hurst to Sunbeam Shave master and retired somewhat. He was contracted to promote what was really a hunk of junk diagnostic machine that Ford tried and gave up on in 1972. They chose my dealership to test it against how well I did the diagnostic inspections and dyno work for AAA club members. He came strolling in one morning and and started talking and somehow we got to talking about the Hurst parts I was using on my 39 Merc coupe. I said you sure like Hurst stuff. He said that was because he was George Hurst. I said sure you are and I am Queen Elizabeth! He dug a card out of his wallet and gave it to me and made me promise to not tell anyone about it. He was there two weeks and we became fast friends until his sad death years later. He told stories endlessly and with my typing skills, it would take months to retell them. I throughly enjoyed our time together and he gave me the entire history of Hurst from the time he was swapping engines in Lincoln Continentals for Navy brass in Philadelphia until he went public and sold the company. A fascinating and humble guy. I brought it an old 1960 Hot Rod with him on the cover and had him autograph it for me. He couldn't understand why anybody would want his autograph. I still have the magazine and treasure it, and my memories of time spent with George. R.I.P my friend. By the way those two weeks convinced him that the machine was as big a pile of junk as Ford found out in 1972 and told the company to pound sand and his name would not be used in any way to promote it.

14. The picture of Hemi under glass, reminded me of a youtube of Jay Leno getting an exciting ride.

Bob

15. What a great memory. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Bob

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’m glad you mentioned the rescue tool, known world wide as the “ Jaws of Life”! Our dept bought one of the early models, the one with the two cycle Chrysler engine that would rev and slow down and rev again! But it was suppose to do that! Or that’s what I was told. It’s still doing it today! Yes it’s still a back up unit! It came with the 32 inch Titanium jaws and the pillar cutter that you had to put in the jaws.
    As long as I was at the dept, we were Totally Hurst! I would not let any other rescue tool in! When I retired we had several units with the Honda’s various detachable tools, and the hydraulic splitter. They were just beginning to get the cordless ones when I left!
    I know you have been told that tool saved lives! Well I can testify our did! How many? Don’t know, but a lot over the years we have used that tool.
    Mr. Hurst and his team, made a difference in the world and saved countless lives! You, Mr. Glover, have a right to be proud!

Bones

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  17. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

That is from a time when America was great. A hard working man with an idea, working in a small shop or garage. Risking his money, making quality parts and solving a problem. Building not only a business but a reputation. How many CEOs today have built or installed the products they sell. How many have put their money on the line. They have no skin in the game. Is all about the bottom line. Who cares if the product is well made or fits right as long as they can make money. It seems like everything made today (parts, tools, etc) is not as good as is it once was. We hear it on the HAMB every day. With the technology we have today thing should be better. I guess I sound like my father, the good old days. I just admire guys like Hurst, Mr. Gasket. The list is long.

18. I just watched the 66 , 68, and 69 US Nationals and Hurst was a major part of the NHRA at that point..Hurst hats as far as you can see, and the support they sent to help racers...any racers was unreal..would love to find a sticker from the Hurst Support Team from that era...too bad the company is nothing like what it used to be...you were either a Hurst guy or a B&M guy...now they are one and the same...guess I should be happy the name lives on...I still like wearing my Hurst T shirts...but I’m shifting a B&M Quicksilver...
    CCFB4AFB-C54C-4BE3-95C4-F51DF99B4186.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I have heard that George started thinking about the rescue tools after seeing the amount of time it took to get Jerry Unser out of his car at Indy in 1959. I assume he must have had a big heart, as it seems mozt of the products and services were geared toward making life easier for folks.

1Nimrod, enloe, williebill and 5 others like this.
  20. isBought my first....not to go fast - but to get my trans shifting as the column was not a consideration on the Studie 3 speed....Mystery Shifter I think it was.....

1Nimrod, Stogy, warbird1 and 2 others like this.
  21. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

More Hurst History, info of a project, it was the redesign of the 3 speed demo stand that was distributed to
    the automotive parts stores, and speed shops, in early 60's. The unit was a steel welded together tubular stand.
    Two 3 spd transmissions were bolted the the frame, then a S/L shifter, and a M/S shifter were installed. A display
    panel was bolted to the back with silkscreened diagrams, and features. Potential customers could shift gears and get the feel of a Hurst shifter. Anyway, what we did was to re-engineer the stand, to a bolt together unit that could
    easily shipped to the retailers. I think they were painted a peacock blue. At the time we used GM 3 spd cast iron
    trans cases, with tail shaft. Along the way the source, local junk yards, were running out. I designed a replica 3 spd trans case, with special detents. Later it proved to be out of budget to get them made in a casting. I do not know if
    we stopped making these stands, or switched to a diff. trans, this was 1967. I am sure there are few around,
    especially with our HAMBers.
    D.Glover

22. 05f435aa2be84b9c06d1594a2228d505.jpg This photo courtesy of @Moriarity from the Hurst shifter thread

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hurst golden shifter award. These were awarded to class winners running Hurst shifters. This one is from the Indy 1962 nationals and was not given out.

