Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Humble beginnings... Lets see if I can finish this one...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Beau

Beau

2. Looking great! Personally, I would lower the radiator shell.... Especially since you're gonna channel the body. What are your plans for the windshield? Are you going to convert to a more roadster like windshield?
    keep up the great work!

3. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

In that outdoor side shot the body is in its final location, won't be channeled anymore than that. I've got the stock grill shell and stock radiator in there. The grill is a POS that I don't mind cutting. The radiator is in pretty good shape, but I did only buy it for the tanks. I'm on the fence about having it re-cored. The original plan was to find a reputable craftsman to add outlets for the flathead. I want to use original parts on this build, so buying an aftermarket radiator to fit the lowered shell isn't what I want to do.

The only way around not re-coring the radiator is to push it infront of the crossmember than drop it down (which would look like shit) or leave it be (which would probably also look like shit) I dunno, right now I'm open for suggestions.

I still haven't put a ton of thought into the windshield. I've contemplated the idea of just leaning those posts back a little and just have some glass cut to fit it. Seems like a typical problem for any hardtop turned roadster.

4. monc440

monc440

Joe

I can't even believe thats (at least part anyway) the same car I dropped off last year.

Great job and keep going.

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

This is bare- knuckle down in the ditch hot rodding........I love it:cool:. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to build a car this way. You start out like this and as your life progresses and you become more affuent you step to the easier (more expensive) way of doing things. The bad part is that you tend to forget that working two jobs, scrounging for parts and "making do" to get a project to the finish line really wasn't that bad after all. I'll be watching this one until it's finished.......................mainly because I've got a growing pile of parts that could be turned into something similar and maybe get to relive a portion of my youth as an old man.

Frank

6. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Richie Evans would be proud, nice project.

7. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Thank you Frank! That is the best compliment I've gotten so far.

You mentioned working two jobs to build a hot rod. That's actually why I haven't been making much progress on this as of late. I'm totally re-wiring a friends '37 Ford "streetrod" as a side job. Poor guy dumped a shit load of money on it, and didn't look under the dash until he got home. Talk about a rat nest... its amazing how someone could build a car using the most expensive parts on the market then be to cheap to buy a roll of wire, rather than splice together 4 different colored wires to go 3 feet.
    streetrods:rolleyes:

8. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

ssffnomad, when are you jokers making your pilgrimage out to the holy land?

9. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

OK, so when the weather changed and other priorities arose the hot rod was put off to the side. My desoto needed a motor swap before the season started, which evolved into an axle swap also, now I plan to rig the car to run an Ipod. Snowball effect.

anyways, enough bullshit back to the Ford. I've finally got my generator mounting issue squared away. I bought a "vintage Offy generator mount" from ebay for $25, turns out that they had listed it wrong in the description saying it was offset to the driverside.
    [​IMG]
    and when you take the picture looking at if from this side it looks like it would work just fine. t'aint the case, you have to flip it over to work in the channel on the intake. which as luck would have it will work on my engine.
    [​IMG]
    putting the generator directly above my distributor and have nothing but open space on the driverside wasn't appealing to me. Just seemed to cluttered. So a trip to the local machine shop was in order.
    [​IMG]
    All I said was "I need this on that side" while pointing to the area that slided up into the channel. A few days and $25 later I have my usable vintage part. So I got $50 in the part so far, could have bought the right one new for about $60 and saved all the hassle, but it would look like a new part and I'm not about the fake patina thang...

Your friend and mine Thunderbirdesq hooked me up with the generator mounting strap I needed. It came in today's mail. A quick rummage through the small drawers on my toolbox and I found an NOS brass door pin that fits the part perfectly. BAMN! generators done!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. monc440

monc440

Looks good.

11. cmarcus

cmarcus

Sweet work! Love seeing this come together.

12. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Thanks. Not much new to report. I sat in it today and drank a beer, but thats the most I've spent on it for a while. I'm kinda holding off until I get my '32 heavy back from Titus, that way I'll have a better Idea of how its going to sit. I also didn't want to mount my split wishbones until I got the axle in there.

Here is a pic of the gas tank I scratch built.
    [​IMG]

The frame is going to be the same white paint. The body is going to be a dark green. I am having a hard time deciding on what color to paint the '35 wire wheels.

13. monc440

monc440

Aren't all hot rod wheels posed tp be red? LOL

With the frame white and body green IMHO wheels the same as the body color would look nice.

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Oh man, some of you guys are making me look bad. I gotta get back on this.

