Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hurst Dual Pattern with Synchro Lock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PackardV8, Dec 18, 2009.

1. PackardV8

PackardV8

Holiday Greetings, HAMBurgers,

I've got several Hurst shifters and am trying to remember what made the 3-speed Dual Pattern with Synchro Lock different from the regular Hurst Super Shifter. Did a search and didn't find anything on the net, so I came to the oracle of arcane rodder trivia. Do any HAMBurgers have the original Hurst literature, or even better, installation instructions?

And yes, the Hurst shifters from fifty years ago are better than those made these days.

thnx, jack vines

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

3. PackardV8

PackardV8

Is this a great forum or what? Thanks for a look at the brochure, and overnight to boot!

Does the brochure say how the adjustment from straight line to H-pattern is accomplished?

Now, I just have to find the heat-treated chrome molybdenum rods and some replacement nylon bushings to complete the install.

As I mentioned above, in the Hurst kits in the '60s are hell-for-stout. Example, the arms which bolt to the transmission are 3/16" plate, with just two holes in them, made to fit one specific transmission. Usually one arm is longer than the other, because the low-reverse slider has to move farther than the 2-3. The later kits have universal 1/8" plate arms with about eight holes in them.

Again, thanks for the help and keep it coming.

jack vines

1Nimrod likes this.
  4. If you pull the sheet metal dirt shield off the bottom of the shifter you'll see two roll pins. Remove one of the pins and you have a straight-line shifter. Pull to the left and back into Low, then release. The shifter handle goes back to center and then to go to second you just shove straight forward; WORKS BEAUTIFUL! Just remember that it works the same way in Reverse. Pull left and forward to reverse, but if you come straight back you're in High gear.

I still have the Hurst Syncro-Lock that I bought in '64 and put in my '57 Bel Air. When I took it out I put that roll pin back so I should be able to get you some pix as well. I just put all the parts back in the original box and stored it in the attic of my garage a couple of months ago. I'll drag it down over the weekend and see if the original instructions are still there. (Send me a PM Sunday if I haven't replied by then.)

And YES, the vintage units are head and shoulders above the new ones.

Oh, one more thing; forget the nylon bushings and use the hardened steel pieces.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
    1Nimrod likes this.

5. Well, I guess the memory isn't what I thought it was. I DIDN'T put the roll pin back in it afterall. And Sorry, but no instruction sheet. I did however get a few shots which should explain what made it a straight-line shifter.

Here's a side shot of the shifter mechanism.

[​IMG]

And a different view showing the dust/dirt shield. Just pop it out with a screwdriver.

[​IMG]

Without the bottom cover. (Excuse the dirt.)

[​IMG]

and with the lever pulled to the left (ready to go into low or reverse). You can see where the second roll pin fits. In this configuration it's a straight-line shifter.

[​IMG]

And here's the mounting bracket and rods.

[​IMG]

If you need any more pix just holler.

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. Church Key

Church Key

7. Church Key

Church Key

8. Church Key

Church Key

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

what a hoot....I love you guys that have this stuff available. Stuff I threw out as soon as the shifter was installed...dozens of times...

thanks

dj

10. 327 stude p.u

327 stude p.u

Good Morning fellow rodders, I also really appreciated the excellent info on the Hurst Dual Pattern W/Syncro Loc as I had just bought one from a guy & naturally no literature with it so timing was perfect. I'm changing my Stude back from a T.H 350 to a 3spd syncro as the auto is boring. Thanks for the great info

11. PackardV8

PackardV8

Now I've got a very early Hurst, removable shifter handle, marked "Hurst" only - no "Dual Pattern with Syncro/Loc. Questions:

1. How was the shifter handle installed, retained and removed on these early models? There are no bolts, as per the instructions above. The shifter handle pushes down into a slot.

2. Anyone have one? I need a photo of the early Syncro/Loc spring and latch. It's different than the later ones marked Dual Pattern.

3. Anyone have a parts unit so I could have a chance of duplicating the latch? Since Hurst has been sold so many times, the old parts are long gone.

jack vines