64904339-F8DF-4CF9-B89E-7CCBD0CFE526.jpeg 42269639-E5B2-4C2C-8489-9C9C0C118D83.jpeg 776370D5-9274-4051-BFB1-A8959D80E396.jpeg 954F184F-C674-4975-A2A7-47ADCEDD2799.jpeg

dan31, Stock Racer, 1Nimrod and 26 others like this.
  24. I bought my dual pattern in the mid 60s, 10 years before I saw one of the Hurst shifter displays. I was an avid reader of HRM, had personal experience with low quality shifters, and was sold by the Hurst advertising. I didn't have access to speed shop at the time, and actually purchased it through Simpsons/Sears.
    I am almost certain, that the first time I had the opportunity to fool with a display unit, was 10 years later at CalVan in Vancouver BC.
    I still have the shifter, and the truck. The 3 spd was swapped out for an M21 and a Comp Plus shifter in 1971.
    Bob

25. saltracer219

saltracer219

You say that like it's a bad thing!

Gasser 57 and loudbang like this.
  26. Mystery Shifter. All that I could afford at the time. Did just fine despite all the crude comments made by friends at the time.

On Hurst and their warranties. 1970 I had a Muncie 4 speed lock up at 70-75 mph. The carnage was immense, broke the bellhousing, broke the main case, snapped the extension housing in two and dropped the driveshaft on I-96 not to mention the damage done to the floorpan when the driveshaft contacted it. After I started collecting parts I phoned Hurst, they referred me to a branch that they had in metro Detroit at that time. There they repaired it while I waited despite the shifter being the OEM, not an over the counter purchase. All at no charge. The gentleman who repaired it asked me how it got damaged, I told him the story, he was amused.

The gentleman who repaired it was Howard Masales, previously he raced one of Packer Pontiac's cars in the early 60's. Coincidence, about three months later I went to work for Packer Pontiac.

1Nimrod, chryslerfan55, enloe and 7 others like this.
  27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Kid, you know what I’m talking about!

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

I bought a mystery shifter after trying on on the display at a local speed parts shop. Really wanted the dual pattern but couldn't afford it LOL.

The Mystery shifted ok BUT with no handle stops only one of two 1-2 power shifts would wipe out the syncro rings on the 50s-60s Ford three speeds. With no stops it would allow the syncro rings to be forced too far onto the forcing cones and wipe the "thread" like lines on the inside of the rings.

And almost took the tip of my finger off taking it apart to build some stops. There is a wave spring inside next to the housing and when the guts were slid out. That spring is so sharp I didn't even know I had been cut until blood started getting all over the area.

First time I ever saw my tendons working in real time. :eek:

1Nimrod, chryslerfan55, Lepus and 6 others like this.
  29. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

RESCU-01.JPG More Hurst History
    "HURST-CAMPBELL", "HURST". is very well known for at least five distinctive product lines;
    motor mounts, shifters, wheels, Hurst / Olds, and the rescue tool.
    The rescue tool, project #644, later dubbed the "JAWS-OF-LIFE". The origin of this idea came from
    the offices of George and Bill, the exact date was not known. When I started working on this project, it was early 68.
    We hired additional people to accelerate the project along, the original idea was to have three hydraulic cylinders to
    extend, and close the arms of the unit. When we conceived all of the parts the unit would weigh, almost 200#. We thought of using the rescue vehicle power steering pump, as a hydraulic source. The idea would not be practical,
    if the rescue vehicle stalled the tool would lose all power. We then designed a separate power unit housed in a tubular
    frame, Brigg-Stratton gas engine, and an submerged pump in the hydraulic tank. It had quick disconnect hose fittings,
    the pump was controlled via a thumb type lever to open and close the arms. This was one of George's high visibility projects. As we progressed, the arms would have detachable hardened steel jaw pieces, a scissor cutting attachment, and provisions for clevis loops for a chain & hook arrangement. The original price was $2495.00, it seemed a lot back then. We indicated , that if you save one life this unit would pay for itself. As time went on we would buy a junk car, crush it, load it on a trailer and use it as a demo for visits to fire & rescue depts.
    I designed the original forged titanium arms for the concept. Also, created the alum hydraulic tank, and lid.
    Enclosed, dwg.

dan31, wheeldog57, 1Nimrod and 18 others like this.
  30. I've always had a strong bias towards Hurst products. Great quality and nothing comes close to it. Well worth the money.