Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hunnert Car Heads Up!!! Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, May 8, 2009.

1. Here is my 2nd pass. I wish I could have made a few more. This one was 11.8 @ 124mph
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V7GgAe1mdf8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V7GgAe1mdf8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. Thanks Paul...!

I agree with having the Safety equipment and wasn't going to run my car until it complies... and I'm only a cage and a pair of slicks away from NHRA Certification!

The rules are a bit more stringent for Roadsters... besides the mandatory seatbelts... Rollbars, neck brace,and arm restraints are required when running anything in the 12's... driveshaft loop, trans blanket as well as other requirements as speeds increase.

I brought my new Large fire suit, Arm Restraints, Neck Brace and XL Snell race helmet in case someone needed it to run their car... however by the time I got there many of the roadster contenders opted out of the race and just enjoyed the show.

I think the next time this event is held you'll see a bevy of Roadsters running legally down the track!;)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  3. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I know there were some people there that did not "get it" as well - but really - it is up to us to tell them what is up - not with attitude - but with hope that they will understand that we are just trying to capture some of the magic that was going down circa 1960

many of these guys lived through it the first time and dont realize the fascination that us guys under 40 have with that era

so when you hear the typical rat rod comment - just hold your breath - or try to say something positive........cause if we all blow our gaskets everytime some 65 year old dude comes up and says - I sure like this rat rod (looking at a '35 Ford 5 W coupe) - then we will all just get the reputation for having a bad attitude.....

I just say - well.......if this car had paint - do you think it would be a rat rod?

usually - they say - well if it was finished - it would be a nice car

that is all that really needs to be said in my opinion - hopefully they will get the message by thinking about what they are saying........then again - you look at all the cookie cutter cars from the NSRA show this weekend and you think there are a LOT of people that must think the same exact way..............

anyway - GREAT first event - I had a blast and it was super cool seeing these cars running down the track pushing 100 MPH or more

THAT is what its all about - running them

I hope that more cars will join in on the strip next year!

I got some video footage but doubt it will surface this year

seeya at the Hunnert

4. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

and wanted to Thank ALL the Chrome Czars for making this happen!

ya'll are great and I hope to seeya soon

(I may be coming over to Chicago in 2 weeks to take some photos of some Roth originals so I may drop off Vintage Torque 4 at the Hot Rod Chassis and Cycle)

THANKS again!

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

If you only knew how close to the truth this is. Keep in mind, this group was started by current track owner Dom Blasco. So if the shoe fits...

6. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I had a good time, even though the Henry J consistently ran like crap. My first run was the best, a 12.98. Went back to do some tuning to find out that I was only getting about 70% throttle. I wasn't able to adjust it, so I just figured I run it like that.

I'm still tryin to diagnose the problem, cause it ran a 14 somethin after that. I think I may have blown an intake gasket.

Jame's austin had more trouble to deal with. somethin hung up on his front suspension and bent his tie rod like a horse shoe while he was doin 135 mph. His front wheels looked like Marty Feldman's eyes

7. Hellfish

Hellfish

Mark, are you sure about those roadster rules? Because I saw a guy in a 4banger roadster run (23 seconds!) without a cage or any of that stuff, although he probably had a helmet.

How many cars on the HAMB run 12 seconds or under that would have to worry about those rules... that haven't already built them into the car?

8. ChicagoSlackers1

ChicagoSlackers1

Hear are sompe pics I snapped I loved that show and race it ruled
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ChicagoSlackers1

ChicagoSlackers1

10. ChicagoSlackers1

ChicagoSlackers1

alota cool rides were there
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. gotmark73

gotmark73

Love the pics, we went to the grove earlier this year, for legends of drag racing. It was a good time but this looks way cooler. Can't wait for hunnert this year to hear about next years plans.

12. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

For what its worth, Tudor Jeff is right. Byron is an IHRA track, easier to deal with and friendly management. Not knockin DaGrove, but for an event like this you may be happier at Byron. Know the owners well from racing our Outlaw Super Stock car there for the last 22 years. If I can help, let me know. Cool concept.

13. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Don't Forget Labor Day Weekend the 'Time Machine Nationals" it is usually really good.
    Vintage cars etc.

14. Great shots...!!!!

I'm positive because these were the issues that got me pulled from the track the first time and I obtained the rule book shortly after and have been diligently taking care of the issues... one by one.

There was a couple of us there... The blue 32 had a roll bar and a "Snotty" smallblock and he couldn't run it because he didn't have "arm restraints" another had a model T that had the same issue as well as an "Inadequate" rollbar height.

Funny thing is... you can rent the approved helmet at the track... but they don't carry the arm restraints required for "Roadsters" or "Open cars"... nor do they have any PPE such as the required "Firesuits".

So if you plan on running at a NHRA track you better do some shopping beforehand!;)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  15. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

thanks for all the great photos, chicagoslackers1

16. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Im the care taker of the red Austin. Ive been to a bunch of tracks all over the midwest and dagrove has to be the worst one out there. At about a 1000 ft mark my car hit a big dip and wiped out the whole front end!. It bent the drag link,axle,1 hair pin and broke both front steel braided brake lines, friction shock mount plus some other shit.....

Now for the good part Thank to the Czars for put in on such a cool event. I was nice to talk to old friends and some new ones. Besides hurting the Austin I had a good time. I hope the Czars will do this again but at a different track (Byron hoping).

I didnt realy care for most of the mwg guys there kinda stuck up. Most of there cars are low slung bracket/prostreet cars. There are afew cool cars.Bob it was nice to meet you I like your Willys. Im in the GeezerGassers maybe you could run with us? If your interested PM me and I can hook you up with the man thats incharge.

I had one of the mvg guys come up to me and tell me my car isnt a real deal gasser from back in the day. Plus if I wouldnt have used old parts to build the car it wouldnt have broke on me. I just told him in a nice way Leave please.

17. Hellfish

Hellfish

Actually, the Management at the Grove was really nice, very easy to deal with, and very excited to have us there. They bent over backwards to make this event happen (at no cost to us) despite having tried and failed at similar events many times in the past. They thought they'd be lucky if any cars showed up at all based on previous events, so they were thrilled with the turnout.

I really don't see the big deal with IHRA vs. NHRA rules, other than the roadster issues (and we'll have to look into that). I mean, how hard is it to wear long pants, have a double return spring, seat belts, lug nuts, and a catch can? You should have all that anyway! If you're running faster than 12 seconds, your car is probably equipped with a cage and all that anyway, but most of the cars there weren't that fast... more like 14s.

As for the track, James. I don't know. We'll look into it. I know they repaved the track a month or so ago, but there's obviously a problem somewhere.

18. 57wagon

57wagon

I must say that it really did turn out to be an awesome day,, Tow truck ride home for the wagon and everything :) Thanks to everyone for coming and making Numero Uno a success in my opinion :)

Raygun and I are setting up a meeting with the track to hash out the details for the tech area and will have that posted soon so we can all plan for next years event. One of the little things that I noticed that changed was the plastic oil pressure lines that come with almost all of the guages.. He wanted a steel, copper, or alum line instead.. Still let everyone of the guys who had that run and just asked to get it fixed before we came back. Simple enough and I can see their point.. Who wants to wait 30 minutes while they clean an oil slick down 1/4 mile of track..

I know a lot of the chigago wise guys were really complaining about the track earlier this summer which is why the closed for a week and tore the track down. This was my first trip out there since the track was re-done but will talk to them about our concerns, it's only been a few weeks since they re-opened after the paving.

Got some plans for making the wagoon a bit quicker for next year too... High 13's is the goal :)

19. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I'm still amazed by the yellow '55 that did this...

[​IMG]

20. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for everyone who came and had a great time. I was really glad that pretty much everyone realized this was the first event AND dealing with the track. So, there were bugs to be worked out. The Pile Up had the same thing, just different issues. Next year will be great, and much improved.

