Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Hubcaps - The Latest & Greatest

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 23, 2010.

1. mj40's

mj40's

My point exactly! Lots of cheap repops out there but very poor quality. Nothing like the real thing.

2. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

Real caps are still cheaper than a set of wheels. A real set of sombreros are less than 400 bucks and those are probably the most sought after. If you're not looking for Lancers or Caddys and want something a little different you're usually in for less than 100 bucks. Spider caps are 175.
    I love caps because your options are endless. It's up to you to figure out what looks right. It's not about opening a catalog and buying the right "retro" wheel. It takes a creative eye and that obsession that drives us to get up at 5 am and walk around an infield for 3 hours waiting to be inspired by the shape of a wheel cover.

3. OK, so here I go, Im going to say it, ready.......In my opinion.............Yep I said it,,,SWOOSH(keyboard just flew by my left ear)!!! 1956 Cadillac caps are some of the nicest caps ever stamped, GM just made it a real pain puttin them on anything but a Caddy wheel!!!!! It always amazed me that it seams the whole wheel and brake package was engineered around that cap.

4. Does anyone on here know who made the polished bonneville style hubcaps? I can't seem to find much official info on them.

5. Probably need to clarify that question :) Did Moon ever make a polished version of the flat moon disc? I've seen these polished versions a lot in the digest hot rod mags and I've been wondering if they came like or just modifed by the owner?

6. Hubcaps rule. Such a small detail on the overall car when you think about it. But, It could make a decent car absolutely perfect.
    There are many kickass hubcaps, but some of my favorites are Lyon's, early Caddy sombrero and '39 Ford wide five.

7. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

were would I find a pair of one bar ripple (hollywood) caps early to mid 40's anybody got any? thanks

8. Gator

Gator

Cool topic - Looking for ideas for my Shoebox.

BTW what's the deal with guys calling every wheel cover with a raised center 'Sombreros'? Drives me nuts.

9. Caps are cool..run 'em if you 'gottem!

10. I have that magazine (its a little one) the weird thing is that i found it here in argentina... that pink custom on the cover its just UGLY ! haha

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You're not getting it.

12. switchkid0

switchkid0

The article mentions that some of the covers were "dyed". Does anyone have any idea what process may have been used? Any first-hand accounts of dyeing a wheel cover?

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

cant imagine dying caps ! these i really like : [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

... yes they are the small cup size , but good enuff for me ! ................ steve

14. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I have had these ( only 2 ) for about 8 years, I would love to find 2 more.
    I am sure they are aftermarket. the center is not a rear gear, it is hollow and made of pot metal.
    anyone recognize it?

[​IMG]

15. toucan

toucan
    from sc

went with some packard clipper hubcaps on my 59 ford. trying to keep with the whole land yacht theme!

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      487.1 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      532.4 KB
      Views: