Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hurst Auto Stick I Shifter....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Oct 7, 2011.

1. I just won one of these shifters on e-Bay.. It seems like a very hi quality shifter.. I like it because it's gated and looks like a 4 speed...

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. I guess the board still is having some weird quarks.. If you hit the link the photos will come up..

3. squirrel

squirrel

1Nimrod likes this.
  4. jipp

jipp

cool shifter.
    chris.

5. I have good luck on e-Bay.. I paid $200 for it....

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Those used to be the shit when they first came out. Nickey installed them in all of their 427 Novas.

7. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Not sure what questions you have on it...but I do run one in my 55 Buick to operate a st400 and also one in the wifes 54 Chevy for the th350. I have a third that I am modifying for a 2004r that will go into the chevy. They work very nicely, have fully gated pattern, can be 'slam shifted' up through the gears. They take any common two bolt Hurst stick, and are easily adjusted. The bracket and the rod are what changes from each trans.

1Nimrod likes this.
  8. No questions Dual Quad, I just wanted to bull shit about it.. New toy and all... :)

I took it all apart and cleaned it all up..

I've been going through the gates with the shifter in my vise, wow is this a nice shifter! I like it better then the Jennie shifter I once had..

I wonder why Hurst doesn't bring this one back in a retro series..

1Nimrod likes this.
  9. Fellow I knew had one in a 56 Handyman with hot LT1. Gave him a T handle, just found the black shifter ball in a drawer. Used the black ones on the Yenko big block Novas. Got to be worth a couple bucks.

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

they are a real nice shifter. Not much demand for them though. B&M has a sort of similar unit but doesn't sell well I think they are a little over $250.
    Only drawback is that much like a 4spd shifter, sometimes the bench seat can get in the way and you need a horse shoe shaped handle.

11. monsterflake

monsterflake

they're very good shifters and work well, but the lack of a reverse lock-out killed 'em for drag racing.
    (pitts, you must be on double secret probation, your avatar is missing, it lists you as a 'guest' and your posts are 'n/a')

12. I don't know whats going on with that.. I think I've been a good boy..

13. 12bjoshu

12bjoshu
    from Kansas

Is that bracket one for a turbo 400? If so, if the shifter is still out of commission and not being used, could you maybe trace out the shape of the transmission specific bracket both the part that bolts on, and the piece welded onto it? I am trying to convert a van version of this so that I can use it in a 37 chevy truck I am building. Also, what length is the shift rod? the shift ear for the transmission should be something like 2.20 inches, IIRC, right? Thanks much, Josh.

1Nimrod likes this.

14. Its cool but not 200 bucks cool. Not trying to be mean its just not a 200 dollar shifter.

Other than price they are a very cool shifter and better than what they offer these days. A lot safer to use.

15. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I've sold and seen others (nice condition and complete) go for near $400.00. They really are pretty slick and no missed shifts either.

1Nimrod likes this.

16. Saw one new in the box @ the shriners a year ago for 75 bucks. Not to say that you cheated any one but they are not in the same relm as say an Ansen for a hydro, they just are not that rare.

You get what you can for one good on you. If someone will give you a grand for one then to them it is worth a grand. I know that they shift nice just when I see them they don't go that high.

17. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The buyer determined the price (ebay), kinda shocked me. I just found another NOS one recently for about a buck and a quarter that is most likely going in my dads faux Yenco. I usually just grab up the van/cable versions cheap and convert 'em over. They give more options as all I've found had a bolt on lever.

18. There are a lot of nice options to them. They are versatile to say the least.

I am pretty sure that you can still get parts and pieces for them from Hurst.

19. outlaw256

outlaw256

im with you on this one beaner,they are a fine shifter but to me they just aint a 200. shifter.hell for that matter they dont make a shifter worth 200.00 lol. im cheap.iveused those a few times. i think when they were new i gave 79. but then again model t sold for 289.00.lol

20. 40 ford guy

40 ford guy

had one in a 40 ford coupe for 30 years. works great!

1Nimrod likes this.