Register now to get rid of these ads!

hunnert car pileup quality of cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by airbag, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky77

Lucky77

I had a GREAT time as I've had for the last four years and I'm sure I'll have again next year. I was glad that fab32 and I got to personally thank Django after the meet and greet. The guy looked exhausted but he was still upbeat and took some time to shoot the breeze with us. Does the traffic suck? I guess so but it didn't affect me. I rolled in around 7:30 and got in line. When they opened the gates it probably took fifteen minutes to get to my spot.

Its a huge event, so don't show up at 9-10 o' clock then bitch about how long it takes to get in the gate. I left my spot around 4:30 and I was in the IHOP parking lot just down the road in less than twenty minutes. People start leaving the show pretty early usually around the time the meet and greet gets over. Stick around for a while. A lot of the cars that were parked out in the swamp started making their way to the main lot when spots started opening up.

Don't let the naysayers make up your mind if you haven't been there. Its one of the few cannot miss shows in the midwest and we're lucky to have it. Were there rat rods there? yup. Did I spend time checking them out or shooting pictures? Not a chance. It happens at every show and as I found out when I volunteered at Billetproof Detroit this year, there's not a lot you can do about it. Thank you so much to the Czars, support clubs, volunteeers and everyone else that makes this my favorite show of the year. See you in 2010!

2. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Czar's should've been charging extra for the "Bonneville Look" :D

I think the site is great, the event should stay exactly where it is and the vibe there is cool... if my opinion means anything to anyone. Maybe having some "off site" parking and a few shuttle buses wouldn't hurt but they'll get this all dialed in for 2010 I'm sure.

Here's my suggestion on the cars that don't make the cut... reserve a few rows just outside of the show in the parking lot for the cars that aren't allowed in for not meeting the criteria... let 'em have their own space. Hell... charge 'em $10. If they want to be "IN" the show maybe they'll try harder the next year. For the most part I agree with the sentiment... if you don't like it... keep on walkin' or put those cars in the "back forty"

Then again for every $20 they take in it's another $20 going to charity... and for those of you that didn't "get in"... they saved you $20 you could still donate. :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  3. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

I believe that 58 caddy had a "smokin" hot blond driving it...I think she never gets turned away...

4. That is what we started at the Shakedown. We called it our VIP parking area. It made a lot of people happy not to have to park with the minivans...and made the show better for the spectators, more cars to see. I am keeping it for 2010 and actually moving it on the grounds. Maybe they could park them all back behind the fence in back, or way in back by where the swap was...charge them full price.

5. CARLOS8A

CARLOS8A
    from waukegan

I was there this year and did see allot of the rat rods there!!! I guess that just gives me more of a reason to finish my car and bring it out and know that my car wont be the biggest pile there!!!! it is by far the best show in the midwest and its fun but those rat rod guys think its the best thing in the world and maybe they should be put in the far back of the grounds and keep the nicer cars up front.....like lucky77 said there where rat rods there and i spent no time looking at them i was embaressed to even walk by them but what ya gonna do.... o well i still had a blast on friday night!!!

6. oops, I guess that was a bit hypocritical,

Yeah, I need something to drive to the ghetto, and in the wintertime,

I've got less than $500 into it if that makes it any easier to swallow.

It's not like i've ever made a payment on it, or brought it to a show, i'd much rather drive my 50's chevys, or windowless cadillacs.

sometimes Toyotas happen...

7. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Gonna bitch? Go home.... - T-shirt logo on a host club volunteer that I saw at a car show some years ago.

8. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Chris 50 brought that up on the Czar board months ago. Since the ring of fire is gone... have the guys at the gate mention to any 'ratty' looking cars that there is a specific section for 'rat rods' in the center and they could park there if they wanted. I would think that anyone who purposely built a rat rod would jump at the chance to park in a 'special spot.'

It would make them feel special and as Chris said... it would still give us that element of danger the ring of fire did.

9. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

10. Not to jack this thread Cliffy... but I've heard nothing but rave reviews of the Shakedown on every level from my buddies that were there. Hopefully we'll have a few more cars coming next year... maybe I'll even have a "driver" by then if our old house sells and I can get the finances free'd up.

Just don't get "too big" :)

11. DeuceDog

DeuceDog
    from Breese, IL

Some people would bitch if they got hung with a new rope!

I'm sure the cops were contacted prior to the show regarding traffic control...they were right? Don't blame the police if they weren't.

DD
    DD

12. ewt2

ewt2

Great show!!! I can't wait 'til next year... The Czars rule!!!

13. Thanks!! The participants and spectators make my show the best, same as the pileup. I just make the flyers, website and set the date.

It was probably the Oliver Built group, right? They are my bestest PR people. They also contributed to our large beer bill from the weekend.

I was absolutely stunned when I ran into three different groups of people that came up to me and thanked me for turning them to the Pileup at my show. They were Hunnert virgins and found out about the show at the Shakedown. I felt so good that I was able to help their show grow a little. The pileup certainly helps my show grow. Who would have thought that they would grow from my little show? It just blew me away.

Thanks and hope to see ya in 2010!