[​IMG]

These are the tail lights I plan to tuck up under the rear between the body and crossmember.
    [​IMG]

Today I squared the body up on the frame and started to plan out where I'll be putting the body mounts. I couldn't really come up with anything I liked for the rear without using gaudy brackets. Then I remembered that I had this old bumper laying around.
    [​IMG]

The plan is to bolt it up in the stock location, heat and bend it upwards into the body then weld it in place. This way I'll get somewhat of a "stock" appearance, and it will add loads of strength to the body.
    [​IMG]

It may be easier to punch the rivets out and flip the arms upside down:confused: I'll get no sleep tonight cuz I'll be thinking about this one.

15. Cool build.

Walt

16. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

wow, I just re-read my last post about using the bumper brackets. Sounds like I said I was going to just bolt on the bumper and weld the body to it. NO! That would be nasty!

I cut the bumper apart and am only using the brackets that bolt to the rear crossmember. Then the plan is to heat and bend them to match the contour of the rear panel, then weld the rear panel to the flat stock. Also, ive decided not to just bolt the brackets to the frame without a bushing.

17. Squablow

Squablow

Looks good so far!

18. SJR

SJR

that is just so cool, any details on the tank build I want to do one, what do you seal the seams with? just mig weld it ? or?

19. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

SRJ. I see you allready found the thread, so I'll post it up for others that haven't seen it.

Note: this was for tech week, thats why it is packed with drama. Its ashame some people just gotta be dicks, this will be my last tech week I'll take part in.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800855

20. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

started the floors today.
    [​IMG]

Also cut and flipped the bumper brackets. Looks like it will serve as 4 body mount locations.
    [​IMG]

Just not enough time in the days anymore...

21. afaulk

afaulk

This old car thing is a sickness. You sir have a terminal case! I like it! :p

22. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

afaulk, I'm only doing what the voices tell me.

Can't finish my floors till I get my pedals in, can't get my pedals in until my body is bolted down and I have my steering box in, can't get my steering box in until I get one.....

Actually waiting on a pending Paypal transaction to clear so I can go buy another parts car. 1953 F100 up the road from my house. The plan is to scrounge the front brakes, steering box, shock mounts, and anything else worth keeping. Unfortunately the motor and tranny are long gone, supposedly it had a Merc flattie in it.

23. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Well I got the rear of the body mounted solid, still dicking with the front two body mounts.

That F100 I said I was going to buy..... he changed his mind, its no longer for sale. F&CK!!@! I was gonna make a killing on that truck for parts. Steering box, shock mounts, front brakes, seat base, and who knows what else.... The search continues.

I'm still trying to plan out the radiator. I know they had to use modified stock radiators back in the 40s and 50s. There was no BrassWorks, or '65 mustang radiators then! Finding a reputable radiator shop now days is getting tough...

24. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Been parts scrounging. I hit up the new swap meet today and stopped by a local yokal's house on the way home. He gave me a '53 F100 axle. So I got some backing plates and hubs.
    [​IMG]

Found some nice Deitz headlights at the swap, a flathead valve tool, and a VERY nice Model A front spring (I really don't like the SoCal spring, its the only thing thats not old parts)
    [​IMG]

Also, the MaleLady brought me a Mallory distributor thanks to Fedcospeed. Thanks again Jim!:)
    [​IMG]

25. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I went and reworked my new A sping
    [​IMG]

Reversed the main leaf, removed every other leaf, and radiused the remaining springs. Looks much better.
    [​IMG]

26. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Making good progress, but lately haven't stopped to take pictures.

I got my axle from Titus. its installed but no tie rod yet. Got all 4 new rubbers mounted. Which means that its time to roll it outside for a side profile. Tomorrow looks like a good day to do that.

I plan to take this car to the Syracuse Nat's this weekend. Trailer it out just to show it off, still no where near running.

Oh, and that spring pictured above... I took too many leafs out (or is proper English Leaves?) I added one leaf today and I think I cured the bottoming out problem.

Pics tomorrow, I promise

27. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

You better take a beach umbrella to ward off dem 92+ degree sunrays. What parking area are ya hoping for? 6 thousand + cars you’ll be hard to find.

28. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I'll be in the Old Skool Round Up. under the pavilion.

29. I'm late getting to the party,I guess my invitation got lost!:D

I just went through the entire thread and gotta say you are doing a good job making a silk purse outta a sows ear!:D HRP

30. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

HRP, tell your friends. Everybodies invited!

As promised heres the pics as of 4pm today.

Drop '32 axle
    [​IMG]

Tail lights and wood body mount installed
    [​IMG]

Seat base partially done
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

part of rear floor all rusted because of the ridiculously high humidity
    [​IMG]

roll out with new tires and drop axle installed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

before anyone says it, The radiator and grill still need to be sectioned 2 1/2 inches. I know...

If all goes well by this time tomorrow I'll have the rear floor finished and two new doors made.