Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by enigma57, Sep 6, 2017.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Thanks yall, for the thoughts on grand daughter and her family. Now I've got to be concerned about all my friends in FL Tried to call my friend Captain Mullette, who lives in the Fl panhandle last night and got no answer, and I hope it's because he was enroute out of that area, cause it look s rough all over FL, but especially on West coast and panhandle.
    For myself, I'm halfway between Atlanta and Macon. Fore cast so far for here is winds of 60-70 mph and 4-6" rain. I'm on high ground and not worried about flooding here, but I also live in a neighborhood of huge trees which really do worry me.
    Just have to hope and pray for the best for everyone.

2. It's crunch time for the Florida gulf coast folks. I'm biting my fingernails because I have a brother in Nokomis, less than a mile from the beach, a daughter in Clearwater 250' from the water, and a 94 year old mom in Port Richey 5-ish miles in but thankfully on high ground, and another brother just east of Orlando getting a taste of the wind, too. I'm most worried about my daughter's place. High tide is 3:45 AM, just after the eye has passed over and the wind and surge swing around onshore. That can't be good.

My mom is hunkered down at home but my brother from Winter Springs (Orlando) drove over to either try to talk her into going back to his place or failing that, he was prepared to ride it out with her. My other brother and wife are in a shelter. My daughter and son-in-law are at my ex's place in Clearwater 5+ miles inland. I've been rotating phone calls between them all but the service has been a little spotty.

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

We still have power at 6 pm and the dish reception is spotty even after shrink wrapping the dish outside. It helped a bunch though to wrap it.
    We are supposed to get a Cat 1 between midnight and 6 am . The biggest worry now is tornadoes spun up by the circulation. We are under a watch until late tonight. The eye should come right over us on it's way north. So far just some wind and a lot of rain. Wind gusts are in the 30's now.

4. Reporting from the north end of Orlando at 6:15. Currently experiencing heavy wind and rain. Tornado warnings all over the place. Both houses boarded up, although this one has a second floor and I am upstairs. Retreating to bathroom under the staircase, if shit hits the fan. Truthfully a bit worried. I think the worst is yet to come. Coastal areas definitely worse place to be. Hot Rod friends all over the state. Everyone seems safe at this time. Glad the Oldsmobile is in my buddy's warehouse. Will keep y'all posted.

JT

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Ou Granddaughter is enrolled at a college course at the Dolphin Research Center in Grassy Key which sustained substantial damage from hurricane Irma. Her home in Big Pine Key was destroyed. She evacuated to Orlando to a friends parents house to ride out the storm. Thankfully the 27 dolphins at the Research Center remained in their lagoons and survived the destruction without being injured.

Gary

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. enigma57

enigma57

Gman0046 likes this.
  7. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Gary,
    Sorry to hear that. Hope the re-build goes smoothly. At least she's ok.
    Marcus...

Gman0046 likes this.
  8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Thanks for the kind thoughts for our Granddaughter. Her real concern is she had a full scholarship to the Dolphin Research Center which was shut down after she only attended classes for four days. She and only three others received a scholarship like that to study dolphins. Hopefully the Research Center can be reopened in the near future. The house is gone and the only belongings she could take were whatever she could fit in a Ford Focus along with a Labrador Retriever evacuating to Orlando.

Just woke up (now 2:54 AM) to check on the path of Irma and what effects it might have on our house in Panama City Beach. Fortunately looks like it might be just a lot of rain and winds up to 50 MPH. Looks as if we dodged a bullet. Thank God.

Gary

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  9. enigma57

enigma57

Something we don't think about much when these storms blow through.......

The fellow who lives across the street and one house down from my wife's Mom was attacked by a pack of 4 pit bulls this past Wednesday. They must have gotten loose when Hurricane Harvey blew through here.

Ken is close to my age (around 70) and has spent the past several years fighting cancer and dealing with other health issues. He didn't go to the ER right away and the following day, had septic shock and was taken to hospital, where he remains. And yes...... He is having to take rabies shots.

Ken is in a pretty bad way. Not sure yet if he will make it. Would appreciate your prayers on his behalf.

Best regards,

Harry

10. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from ct

11. raymay

raymay

My Daughter, Son-in-law and 3 Grandsons live near Lakeland the last few years. They chose to stay in their home making the best preparations they could along with great neighbors all week using the master bath in the center of the house as their safe spot. As the storm track changed they ended up right in its path. They lost power and called me during the night for updates. The boys slept through some of it. They are putting things back to normal and getting some much needed rest today. So far their reports of damage to their property is minimal. Prayers answered.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Thankfully Irma didn't directly hit Puerto Rico, so my parents boat survived without damage. That being said, some other sailers they know lost their boats, and a number of the caribbean islands are completely destroyed.
    Apparently, the mariner networks that my parents are associated with are reaching out to their members to coordinate help with repairs, so it seems my parents will be spending some time, starting in November, helping the island communities re-build. Really tragic to see how much damage was inflicted down there.

Stogy likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very unfortunate...thoughts to the fellow for a hopeful recovery.

14. It was definitely a wicked storm. So glad it's over. We finally got power last night, about 10pm. Still allot of neighborhoods, in Orlando, in the dark. Dodged a bullit, of having to go to a hotel with the wife and 2 dogs. City is a mess. Downed trees and power lines ALL over. These workers got their hands full. Spotty cell service, here at work in Winter Park.

OK, back to planning for the Dragstrip Riot. October 28th, is getting close.

JT