Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hunnert Car Heads Up!!! Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, May 8, 2009.

1. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

Awwwww Yeah!! That's right boys and girls, the Chrome Czars are PROUD to announce the First Annual "Hunnert Car Heads Up"!! We've had tons of requests for years about a drag racing event that would somehow tie in with the always popular Hunnert Car Pile Up. Like everyone knows, the Pile Up is a ton of work, and the event bleeding over into a two day event just wasn't in the cards.

We've talked for quite a while about having a drag racing event, and summer just seemed a better time to have one. So Jester got together with the World Famous Great Lakes Dragway folks and asked if we could tag along with another event for the first year, so we could see how the event would flow, what kind of attendance we could expect, as well as what kind of response we got from you guys.

So on August 9th, we're pairing up with another long time standard event at the Dragway. Racing will be in classes, and we will flip flop use of the track during the day with the other event. Obviously, if we get a large enough attendance, next year we'll be able to just schedule the track for the HCHU only.

Plans at this time are to have racing all day, with a few bands interspersed so you guys have something to do when we're not on the track and (hopefully) you're not wrenching on a busted car!

**As with the Hunnert Car Pile Up, all cars are restricted to PRE-1964 Hot Rods, Customs, Super Stock, A/FX, Gasser and FED style cars.

**ALL CARS MUST PASS NHRA TECH For ET/Time they plan to run. Please be aware, this IS and NHRA Track, so their rules apply.

All racing is "run whatcha brung", full on HEADS UP. So no belly achen, whinning, complaining, handicap crap. First guy to the other end without a red light off the line wins the round and moves on to the next one.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. A Boner

A Boner

Aug. 9th is "Louisville" weekend and also "Bonneville"..........Good luck, it sounds like a fun day, just on the wrong weekend.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  3. I might have to crash this party with the valiant. Are you sure you cant make it '66 and older?:D

4. Nitro Marty

Nitro Marty

COOL!!!!!!!
    I think I know my plans for that day now! :D

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

sign me up. shall I bring 2?

6. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

COOOOOL..........Rich

7. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

We don't make the rules Wingnutz. And we don't own the track, so we kinda have to go with what the owners say. I'm also not too sure there are too many roadsters around here that can do what yours can. :D

8. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Well, picking a weekend in the Summer anymore is pretty tough to find one that isn't already booked with something else. And since Louisville is in KY and Bonneville is in UT, and the HCHU is intended for those that can't travel 1,000 miles or more to go to an event. Otherwise, we'd all just go to the HAMB Drags!! :D :D

Plus, it's our first year. We just want to see what kind of response we get, as well as suggestions and comments for next year. The Pile Up wouldn't be what it is without those first few years of those making it that could, and those making suggestions and comments that did. Hopefully, this show will shape up in much the same way.:D

9. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Hey I think Cliffy and Krooser have a show in WI the saturday before so this might really turn into a great weekend. Show on sat. and race on sunday. I better go check on those dates. KOOL

10. Fuckin' A, Kevin! Best new event on the calendar since the Pileup itself. Kudos to you and the rest of the Czars.

11. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

this is the sunday after the skakedown?

damn, i'll still be sleepin it off

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

should be peaceful at the Grove that day:D

13. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Back to the drawing board for me & my 27 T RPU! Maybe next year. It sounds like a blast of an event!

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

considering the 200 or so mile one way haul down, the fact im gonna be up till all hours pissing people off who actually want to sleep and getting out of bed around noonish...

yea, it'll be pretty peaceful... lol

15. I know how hard it is to pick a weekend for a new show, we had the same problem. I don't think either show will be impacted. I feel sorry for anyone else who tries to put together a car event that weekend, they have some tough competition!!
    There may be a few people that won't make it down for your race because they are hung over from the Shakedown! We obiously are disappointed that you picked the same weekend as ours, but if you would like to come up for the weekend to promote your event with some banners and hand out flyers, we would welcome it. We have a surprising number of people preregistered. I am sure there will be a lot of people hitting the race on the way home on Sun. We should organize a cruise down from the Shakedown Sun Morning. We may have to check BAC before we let anyone leave Symco.

16. obiously you live in a box and haven't checked out our event!

17. I'm in, hopefully I will ave a place to stash the car before then.

18. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Great news! Since it's across the country, there's little chance I'll make it to this before I retire (25ish years), but I'm glad ya'll are doing it. I hope it gets a lot of guys and gals on the track that have never done it before.

I think its outstanding that a few more nostalgia drag events are popping up. It's way cooler to watch 'em fly by you through the 1/4 (or 1/8) than it is to have 'em just parked. Even more fun to take your own car down the track.

I hope there is a huge enough turnout that ya'll get your own day at the track next year, and for years to come. As first class as the Pileup seems to be, I'm sure the Heads Up will be a big success!

19. Sounds great! Are posters available?

20. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Im hoping to have a new motor in the Austin at that time if I do. Just keep a TOP ELIMINATOR spot for me ok Kevin.....

21. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Great idea guys. If you have any flyers, send me a few so I can promote it down here.

22. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Hmmm......Might have to get a set of slicks, and see if I can blow the rear axel up in my 55. :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

23. krooser

krooser

Nah... Zenor lives in his coupe....

24. We hope to make it also. We will have the Fiat at the Shakedown so we will just keep heading south. It looks like the Midwest Gassers will be there also. I am confirming it with Bob. If not, I can't run the Fiat.

25. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

unfortunately, our schedule is not finalized and the website is currently being revised. Rather embarrassing. My hunch is that we will be running, if not, perhaps enough of us Midwest Gassers will show up and we can just act like we are running. Easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission.

I ran with the MWG today. Miserable weather, slim crowd, small group of racers. Ran consistant 12.50's with the old 56.

26. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Well, we had limited choices since we are piggy backing onto another event for this first year, to gauge interest. If it goes well, everyone has a good time and think we should do it again, then we can get on the schedule early with our own dedicated weekend. It should work well, for the people heading back south from the Shakedown.

27. dynamic88

dynamic88
    from Chicago

Yeah, track availability really dictated the date. But we thought Sunday afternoon AFTER the Symco Shakedown would be a fun end to the weekend for folks on their way back home!

28. Marcy

Marcy

Cool!
    Grew up going to Great Lakes Dragaway and it still looks just about the same----perfect venue.

Marcy

29. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

will you be racing the Cummins powered Dodge? They were running them yesterday. Maybe a stop at Hucksdorf in Franksville and about $10000 will get you in the hunt!

30. Marcy

Marcy

ha ha I have some friends into that----mine's a work truck only.....but the Hudson has received a major horsepower increase and truck arm suspension so it might actually hook up---we'll see, lot's to do yet.

Marcy