The "rat rod" issue is just people not having exposure to real hot rods. It's no biggie. I educated some folks at the track in a nice way, and they saw my point. I heard the guys in the tower saying it, and wanted to correct them, but I was helping in the staging lanes and walking the pits to make sure people were staging when we were up, so I just let it go. We'll make sure that doesn't happen next year.

The track has agreed we'll have our own event next year, so there should be no confusion with mixed events. The important thing this year was that everyone had fun, the track was impressed, and no one got hurt. Just like the Pile Up, our focus will always be the SAFE, FUN aspect.

Hellfish: IHRA vs. NHRA, boy is that a can of worms. Like the famous Hatfield vs. McCoy roust, no one will ever figure it out, and it's been going for years. NHRA is the reason IHRA even exists. And since the split, it's just been a Ford/Chevy thing ever since.

We have a tennative date of May 8th for the next Hunnert Car Heads Up. That's the SECOND SATURDAY in MAY. And, so far, that will always be the date weekend. Just like the Hunner Car Pile Up, only in MAY.

We're planning on putting up a small information web site, like the one for the Pile Up, as well as getting cards printed up with the show on one side, and some simple tech stuff on the other side that everyone can go home and make sure they have their car in order before getting to the track.

"Fish is right, it's pretty simple for those running slower than 12.99 (13.99 for Convertibles/Roadsters). Seat belts, long pants, catch can, roll up windows if you have them, door latchs that will stay shut, etc. I think even IHRA has the same rules.

We'll post tech on the site for those running 12.98 and faster.

And for those wondering, nothing will tell you where the weakest link in in your car/drive train like a nice sticky track.

Lastly, THANK YOU to everyone who came and had a good time! Also, we have some Hunnert Car Heads Up shirts left, and you can order them from the shop by giving us a call at 630.458.0808. Whatever is left, we'll have them at the Hot Rod Chassis booth at the Pile Up.

21. Ebert

Ebert

Kevin,

Congrats to you and the rest of the Czars...looks like you had a helluva event and sorry my sweaty ass could not be there!!!!

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Eric, you would have had the most fun of anyone! Maybe next year.

BIG THANKS to Marcy and oldsignbob for printing the shirts and stickers. I can not highly recommend these two enough!

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

YES!!

Wingnutz - those roadster rules are only for roadsters as fast as yours (under 13 seconds) and won't apply to most roadsters

24. Ebert

Ebert

Chad,

I know...I think I need to orphan a couple of kids so old dad can have some of HIS fun! Looks like a riot!!!!! BTW, your 55 wagon is looking BITCHIN!!!!!!! AWESOME!

THX
    Eric

25. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

funny thing about the 55 Chevy that tore out the wheel center...Matt is a fellow MWG and has been bugging me to find him a set of old school slots for his car. I don't think the new "knock offs" are built as strong as the wheels of yesteryear. He asked me again Sunday morning. I bet he is awaiting my call.

Fortunately, the damage was minimal.

26. ChicagoSlackers1

ChicagoSlackers1

No problem I still got a few more I gotta download

27. I couldn't believe Brians car got enough traction with these slicks to cause the driveshaft to fail!

Great seeing Bobwop's "Elephant" as well as this 55!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  28. sawbones

sawbones
    from dayton,oh

This is my first time on the HAMB. I just wanted to comment on the Hunnert Car Heads Up. Even though my throttle cable broke and I couldn't hit second gear consistently I had a great time! The track and the cars transported me back in time and the competition was great. Thanks for the good time. I plan on fixing my car and running up in Norwalk, OH at the Goodguys event. Hope to see you there.

PS - I'm the guy with the '31 Model A
    First run - 12.5
    Second run - 13.1 also broke my fan belt - no excuses

29. Hellfish

Hellfish

I'm glad you made it out and had 2 successful runs! We hope to make it to the Rt 42 Drags in OH again next year.

30. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Had a great time at The HCHU. Hope that you can bring this event back next year. It was good to see cool old iron being loud and proud, without the aid of turbos and nos. I certainly will talk up this event and try to encourage others to participate. Thanks again!