Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hurst dropped drag link kit??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CHOPMERC, Nov 12, 2007.

1. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

hey guys, i'm in the process of rebuilding my front suspension on my 51 Ford Victoria, and removed what i thought was an old time custom fabbed dropped drag link to clear my SBC oil pan...well i cleaned all the grime off of it, in preparation to cut the worn steering knuckle off of it and weld on a new one i cut from a new drag link i bought, and the dropped sections of the drag link have Hurst stamped into them....at first i thought someone made the drop from an old Hurst engine mount or something, but Hurst is stamped on both ends and both sides of the link, perfectly centered...

i thought that was cool as hell, since i never knew any such thing was actually manufactured...so, i guess i'm just looking for someone to confirm that Hurst made these and about when (my first guess is mid 60's), but I'd like to know for sure...THANKS, BOB

2. williebill

williebill

Seems like I remember seeing these in old magazine ads...Plus I remember an old how-to in an early mag,showing some of the roughest looking cuts and welds I've ever seen...EDIT....the bad looking piece was NOT the Hurst piece,it was the "home-made" one

3. knotheads

knotheads

a friend of mine had one on his 55 chevy...i think left over from an earlier 409 install with deep sump pan.

4. I've also got one hanging on the wall that was on a 55 Chevy with a 348/409. Nice item that solved a lot of problems.
    Max

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. joedoaks

joedoaks

. . remember Hurst advertising these in very early '60s . . . . only remember two(my memory is getting worse), one for '49-'51 Fords, and one for '52-'53 Fords; probably still have the advertising around somewhere. They did work, would think they'd still be available today, except for the Fat Man and Mustang II rack and pinion route people generally take today. My dad made a homemade one by welding the squatty 'U' to stock drag link, and then cutting out the center between the knuckles . . . . saw a N.O.S. '52-'53 model for sale on e-Bay a while back . . . . don't think it ever sold . . . . would like to get hold of the earlier '49-'51 model . . . there's got to be some rat-holed somewhere . . . Joe Doaks

6. I have one of the Hurst dropped centerlinks on my 57 too and like you when I first saw it I thought it was some shadetree engineering but it apparently is a store-bought piece with some nice welding.

7. chop32

chop32

A dropped center link came with my '49 Coupe in a box of parts.
    It was pretty grungy and I too thought it was a home made piece so I just stuck it on a shelf.
    A few years later I decided to clean it up and found that it was stamped HURST in a couple places.
    It had been painted red at one time, but Im not sure if they originally came that way.

8. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

Bob.... Do you still have the dropped center link for the Shoebox.... Im in need if you have it and want to sell..... Redoin the steerin in my Kustom.

Rich King (aka Rags)
    boonton nj

This is what Im lookin for.....
    [​IMG]

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I believe they were made for some of the mid 60's chevies too.. Seen one in a 64' and it was painted red can't verify that it was actually a hurst..

10. 1953 olds guy

1953 olds guy

Ive got one on my 51 Vicky and it was made by Ansen Eng.

11. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

cant you just use tie rod drop blocks? they give you a 2in drop on your drag link.

12. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

Snopeks.....
    Your makin me feel a little dumb here."Drop Blocks" can you explain further.. Im a little confused... I have been fooling around with shoebox fords for years and have always used dropped center links to get the clearance that I needed when installing a SBC .

Rich aka Rags

13. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

14. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

15. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

These appear to work with a Straight axle truck steering.... Dont think that they will work with Shoebox independent suspension

Rags To Richs

16. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Ya I missed the Independent front suspenshion part. My bad.