Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Humoring the wife pays off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat47, May 2, 2018.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one would think that people who like old cars would like old everything. I am on a vintage bicycle forum, and 90% of the shots of bikes in the house show antique furniture and what not in the background.

I like everything old, except women.

2. Throw the other three in a tote of white vinegar for 3 or 4 days and you will have 3 more hose hanger covers.

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I've picked up a number of vintage body hammers at antique shops, usually get them for under $10.

4. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I have a friend near Kallispell Mt. that has an antique shop. He deals in a variety of old stuff and had a 52 Bellwood canned ham camper. He said he would trade for a few items I had. It is only; a 1000 mi. drive, so I hauled a load of old things I had, traded straight across, packed the bearings & put on a good set of wheels & tires. It trailered home with no problems. The stuff I had was mostly free or real cheap, he can put it in his shop & price it much higher than I could. We both made out.

5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

My wife and I go garage saleing every week ,I find a lot of stuff ,mostly to resell, but thats the way my cars get built.

wackdaddy likes this.
  6. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

Well guys, I've got the perfect wife. Let me explain.

Married 22 years #2 for us both. I gave her my Subaru Store as a wedding present, she promptly retired me . In 22 years she has now added 2 more stores and has incredibly increased our income, yes she is the consummate professional business woman. Now for the good stuff, she loves loud and fast. We have a car barn full of loud and fast toys. We also have early brass ear cars as well. Our collection runs from 1905 through 2006. for her 60th b/day I gave her a 1966 Shelby Cobra, for my 70th she found a fly yellow 348 Ferrari spider to go along with 2 other Ferrari's plus for her 65th b/day I found a 1 owner 1969 442 convertible. The collection is ever changing depending on what ever catches her eye.

Now for the very best part of the deal. I was forcibly retired by her a number of years ago. I do have a job, that is to make sure all our cars are at the ready and can be taken out at a moments notice. She has provided a complete machine shop and metal fab tools to restore and finish any of our projects. Oh, forgot to mention, I still get a pay check every week. This is to make sure I stay away from the businesses for another week. She loves swap meets and antique shops, and we never pass a garage sale.

Find the right woman, pay attention to her, make sure she's a happy camper, and all of the toys start and run at her beck and call, and believe me I do!!!!!!

just sayin'

brasscarguy

7. Fat 47.I love antiquing{you should see the inside of our cabin} LOL.You never know what you are going to find. I have found a lot of car stuff while doing it. I have a clock in my shop from the 50s from a school class room .They are most of the time $100.or more. We like to hit the junky shops so we can pick. I got the clock for $25.10 years and she still works. You know its old when it has the glass face plate like mine does.Bruce.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-5-15_4-25-59.png Vnak photo 2018
    Hello,
    When my wife actually listens to my old hot rod memories and conversations, then says, "Wow, that is cool...," it has somehow paid off to adjust to all of these years of being together. She has driven old hot rods whenever they were in our arsenal. But, they had to have A/C. These days, she is still in the game for ideas of household goods, designs, furniture, you name it and I still listen to all of it. If I happen to have "selective listening," that is unfortunate.

Then, she surprises me with a series of photos of old cars, hot rods, antiques, and texts of neat old houses, just to whet my appetite for more hot rod stuff. (I did not go to the event with her) Later on, during the afternoon, a few more photos appeared. This neat 55 Chevy, two door post was one of them. She must have been listening to one of my old high school hot rod stories.

This blue/white combo, 55 2 door post, Chevy reminded me of one of my friend’s high school hot rods. His was black where the blue paint is located. My friend’s car had a California Rake stance, with a 2 inch drop in the front. (similar Chrome wheels, yes, blackwalls, yes.) The small 265 SBC had chrome valve covers and accessory chrome knobs were on the dash and interior. It was the Chevy where we installed the floor shifter, that was made in our high school metal and auto shop. (after the installation, the big complaint was that the shifter lever and knob got in the way when activities took place at night. Ha!)

But, this blue/white 55 Chevy post model looked like it rolled off of the showroom floor except for the chrome wheels. (dealer installed or turned the stock whitewalls inside...) It fit right into the scheme of things as the photo background was in a neighborhood of homes built in the 40s and 50s. They were in the process of being upgraded and some were given the mid century modern look.

Jnaki
    These two door post 55 Chevy models were seen on our high school, cruising grounds more so than the two toned, 2 door Bel Air hardtops. But, that 265 SBC was powerful enough to ward off any Fords at the time, except for the centrifugal supercharged ones. It was fun cruising around in this 55 Chevy as there was plenty of room for a car load of teenagers. The neat thing was that my friend's Chevy had a custom, floor shifter to satisfy our drag racing, speed shifting practices, too.

Ron Funkhouser and catdad49 like this.
  9. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

Glad to see your gonna start on the shoebox it will be cool

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.