Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hunnert Car Pileup #7 Charities

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magnet, Jan 1, 2009.

1. magnet

magnet

The 7th Hunnert Car Pileup generated a considerable amount of donation money.

$25,000 to be exact.

It is an honor and a privilege to be part of the pileup.. to be able to do something to generate that much for charity... help out someone in need.. and all that comes from a good time.

As many of you may know, the Chrome Czars drive the event, but the clubs and people that help out really make the show what it is, i like to call them the pileup "Redshirts". Redshirts are the guys and gals standing out there directing traffic, selling t-shirts, working the gates, wearing the red pileup volunteer shirts.. giving 2 hours of their time to contribute to a successful event.
    The show maintains a cash reserve to be able to weather a storm.. something like a rain out or tornado or something.. truthfully.. a bad weather pileup would be the same as a good weather one.. just wetter :) but we would still have to pay the rentals and bands and all that. Our plan all along was to build the show to a point where it could sustain itself and donate the profits. Money taken into the show above an beyond the cash reserve and what is spent on the show itself, gets donated to charity.

Its hard to believe that 7 years ago the show started out at Marty and Sons in Sycamore.. and there wasn't even 100 cars. :)

2007 was the first year we were able to donate money, we ended up giving out $10,500. Its shocking that in one year we more than doubled that number.. $25,000.. i still cant believe it!

The Czars and D.W. pick some of their favorite charities and the money gets divided amongst them.

This year funds went to the following groups.

Ste. Jeanne d'Arc School
    Intrepid Fallen Hero's Fund
    UTI Foundation
    Disabled American Veterans
    Wisconsin Breast Cancer Coalition
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum
    Midwest Shelter for Homeless Veterans
    Chicago Boys & Girls Clubs
    Mooseheart High School Automotive Shop

Lets everyone give a big hand to our Redshirts and all the people that attend the event every year to make the pileup such a great show. If you see someone wearing a pileup volunteer shirt, shake their hand and tell them thanks.

You all Rock.

And remember.. the pileup is the second weekend in October, so in 2009.. its Saturday October 10th.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. Ebert

Ebert

Magnet,

Congrats to you and all of the Czars...job well done!!!!. I truly enjoy working as a "redshirt" every year and cannot wait until Oct 10!!!
    Ebert

3. Marcy

Marcy

Good on ya!
    Class act.
    Now when's the Hunnert MPH Drags???:p;)

Marcy

4. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

always a good time. more than happy to give up two hours, and then some, to the cause. it is amazing what you guys have put together. D.W. amazes me the most. how she keeps all us monkeys in line without beatin someone to death always impresses me.
    good job guys and thanks for lettin me get in the way.

5. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

This is a midwest show I want to attend, way to go with the charities, total class.

6. Ebert

Ebert

In now way meant to forget DW...what an awesome lady with some awesome organization skills. I have worked the front gate for the past two years...the fastest two hours of my year!!!! What you have guys done since I went to my first one at Marty & Sons!!!!! Hell, now my sons, brother-in-law from Denver, my great pal Tim from Iowa (who I met at the Hunnert years ago!) and I make it our #1 destination of the year!!!!

7. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thats awsome, you guys rule. Who would have thought all the good could come from all that beer.

8. Hellfish

Hellfish

you can hardly call it work when you love what you're doing. I'm glad we're able to give to some charities especially in these times when everyone is hurting. We wouldn't be able to do that without DW and the Red Shirts and all those that attend the show. Thanks!

9. bluestang67

bluestang67

Great show , great people and glad to see funds donated to a well deserved place . Salute to the clubs and will be back again next year . If it's only 2 hours to donate time and still see the event and the swap I am in for 2009 for a red shirt but I am not a club member yet .

10. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Very impressive.

Love the show and am really impressed with the donation to the charities. This kind of work speaks volumes to "civilian" people regarding guys and gals that dig old cars. Way to go.

Looking forward to October already!

11. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

A job well done again guys. Donating back to the communities shows what a class act the Czars are, you should be proud.

Bill

12. This year was my first Hunnert and what a great time I had. You guys do one heck of a job. I can't remember seeing an event being so well organized and fun and then to think the profits went to charity instead of some ones pocket makes it even better. CLASS ACT!!!
    Later,
    Dick

13. Lucky77

Lucky77

I've made the last three and without a doubt it's my favorite show and one I wait all year to attend. The Czars, support clubs, and all the volunteers deserve so much respect for the charitable work they do. $25,000 could buy a lot of hot rod parts but these guys give it to others in need. Commendable beyond words.

Can't wait till next year:D

14. sololobo

sololobo

Very impressive, I salute your wonderful help to such worthwhile causes!! Czars rule!! Your good karma has come full circle!! Nice work~Sololobo~

15. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

2009 will be my 4th pileup, always a great time and great people, can't wait till october!!!

16. Pretty cool that you guys are putting on such a great and popular show and doing good for the community at the same time...job well done

17. dynamic88

dynamic88
    from Chicago

Thanks again everyone... Really appreciate your volunteer efforts that make the show, and the charitable contributions, possible.

And Bluestang67, you don't need to be in a club to become a redshirt volunteer. Just check in with DW a couple months before the show to offer your services. Follow any updates here or on chromeczars.com message board.

Also -- if you're there on Laraway, you're also very close to Autobahn. Driving on that track rules! Django and I flogged some ex-Bondurant Mustangs there for 8 hours earlier this year as part of a work gig. :)

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Just repeating what's already been said... we could never do this show without all the help from the volunteers. THANK YOU.

19. bluestang67

bluestang67

I was there in Sept . for the Shelby club event . I seen the Bondurant cars was you in one that offered the ride on track as a raffle . That track rules for some nice stuff getting laps in . I go with my Mustang Club we hold a show there when the meet is on.

20. There's a reason us Vagabonds think the Czars are OK folks! That is truly impressive guys! Congrats.

21. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

You all ROCK!

I love me some Hunnert Car Pileup!

22. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

you guys rule!!!!! period!!!

23. Django

Django
    from Chicago

No, it was a Raybestos sponsored event in July. Good times!

24. ...everyone involved in any way with the Pileup should feel good about helping all these charities out. Great job everyone.

25. Thanks to the RedShirts for all of the help.

Thanks to the Czars for allowing me to be able to pick a charity even though I am not in the club. That meant a whole lot to me! And impressed my folks...

26. Django

Django
    from Chicago

27. Sign us up again for the swap meet in 2009

28. Congratulations to the Czars and their entire organization! This year was my sixth "Pile Up" and it never disappoints.

Sure is a great feeling to be able to provide so much to participants, spectators and benefiting charities. Way to go!

Joel

29. i had a great time worken the gate and am looking for to doing it again

30. magnet

magnet

For some reason i think of ribs when you say things like that rash... makes my mouth water.

Thanks for the kind words folks.. when you see a "Red Shirt" this summer.. be sure to buy 'em a beer.