Register now to get rid of these ads!

Huge favor to ask from fellow hambers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpDDmN, Aug 21, 2008.

1. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

Hi there.Most of you will by now know of the period-correct build I'm busy with("Low N Mean" '39 Ford pick-up).
    Now,I've got a huge favor to ask from all fellow Hambers:

I want you to help me with any old info of hotrod vehicles done pre '50's.
    If you can please help me out & post info or pics with your name(for when the vehicle will be featured in our local magazine,if you give me the right to use your name & info)

So,this is a huge favor I'm asking,please can you help me?!
    Thanx
    Jannie

Attached Files:

2. yblock292

yblock292

My roadster in the pic ( my avatar ) was build in eagle point mo. around 1955. Could e-mail you pics of it. 1929 on original 32 frame 46 flathead.

3. 31whitey

31whitey

you want pre-1950 cars?
    or
    pre-1950 builds....40,s style?
    judging by your pic Im guessing pre-50,s cars
    cause
    that sure aint 40,s style man

4. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

Pre '50's builds.Thanx hey.Also,if you wanna,email me: [email protected]
    Thanx again.

5. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

Look at it like this;imagine being in the late '40's early '50's & building a hotrod from a '39 Ford pick-up(which is only about 10yrs old then).See where I'm going with this?
    Thanx again in advance for all :)

6. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

I'm looking for any type of info or pics from those days,even cars still around today.
    I wanna see what the guys from back then did & how they did it.Thanx J

7. Crankhole

Crankhole

I've got to believe most '39 pickups were still on farms in the '40s. That was when trucks were used for the purpose they were built.

8. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

Ok,you're right....but.....what would a pick-up look like if made into a hotrod back then???I wanna see what folks did to their rides & engines back then...remember,I'm going for period correct.

9. BarryA

BarryA

Read the "bobber" truck threads Jannie.
    Most agree this kind of thing wouldn't have been seen back then. I seem to recall one or two mentions of a fenderless truck or two having been around back then, but haven't followed the "discussion" for a while.....
    Barry

10. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

This is what I'm after,info about cars from those days.
    All these were taken around the 1950's

pics from Street Rodder Magazine may 2002

Attached Files:

11. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i believe a 39 ford pick-up would have pretty much been bone stock through the 40's
    reason being, nothing was considered a hot rod except roadsters.
    the 39 truck had the 24 stud motor, juice brakes, and a good solid transmission

i could see a bit newer engine or maybe and extra carburetor to help pull a load?
    the 39's were one of the ugly ducklings that ford produced, 40 going to a much more appealing body style, and even then i dont think anyone was modifying the 40 trucks either,

I'd letter it up like a shop truck and put a push bumper on the front and call it a day
    Zach

12. I started building a "Hotrod" in 1950(32 5-w)A pickup was a pickup,not a hotrod...
    Never saw one as a hotrod in those days........

13. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

think open roadsters...the only closed coupe hot rods before the late '40's and 1950's were cars that ran in the Russetta Timing Association. never pickups unless it was a roadster pickup like Larry Shinoda's '29 AV8
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  14. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

That's more what I'm talking about.Nevermind the fact that there were very few pick-up hotrods back then,I just wanna see what they did to the cars,how they build them,motors etc.Forget the fact that I'm building a '39 pick-up(that's just what I wanna build),let's see the cars from back then,any info you have or pics.Thanx a Million. Jannie

15. Buy all or any of the Don Mongomery books, they're full of 'em and he's good with the details as well.

16. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I'll second that on the Don Mongomery books.
    more information that you ever think you need.

jim h

17. johnrockin

johnrockin
    BANNED
    from midwest

dittio on the books. "the birth of hotrodding" is a good one for pre 50s cars.

this is one of my grandfathers friends joe stupar from north chicago. but this was a stock car/dirt racer more then a hotrod...
    [​IMG]

found this on ebay a while ago, almost got it. was a 38? caddy flathead it was only a few years that they made that particular flathead.
    [​IMG]

one of the HAMBers cars... i forget who. hope hes not mad im posting this.
    [​IMG]
    more
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

WoW!I know those flatheads,once restored a LA SALLE,same motor.very cool.
    Now you see this what I'm on about,where hotrodding started,stockcars,lakesracers etc.
    My dad's 31 chevy is where it all started for me(the one he build back in 64)......
    Let's see 'em pics & info!!!Cool Beans :D

19. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

You might try searching Google images... I like the idea of a pickup done in that style. Thinkin' outside the box a little!

20. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

the pic above is ThomasS&C's #207 and my #44c cars
    Zach

21. I have some pictures in my gallery of my Model A 5 window which I corrected to be '50's period correct as I remember when I grew up id St. Louis, you're welcom th use any of those shots. The race seens are from a pro photo shoot for a poster about the history of street racing, the guy wanted period correct cars for the '50's.