Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Hunting cool cars near Canton, MI.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clay Belt, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

As anyone who saw my last post hunting for my great-grandad’s cars knows, he is not doing so hot thanks to old age and Parkinson’s. Some of you may even know Harry from past shows, cruises, or other events. He doesn’t get out a whole lot, doesn’t move around a whole lot either since he can’t drive and can’t walk much, but he is a whole mother person when talking about cars or he sees cool ones. I can’t really see him much, let alone see him with my Thunderbird, from down here in the Clay Belt, so I want to try and arraign something for him to get him out and about every now and then in something cool like he used to. The man has seen it all, drove a 1950 Dodge when he graduated high school in 1954, was a CB in the Navy for a few years in Guam and Alaska, then worked for GM until he retired. Between when he left the Navy and when he sold his last car, a 1960 Jaguar saloon, he has owned some of everything at some point.

Now to cut to the chase. Is there anyone willing to drive out to Canton, MI, and take him cruising for a bit? Looking particularly at Woodward Dream Cruise in August, but ideally some sort of weekly drive could be arraigned with a rotation of H.A.M.B.ers to give him something to look forward to and make him light up every now and then. I talked with my great-grandmother, and she agrees with my idea. Any volunteers?

EDIT: apparently I didn’t make what I am looking for people for as clear as I thought. Woodward was a suggestion as to where to drive with him because him and I were supposed to go be going before I found out classes start the week before. Really I am looking for people who could take him for a drive in their cool cars, maybe just a drive, maybe to lunch, something to let him get out, reminisce, and keep his memories a little clearer. They always seem clearer when he has been talking about the past and cars.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Casey Riley likes this.
  2. Clay Belt, you might look into this event instead of Woodward:http://cruisinhines.com/
    Right in his backyard, less congestion, while cars do get traffic jammed, it moves better than Woodward. Grass, not pavement, you are not competing with soccer moms and their mini vans as NO traffic excepting for cruisers are allowed, must be 25 y/o and up.

I can't commit as I will probably be working that day, maybe some others here can or how about contacting the event sponsors to see if they can assist.

You are a good great grandson and I hope you can put it together.

3. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I certainly will look into that. Just want to hear him a little less dejected when we talk, figured this would be a good place to start

Sent from my VS500 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When my late grandad (9o)was living with my parents. We took him to the Goodguys show in Des Moines. Couldn`t leave him alone. He rode with me while we were there. My car has hydraulics. So I lowered the car and he was able to fall into the car. I would raise it up and he was able to slide out. It worked out pretty good. Sorry for being off topic.

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You are a very considerate great grandson. Best of luck in this quest. Older people who have lost their ability to get out and go on their own, really enjoy getting out, even moreso if given the opportunity (spellin') to choose where to go.

6. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Clarifying for the tired me who wrote this:

Woodward was a suggestion as to where to drive with him because him and I were supposed to go be going before I found out classes start the week before. Really I am looking for people who could take him for a drive in their cool cars, maybe just a drive, maybe to lunch, something to let him get out, reminisce, and keep his memories a little clearer. They always seem clearer when he has been talking about the past and cars.

7. butch27

butch27

I'm just down Ford rd. from there but I doubt he could get in the bucket.

8. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Unfortunately, I think you are right.

9. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Anyone else who would want to give this a shot come summer?