Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hunnert Car Pileup 2010

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Oct 5, 2010.

1. cozee

cozee

View from about the middle of the show grounds, looking east...

[​IMG]

2. greaseguns

greaseguns

seen these there me likey

Attached Files:

• 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      File size:
      543.3 KB
      Views:
    • 032.jpg
      032.jpg
      File size:
      534.4 KB
      Views:
  3. gonmad

gonmad

from the official website:
    REALLY need to work on this more. The "gate keepers" didn't always go with what was on the site. Or just be more specific on the rules on the site. Alot of people drive a long way to go to the show. And then be turned away even tho they fit in the "rules" that were stated. Waaay to inconsistant on what was let in and what was kept out.

Pretty cool show tho. LOTS of good vendors!

4. Ohlly

Ohlly

great wheather, great cars but the new location just doesnt feel right, the show has got to big, Its not a must go for me any more its just a show & not The Show. I wish this show the best for years to come but I just didnt enjoy it as much as I did in years past.

5. That was a good time. Lots of nice cars and and plenty of food!

We just got back from Plowboy's after Pileup soirée. Fun!!!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  6. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Could not have said it better myself. My sentiments exactly.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a great event to go to. Great cars and it looks like great weather.

I'm liking it that I see more events that are just as much about driving your rod or custom to the event as they are about showing the same at the event.

8. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

That was very cool! Progress City however just lacked the "atmosphere" of the Grundy County Fairgrounds in my humble opinion. Felt too much like a "car show".

9. I noticed that myself at last years event.

10. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

We got home last nite and all my Dad & I could talk about was coming back next year!! The weather was hot and sunny, but it's October in Illinois and we all know whats coming soon, so we loved it!!! I cant say enough great theings about the Czars and the show, and the people of Decatur seemed to love having us there! This was my 2nd Pile-Up and my Pops first, but it will not be our last!! Sorry I missed the HAMB meet n greet, but I was doing my Red Shirt duties-which I will do again!! Great Show!!!!

11. lostinthe60s

lostinthe60s
    from Midwest

Same thoughts for me as well

12. von zipper

von zipper

It looks to me like the Goodguys Joliet show without the track! At least Grundy has trees for those hot days!

13. choprodz

choprodz

My fist Pile up was KILLER! Great time. Next year Im getting a room so it does not go by so quick. The people in Decatur and Clinton were nice and very hot rod friendly. Does anyone know of anything else this year?? Its gonna be cold soon but I would love to hit another get together. Whats left around Illinois or is that the last good event of the year???

14. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

I had a blast yesterday the atmosphere was great! The quality of cars this year was unbelieveable!The people were great to talk to it was super laid back and i won't miss the next one! Made it now for 6 years and this year was the best by far! We drove in in the Sweet n Low Merc and had the best time we have ever had at Hunnert. Thank You Czars for another great show!

15. greaseguns

greaseguns

Hope they work on signage next year. It was easy to find where the Rods go but wtf where do the street cars park!! I agree with others on what gets in and what dont,I seen lots of cool stuff that couldnt get in that should and then seen several glass rod s on the grounds !!!!! and JAP bikes!!!!NO TREES!!!!!!

16. Sooo tired of the "art cars". Fake petina and muratic rust...........When was fake cool?

17. birds are in trees and we all can agree on not liking bird$#!*, right?

18. sorry. its my only complaint. i loved the show and ive been there 7 times. the place is big enough to grow even bigger and i think it was well organized again.

19. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Maybe that's because IT IS A CARSHOW...

I was wondering when the complainers would show up.

20. Ohlly

Ohlly

I said this a few times when I was walking around, next year Ill go to the friday party & skip the show.

21. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Your average dopes take on the Hunnert:
    I drove in from Chi Town, got there about 8:15, Easy to find, no real long traffic jams, easy to park. Really super low entry fee, friendly folks at the gate. Positive.

