Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hudson Tribute

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket88NZ, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Just finished the sign writing on my 53 Super Wasp with the help of a friend. Wanted to do it the way it would have been done in the 50's, by hand with a brush. It is not a replica just a tribute to Marshall Teague and Henry "Smokey" Yunick. Would have loved a real Hornet but the budget wouldn't stretch to that so this is the next best thing. The lettering is a combination of a couple of Teague cars that I liked. This car came out of New Mexico and was fitted with propane which I have taken off. It was a twin H power car and the carbs came with it so I am rekitting them and the fuel pump at the moment, I also have some Hornet Badges for it, all I need now is a 308 to replace the 262. Can't wait to get her out to dirt track and have some fun.

Attached Files:

2. mackster

mackster

awesome! just plain awesome! I love what you have done to it! it looks like it just came out of the movies CARS! I am always pleasantly surprised when I see tribute cars... Great Job! :)

3. I love Hudsons. Great looking car!

4. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

Propane!? Put some pictures from under the hood up when you get done. Not normally into tribute cars, but I think you did a great job.

5. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Thanks Johnny, just mocked up in this pic, the aircleaners are off a 56 would like to get the correct 53 ones eventually. Will remove the fog lights and spot light too. Have been getting a hard time about the visor with strong suggestions that I should take it off but I kind of like the look although I know the race cars would never have run them. What do you think?

Attached Files:

6. 52chevydeluxePDX

52chevydeluxePDX

man thats really awesome! Leave the visor. I'm a sucker for visors... nice job on the lettering! Did you make a stencil or take anything off? or was it just by hand?

7. 56Chevy4Dr

56Chevy4Dr
    from Texas

[​IMG]

I guess Disney (the movie Cars), as well as yourself, was inspired by Smokey Yunick.
    Cool!!! I also learned something of Smokey.

Great car & Great post,

8. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

that, my friend, is one of my dream cars. Heres some inspiration for you...

Attached Files:

9. Great old Hudson tribute car and Walt Disney would love the visor because it looks like a carTOON with it on, but Smokey Yunick and Marshall Teague would be bustin' Kiwi beer bottles over your head if you leave it on there mate!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  10. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Awesome! You should send some pix to Jack Miller from the Yspilanti Auto Museum. PS Lose the visor:rolleyes:

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doc Hudson rocks!

12. Awesome. My boys would freak out if they saw your car.

13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I think it looks great!! Well done. Lippy

14. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

very cool.....looks great.

15. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Great job. Hudsons rock. Leave the visor.

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Now, if THAT is a "clone" car, it's the most WELCOME clone my eyes have EVER seen!!! Fantastic job, Rocket88 !!!

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yeah, and as Czuch said, the visor is COOL (despite the drag! LOL)

18. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Thanks for the feedback guys, so far its 3 for the visor and 2 against and for the record it's my old mate from Texas "stilloutthere" thats been giving me a hard time about the visor.

19. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

I Just used a couple of old brochures to copy off and drew it out myself with a wax pencil. I had a friend come around that does tattoo work and he outlined in paint what I had drawn on one side which I finished off and then felt confident to do the other side myself. The other side was harder because I didn't have a picture of it to copy.

20. Gigantor

Gigantor

I love it! But since you're in your racing suit, I'd personally lose the visor. :)

21. raven

raven

Lose the visor. Hang it up in your garage as wall art.
    Love the car.
    r

22. Since you posted that another "lose it" has come in and what these readers don't know is that you have a buddy with a '53 Chrysler NYer road race car to meet out on some lonely stretch of Kiwi roadway some day. It would be a shame for the Hudson with all your hard work to get totally covered with Hemi dust and stones. Although, I assure you, the view of the tail lights of the big New Yorker going by you is very attractive FROM UNDER THAT VISOR. LOL, all meant in good humor pardner.

Attached Files:

23. super-six

super-six

....as long as we are going in a straight line and don't hit any curves!

24. strawberry

strawberry

cool just way cool, is it going to be driven regularly or just a show now and then,

25. storm king

storm king

How cool! When I was a kid about 9; my family first started drag racing. At our local track there was one of the Hudson Hornets, painted very similar, and it was the national record holder in something like K/S. I loved that car, and my Dad told me they were real fast (we were racing a brand new max wedge Dodge, so he meant for their time) It only ran that first year we were there, then disappeared. Fast forward to the early '90's and I'm talking to Jack Clifford (6=8) on the phone and we were talking about the old days and I mentioned that car and Jack says, I've got that car now. I asked him what he was doing with it and he says I'm going to run it at Bonneville. I don't know what became of it as Jack died a while after that.
    I just watched CARS the other night and my wife is rolling her eyes, but Doc Hudson just totally makes that movie for me.

26. Very nice job! I loves me some Hudsons! :)
    JK

27. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Ivan Zarembas Hudson, most of the motor had Smoky's hand on it at some point, but Ivans work is incredibly meticulous. Ivan can really drive as well.

Attached Files:

28. Hot Snot we're in business now!!! :D :cool:

29. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Will take it to selected events and for a drive whenever I can,really want to get on a dirt track and see what they must have felt like to race. Even if I'm not driving it I get a lot of enjoyment out of sitting in the shed with a beer looking at it and dreaming of Daytona Beach 51 and 52 when Teague was smokin Em!
    Looks like the odds are stacking up against keeping the visor on though.