Register now to get rid of these ads!

Huge dilemma on a trade I need your advise!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LEECOUNTYRODS, Mar 11, 2008.

1. LEECOUNTYRODS

LEECOUNTYRODS
    from Dixon, IL

Ok, in a recent thread, I told everyone I obtained a 1960 Gasser. Well, its true, I have an offer of a 1960 Gasser Falon for my 2006 Chopper. To give you an idea of the trade, I have a guy who has a 1960 Falcon Gasser with the following info:

This Gasser: has a 355ci chevrolet motor with double hump heads, 2.02-1.60 valves, ported and polished Comp Cam roller rocker arms, Saturday Night Special Comp Cam, double timing chain, nostalgic Holley 750cfm double pumper carb, 1953 Henry J radiator, Honest Charley Super T10 transmission, IHRA/NHRA certified bell housing. Also sports a 12 bolt rear end and the body is all steel. It needs NOTHING. New brakes, new tires etc...

My Chopper: First, it was built from a guy in NC who worked for Choppers INC. My bike looks VERY simplistic as there isn’t a horn, turning signals, even a Speedo as this is the way most of Billy Lane bikes are. This bike has a 3 inch outer primary, estimate miles are less then 2000 on everything. I am running a new Harley evo engine with a jockey shifter 5 speed Rev Tech Trans ( kick start only). I have all the paperwork on this bike showing the beginnings of the build. Nothing is cheap on this bike and a lot of parts are custom made that no one else has. The bike has a 230 tire. High quality components from Billy’s shop.

I LOVE both choppers and Rods. What do you think? I want to make sure I am getting a far deal. What will go up in value? I know, its whatever I feel is fair but sometimes getting opinions from others helps. Since I do love both equally, its hard. Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

The car will go up in value... the bike will go down... I have built lots O' cars and Bikes... When it comes down to trades... BOTH parties thinking it was a fair trade is all that matters... unless you are going to break down every penny spent and time int them... Jason.

3. LEECOUNTYRODS

LEECOUNTYRODS
    from Dixon, IL

Thats what I think also. The guy seems pretty straight shooter. He does have information on the car. It used to be an old drag car in the 60s and 70s. One owner car. It was then stored in a garge until 2000 and brought back out for some Nostalgic drags, one being in Tn.

4. Low

Low

Get the Falcon.

5. belair

belair

Keep the bike and build a car. Are you hot for a Falcon? Or just tired of the bike? I don't see that car going up in value. Just cause it's a good deal, is it a good deal for you? Is either one going to be your daily driver?

6. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

It is a car with drag history.. Even if it is minor... The bike only has history of sweaty butt crack on short rides... I still think it will go up in value... Get the car.. Jason

7. I completely agree...make the trade...in a few more years you'll be able to re-buy yourself a nice chopper or a similar one for 50 cents on the dollar from some poser R.U.B. that bought themselves a 'me-too' chopper that they saw on television....Once a lot of these folks become a little older and decide to part with their scooter, you'll be able to pick it up for a song...and you'll still have the Gasser to boot.

R.U.B.? What's that you ask?...a R.U.B. is a Rich Urban Biker...sorry dudes and dudettes, $15,000 and 15 mile round-trip rides to the ice cream stand does not make you an Outlaw nor a Badass...you know the ones, you've seen them around with their shiny new everything from the Harley Motorclothes Collection trying to look all BAAAAAAAAAAAD parked curbside at the Starbucks or local French bakery eating a croissant...I can see it now...Just then LeeCountyRods pulls up in his rompin' and stompin' Falcon Gasser and all the R.U.B.s run home crying to momma about the mean old man in the noisy old race car....Now that would be poetic justice!!

8. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

I think you could sell the bike, and buy alot more car that what is being offered, IMHO.

9. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

i used to build and own choppers in the 70's and your bike is 100%. i can't say that for the falcon. i don't like the looks of the front axle (what is it out of?) the rear wheels weren't cut out right, it needs alot of cosmetics in the interior and some fender exit headers. i just feel dollor for dollor your bike is worth more. just my 2 cents. good luck

10. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i say keep the bike. falcons are really inexpensive and the parts he listed are run of the mill speed stuff nothing really outstanding, and it has no history. i personally would steer away from the transmission myself i bet if i had it for a day i would kill it. super T-10's are a dime a dozen and they break really easy unless you buy the high dollar ones. (even then we went through 4 of them last season) go buy you a car and keep the bike. you can play on the bike while you build what you want.