I did not bring Petunia to the event, she would have been rejected, I find this sad and can see how a lot of guys who want to find their way in could be a little irritated by this, if there could have been a better sorting of cars that did not get in and the general spectator cars that could help, seems like this site could have room for the guys to do this, I would even pay a few extra bucks maybe a finner or a ten spot to help off set the cost of accommodating the ride, maybe a dialogue could be struck up in this regard. I did however pre sniff the situation so I left the old girl at home. An area to give some thoughts to.

The site was one of the best ever, a lot of guys may have other views, well ask your gal about the restrooms, hell ask me the plumber, they were absolutely the best facilities I have seen in a venue such as this, including any GG event I have been to, and yes I am an expert with a state license on the matter. The paving made it nice and kept irritants down, the stone in the concession area kept it tidy. The one thing that was lacking was shade, hey who would have known it would be 87 degrees on Oct 9 in Illinois? We were blessed with a fantastic day, if anything a few more tents like that giant white one by the bands would help to keep people cool and safe, I would also work with the food vendors on shading and seating for their venues, I found them to be a bit unprepared, some had 2 picnic tables or so, I would say that in the food area that if you put up a tent and had seating you would have sold the most food on that day. Over all this site was excellent, nothing a few tents could not handle. Honestly folks, there are only so many places to hold a shindig of this size, hope it found a home.

I found the general vendors to be a breath of fresh air at this show, a lot of small new start guys looking to carve a niche. Visited Ian and scored a flying eyeball pin, wife got a nice skool style hat, the guy with the metal shapes by the pound is a genius, scored a real cool metal spider that is going to be painted and fit on Pet's battery box. A good showing of used parts as well.

The food at this event was top notch, never been to a car show that ever had ribs as good as those of King Biscuit, I had 5, 2 rib samplers, wife only thinks I had 2, but I snuck back 3 times and had a lot of piggly sweet goodness, I sampled some treats from a few other food guys as well and you had none that would disappoint. Food was triple AAA plus. Yum.

Music, your music was good, the little Norwegian girl was cute, she had that accent when she spoke and then blamo off she went and sounds like she came out of Appalchia. The bands were great just not enough of it. This event was really quiet at times, I thought you guys would really rip it up on sound, even the wife says, I can't believe how sedate the noise is. I had ear plugs at the ready but never needed them. Maybe you could fill the silence with some good music of the type your bands were playing, set the vibe a little deeper.

This was a great event to watch people, the people at some events can be as entertaining as the show, this was a wonderful place to view the many different and artistic ways that people express themselves. This was by far one of the best behaved groups of people I have ever been among, the site was kept very clean, no car problems that I witnessed, no surly drunk guys that I saw. a first rate group of people at this show. Thank's to the Chrome Czars for a great Saturday experience, the Red Shirt Army for a fantastic service, The City of Decatur for a wonderful venue and the every man who brought out his automobile to proudly display, I had a great day. I will see you next year, Petunia or not.

22. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

I see some people comparing it to a Goodguys show. Man that hurts. It seems this show gets a lot of criticism every year. I thought it was great when it was in sycamore. The next couple after that was good too. The last few years were just not the same. I missed out this year. Wish i could have made it, but at least i spent some time in the 33 and worked on the A.

23. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Wasn't really complaining, just agreeing that the new site lacked the atmosphere of the old one. It still is better than anything else within driving distance because of the cars.

24. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Just Got home Im tired and sore and had a blast THANK YOU CHROME CZARS!!!

25. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Hey everyone, thanks for making this Pile Up a great one. We couldn't do it without the Red Shirt Army, and of course ALL OF YOU!

We discussed the choices of venue, sometimes openly with people. As with any show that grows over the years, there comes a time when the show can outgrow the venue. And you have to start looking around to solve the problems experienced with the old one. One of our primary concerns was getting you guys into the show (show car or spectator) quickly and safely. And without hassle. And, of course, when it came time to leave OUT. We all know how tired everyone can be after the show, and all you want to do is go back to the hotel/home and clean up.