14. Mac_55

Mac_55

Wellllllllll , I wasnt there , could not make it . But even if i did make it , you wouldnt here me whining . You guys got to attend one of the neatest shows for our cars , who cares if a couple made it through that were not up to your tastes , Like was said before , walk by .

I did make it to a local car show on saturday , ya wanna know what i got to look at ?

I walked past 3 new camaros , 6 new mustangs , a 94 chevy pickup . a bunch of new vettes an 07 superduty ford , a 98 dodge dakota , a 73 or 4 dodge charger , vw beetle , 87 chevy pickup , new challenger and a 32 glass coupe that looked like the afterbirth of boyd .

In the entire lineup i got to check out a sweet original 58 impala and a nice original 56 cheby hardtop,

Be glad for what you got to see ,

this is the crap i got to walk thorugh , i think i would have rather made the drive up there and shown up late and get turned away other than going to the show we had here.

How bout this crap ?????? Still wanna whine about what you had to look at ? ha ha ha
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. No nice cars?

Did anyone look at this car close? air cleaners, fuel log, plus much much more one off cool stuff. It looked like this guy cast a TON of his own parts for this car. Some really neat stuff I have never seen, had to be home made. It was one of my highlights of the show.

16. Mac_55

Mac_55

Thats AWSOME .

17. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

Traditional / Rat / Street - Rods...I appreciate them all...Good people, good music, good friends, good beer & good times. I spent the whole weekend for the second year in a row and I will be back again next year with a 31 plymouth 2 dr. sedan "Rat Rod" (with a blown 440)...

Attached Files:

18. truckdude1

truckdude1

Looks like it just came off the Bonneville Saltflats, or is that the Morris Mudflats? My driveway is now covered in Morris mud, at least most of it is off the truck.

19. bonechop113

bonechop113

Anyone read this? This is what is all about for me. We drove from mid michigan all day in the rain (some of us in roadsters) And not for one second did we wipe the childlike grin off our face.

20. truckdude1

truckdude1

Who comes up with the tags at the bottom? I'm laughing my ass off at them.

21. I hear they are charging by the pound next year. Weigh when you get in and when you get out.

I ran into Arlo and Capt'n Bob from WI Hot Rod Radio on Sunday at the Lion's Club show. Arlo had a really cool run of Morris Mud coming out of his gas tank door. There must have been a little bit in the filler door and it drained down the side after they left the car wash. It looked just like it was a paint run from gas running down the side of the car. They were talking about painting something permanent to keep the look. Pretty funny stuff. I told them to just clear coat over it.

22. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

Fuck ya, I took a picture of his bench bomber seat, that car is bad ass!!!!

23. AH, I forgot about that!!! I was so intrigued with the cool stuff on the engine I didn't spend much time on the interior. Does anyone have any closeups of this car??? The details made it sweet.

24. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

not sure but that breeder guy is mentioned alot!:eek::D

25. ChetHill

ChetHill
    from Milan Mi.

i dug the hell out of your pickup too ,very cool

26. bonechop113

bonechop113

Also i personally thought there was alot of quality machines there too- like the black coupe above. I couldnt get enough of that thing.

If you have such a problem with the garbage barge rods make fun of them with your buddies then forget about it. dont waste your time. The more attention you pay to them the more cool they feel about their contraption.

To lighten the mood and to mess with Our friend:
    Someone found where they were selling FAKE BULLETHOLE STICKERS
    we bought some of them and stuck them all over his shop truck. It was damn hilarious and i still dont think he found them all.

27. brokenpress

brokenpress
    from Chicago

wow. this thread back and forth.
    my 2nd HCPU and 1st with car.
    thought traditional hot rodding was about guys (and gals) doing shit to their ride for something different. and this show has really been about that, youve got some really clean finished rods and stuff thats 'on its way'. i dig that folks in the process can be apart of a thing put together by guys who just dig fucking cars. and donate all the dough to charity. its a good time not a some prima donna/ holier than thou contest. as for the rats again said here before- dont like it? not your thing? walk on by.

this car looks great to me. ive had mine 3months and have worked my ass off in the time i have between a job and a son. was proud to make it in. although i dont think its as good as others, and man we're there alot of great rides there- but its mine, my busted knuckles, my 3am nites, my bankrupt bank account... again- because its about folks digging old cars.

big thanks to the czars and the volunteers.

Attached Files:

28. My pickup?!?

If so thanks. Your gasser is still much more bad ass! 65express and this thing together in less than a month from almost all parts I had laying around the shop. We didn't spend a dime on it until about 10 days before the show. Thursday morning it had no bed, no front clip, no wiring, no brakes, no exhaust and the motor wasn't even fired. We fired it at 4:30 in the afternoon, I built the exhaust about 10:30pm, we drove it around the block about 1 am Friday morning and was in Morris by 2pm. I unfortunately had to trailer it, but if I would have had a couple more days to tweak on it and make sure it was good to go, I would have drove it down. The way it ran this past weekend, I am sure it would have made it. I wish I would have had time to letter it up. I tried to do it about 2:30am on Friday but my vinyl cutter was giving me problems and had to bail on the idea. It was a very fun project.

Attached Files:

29. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

this seat just stopped me in my tracks!!!!!:cool:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.