Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hudson Joe's awesome WWII influenced Roadster !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crossroads, Oct 31, 2008.

1. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

The history on the car is that it was raced at el mirage in the 50's thru the mid 60's.But as I was starting to really dig into this car the hardware used to fasten the lower cowl panels had 1940's AN close tolerance fsteners.The body was thouroughly lightened.All braces and any extra weight was removed and the doors where gas welded and leaded shut,which really lead me to believe that they were planing on going in the 200 mph club.or really fuckin fast.The cowl was cut out to accomadate a multicarb system and or possibly a blower.and the rear apron behind the river was removed and the driver sat far into the trunk area.The decklid was cut out so a roll bar could take it's space.this was definitley a race car a
    single seated machine.when i got the body it still had all of the lead and some of the original blue frost paint on it.and of course the identifying roadrunner deck lid.

Attached Files:

2. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

Jim kougaz hemi powered 27,ray brown's belly tanker,spurgin's chevy 4 27 t,navarro's track nose 27,niekamp's 29,calori's 29,romeo palamides....All of that is what I wanted in my roadster.I wanted to take al little bit of all.They were all great cars.

3. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

The mill in between the rails is a 1949 lincoln 337 ci flathead with an edmunds aluminum intake that takes 2 holley 996 linc. merc carbs.The ignition is factory but I going centrifugal advance soon.The nigne was puched out to 30.stock cam but that will soon change and I am going to put in a joe panic roto phase ign. with a reground high lift cam.and then jahns Pistons and change valve size.I am running a commercial open drive truck trans 3 spd 41-47.and a commercial banjo rear diff.1939 juice to 40's ford steelies with 6 ply truck tires in the back and firestone 5.00 ribbed racers in the front.The axle is an old drop.poss. dago who nows.steering box is 37 ford cross flipped on it's side with custom brackets.The adapter is a 1949 lincoln to ford top loader mc bar adapter ususally found on muntz jet applications.Along with the intake it was probably from a muntz application.I had to use a truck flywheel and a 12 inch clutch.and truck t.o. brg.frame is a 29 model a ford lengthened 4 inches to take the long lincoln motor and I didnt want to feel like i was sitting in a van.All the gauges in the dash are authentic re-calibrated ww2 p-38 dual temp gauge conv. to water temp originally manifold temp for the dual superchargers for the p-38.the oil press.gauge is from a b-17 dual oil press. gauge engines #3#4 t into one for one reading only.the mag switch is from a p-38 on of switch to ign.and the tach is from a navy trainer reads rpm .I used all aircraft wiring red white and blue striped wiring.And i laced allof the wiring with wax filled lacing.NO ZIP TIES.

Attached Files:

4. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Man, that car is so cool! I like it, it's not the typical stuff you find around.

5. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

The exhaust system is aircraft inspired.It is similar to a 1940's continental engine exhaust sytem.And resembles jack calori's set up.It is all oxy- acetylene welded.And it will soon be nickel plated along with the grill and crash bars.and axle and all of the suspension and steering gear.

6. VanHook

VanHook

Man, Nice work! Very tastefully done!!!

7. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Heres another picture of "Joe Barris" from last nights Halloween party!

Attached Files:

8. spence-d

spence-d

Really nice - Love it!

Your efforts have rewarded you handsomely - thanks for sharing.

It looks like it is straight from the pages of Robert Genats "Birth of Hotrodding".

9. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

awesome little critter!

10. crossroads

crossroads

Hi Joe,
    That Black & White photo of your car in front of (what i assume is ) your home is incredible. Looks like it was taken 60 years ago.

You guys really eat,breathe,and sleep this lifestyle.

Way to go ;)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  11. Wow, fuckin killer lil car, total lilttle pages ride!

-Shiny

12. sololobo

sololobo

Sunday morning coming down!! Well not quite, old dude that I am, stayed home to watch football on TV and then go to Malcolm's Halloween party. Fell asleep at about 9:30 and woke up about 1:30. Missed one of the best partys in Omaha, Damn. Well viewing this bad ass little machine is a nice reward for being up very early. What great taste and workmanship. Rocked my world, thanx for sharing info on a super cool hot rod. Down and Shifter bound for this creative young builder. Keep them diesels rolling and that roadster rockin!!~Sololobo~

13. axle

axle
    from Drag City

What Joe forgot to mention is, i think its fair to say that he built his roadster around that grille.
    It used to hang on the wall of his old garage. He found it 10 years ago from an elderly man at a swapmeet. it had a bunch of lead on it and weighed a ton. The bottom part was missing so Joe formed some steel on his home made english wheel,grafted it on, then made the grille insert that was also missing. You couldn't tell by looking at it now, looks all original.

14. I would love to see that wiring job!?

15. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

I love those black and white pictures too but I just wish those new cars were not in the back ground. Is that something that can be photoshopped out?

16. Skrap metal

Skrap metal

great job joe, very well done!

17. autobilly

autobilly

Congratulations Hudsonjoe, looks like you not only made that ice kool roadster but also the Shifters. I really dig the sepia pic of the car outside your house; magic!

18. Stone

Stone

Great lookin ride.

19. OLLIN

OLLIN

here's an engine/header shot that not on here yet...
    dig that aircraft oil filter!!
    [​IMG]

20. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

met joe a couple years back, talented and genuinly nice/humble guy- good work

21. axle

axle
    from Drag City

One is near downtown (our home away from home) and the other is at the Chino airport - the outskirts of Chino/Ontario

22. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Here's a little something that goes along with this thread. Enjoy.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/61i7FAVdUSE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/61i7FAVdUSE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

23. That's quite interesting. My T roadster body (which I bought off a HAMBer from Fresno) had the same kind of modifications....no decklid, no panel above the decklid, filled cowl, no seat backpanel, exhaust holes in the cowl (2) and doors (1), all bracing removed and every panel was welded to it's neighbour...and rust-eaten! Unfortunately, mine had been sand-blasted and etch-primed before being severely bogged over and painted black, so no original colour left.

24. Clutched

Clutched

That car rules! Hudson Joe is a super nice and talented guy with a great eye. i love this car.

Attached Files:

25. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Joe's A roadster, in my opinion, is one of the best thought out and well built hot rods in recent years. I'm lucky to call him a friend and have enjoyed watching this car come together in the past few years. Everything on the car has a place and reason and the quality and style of workmanship is just how it would have been done 60+ years ago. I'm looking forward to seeing it again soon, Joe.

Oh, and your '49 Hudson ain't bad either...:)

26. VanHorton

VanHorton

awesome car... definatly one of the nicer hot rods i've seen lately. I love the headers. Great build.

27. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow, there are so many cool details on this car! Thanks for the details and photos. Hopefully we can see more (chassis) build-up photos. There are a couple ideas that I want to use on my 'A' Roadster build...

Malcolm

28. crossroads

crossroads

Well said!
    Ya know, i don't want to talk bad about anyones ride, but why on Earth would someone take a mid century truck cab and channel over a home made frame, with a suicide front end thats 2 blocks in front of the engine, when you could build this !

Whoever posted that video earlier , thanks

29. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Wow, in seeing more photos, it definitely rocks.

I love the house too.

Looks like we have a crapload in common! :D

30. Cannot agree more with what has been said. Very, very nice guy who builds bitchin things. Still cannot figure out why you are friends with McNugget though...j/k