Well, you aren't always able to have the ambiance at both venues. Progress city offered great access from the main roads, a place to stage everyone before, and the size to accommodate the show. But no real ambiance. So we found Clinton, as were able to offer ambiance at the pre and post parties. Unlike Morris, where the show had the ambiance and the pre/post parties were pretty much just a downtown street. We just try to do the best job we can.

I'm always pumped to read everyone's reactions. But at the same time those that bitch and complain are a real bummer. We try to adjust the show each year, and do our best to ensure that past criticisms are addressed.

For those that have criticisms about the morning inspections, I have this to say: VOLUNTEER! It's a delicate balance between inspections that really cover the rules in depth, keeping the line moving, and trying to ensure that no one overheats while waiting (both car and driver). My inspection team and I do our best. Every year there are cars we miss with some little bit of billet on them, or ones we reject that may have slipped through the year before but really did not pass per the rules. Having one gate and a staging area were supposed to help that. Someone suggested that the inspectors walk the staging area next year and start there. I think that's a great idea, and I'm going to talk it over at the next meeting.

For those that are just plain whiners. Tough. And welcome to the Pile Up. The show is a show where everyone is welcome. EXCEPT people that drop the hammer on their car when rejected only to endanger people (spectators, inspectors, and other drivers). Only had one this year. But we should never have any of that. You know who you are. Do everyone a favor, grow up or STAY HOME NEXT YEAR.

Thanks to everyone that came and had a good time. Know that you are part of something larger than just the Pile Up. Your attendance will help others in the forms of our donation to charity! Thanks EVERYONE!

26. yngrodder

yngrodder

I thought everything went really well, Hats off to all involved that made it happen as far as the people bitching about the change, I heard the same whining and crying when it was moved to Morris people said then that it lost its feel,

I thought the quality of cars that were there was probably the best it had been since the first couple of shows at Andys shop there was not a bunch of unsafe rusty cars most were Nice Traditional Cars.

If the biggest complaints are about the lack of trees I would call the show a success,

Again Job well done !!! Looking forward to next year wherever you decide to hold it,

27. My only complaint was getting into the show. Though, as was mentioned in hotrodchasis's post, I can volunteer next year and try to help alleviate that problem.

I had fun, and short of my car overheating on the way in, had the same fun I have at the pile up. And when you're trying to get a thousand cars critiqued and moved into where they need to be, there will be some blockage. It happens. I was pissed, but it happens.

Counting down until next year

28. Ohlly

Ohlly

nobody is complainig, this was a great show. its just my opinion that morris was better. i understand the move, last year was a mess, it took me 2 hrs to get out of there & this year was easy. maybe i like morris better because thats how i know the show just like when they moved to morris i bet a few didnt like it. if i go next year i will know what to expect. Im not trying to cut down the show, it was great & managed so much better then last year. if they said no alcohol some of you wouldnt like that. this is just my opinion, everybody has one nobody is right or wrong.

29. tdoty

tdoty

I thought it was a very well organized event! Easy to find and get into, lots of parking and the Red Shirt Army did an awesome job as well - very friendly bunch too!

Sure, there were some areas that could be improved (aren't there always) like the food vendor area/shade issue, but this was, really, a first year event for the venue and I don't think anyone's long-term forecast included 87-degree weather and sun.

My biggest complaint was not being able to find people, lol. I did run into a few of the metalshaping guys I know (Ron Lile and his bellytanker were hard to miss) and ran into Breeder in the building while he was in the middle of a conversation ("Bought her one this big" <------------>).

My hat's off to the Chrome Czars for an excellent show!

Tim D.

30. HFKND1

HFKND1
    from Peoria, IL

On behalf of the Bombers I would like to thank the Chrome Czars for asking us to play a small part in the show. Running the swap and car corral was everything the Czars said it would be.......LOL!!!!
    Just for the record we would be happy to do it again next year if need be.
    For some people change is hard and the fear of the unkown is some times overwhelming. The new digs give the show plenty of room to grow and enough area to make adjustments if needed.
    I love hearing negative comments from people who have never put on anything more than a pair of pants.
    Already counting down to next year!!!!!!!