11. wvenfield

wvenfield

I agree with Sutton. I think you could sell the bike and build a better car than that. If the car has real verified history, that may indeed be worth something. I'd still think it would have to have more than Joe Neighbor ran it at the local drags now and then.

I also think that if you are happy with the trade then it's a good trade.

12. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can't afford both, which do you want more? You obviously don't do much with the bike since it only has less 2000 miles. It won't sell for near what it cost to build so if you can get a good trade for it you're probably better off.

13. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Here is food for thought.

Which one would fetch more $ on Ebay.

A Ford Falcon or a Choppers Inc Bike........Hmmm

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dump that bike, get the car. Easy.

15. beernut

beernut
    from solvang

i would keep the bike,look for a falcon to build (if thats what you want to drive)i have seen good deals on lots of different cars right now,and finding a running 60's car shouldnt be to hard,then its cut the wheelwells and gasser time,besides you could always redo the bike to change the style of it and have a bitchen combo,bobber bike,and gasser

16. gear27

gear27

I think the falcon owner might have to give you some cash with this deal as you don't see too many falcon fetching big bucks..
    I also look at it this way do you want to be stuck with something you can't get rid off? Thats not to say I don't like falcons I just think there still fairly cheap in the antique car market!!

17. Muttley

Muttley

Do it before the guy with the Falcon comes to senses.

18. Prolly wouldn't get as much kidney damage in the Falcon
    Swap it:)

19. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

Falcon. No doubt

20. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Keep the bike build a hot rod.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These guys want you to swap a bike worth somewhere between 15 and 20K for a maybe 5k Falcon on a good day? I just don't see any real money or dollar value in the Falcon outside of the engine. trans and rear. If you wagged the Falcon to one of the major swap meets on either coast I don't think it would bring much over 5000 if that. There just isn't anything there except the engine and trans and that is all too easy to duplicate. I'd say he needs to pony up about 10K difference. With no racing history to speak of the Falcon doesn't have a lot going for it exept it looks like an old gasser.

I know some of the guys who wet their pants over the car above will woop on me for that but reality is reality.

22. TyAtkinson

TyAtkinson

What kind of money do you have in the bike?

Im thinking if you trade the guy getting your bike just made quite a bit of cash off you.

23. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

If you just want a FALCON gasser, do it...but Falcon gassers can be had cheap..That one does not look like a good deal. Not enough engine or chassis. Poor choice for an axle and as others have said, the quarters are screwed up...you can build that car for a lot less money than the bike is worth.. Not to step on any toes here, but other than the 64/5 Falcons that were run by Hubert Platt, etc...the earlier Falcons never were. We have a couple of 64 and 65 Falcons here..one is being converted to Altered wheel base F/X racing in NSS. Sell the bike and build something that will be worth more later on.
    Mark.

24. I agree, bikes have been and are on their way out. All these "fads" go in cycles and the bike one is dying. Now 10 years, it will be back, but for now,,,,,,,,

25. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

What I see is a bike that is worth at least $5K over the Falcon. Taking a supreme reamin' on that deal.

26. TOYBOX

TOYBOX

Dont Do It. You Will Be Sorry!!!!!!!

27. LEECOUNTYRODS

LEECOUNTYRODS
    from Dixon, IL

Well, its like a 50/50 split with everyone. I have around $16,000 wrapped up in the bike, yea, when I could have took that money and used it on a good build. I have more of you say that the bike is worth more then the Falcon. So I am assuming the Falcon isn't a $16,000 Gasser? So my plan now is this, sell the chopper out right and see what I can get out of it. The good thing is this, my bike has only around 2000 miles because I always having it apart doing something to it. I sometimes love working on them then actually riding them. To funny.... Keep the comments coming. Appreciate it.

28. LEECOUNTYRODS

LEECOUNTYRODS
    from Dixon, IL

Well, I just called the guy and of course not to happy. Again, thanks for waking me up on this deal. I will try and sell it out right and come back with cash to buy someones rod on here. This is what I get when I don't deal with a HAMBER!!!! Appreciate it again!!!!!!!!

29. Dirty2

Dirty2

Falcons are only liked by falcon guys . Which I am one. Thy really dont bring much money . I would sell the bike and build a car or what ever you want. There a ranchero gasser on her that is pretty much new that he has neen asking around 8,500 with no bites . Like stated before your bike should bring between 12 ans 20 . Do the math .